Pick just 2 modules...a modulator & osc for example..

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:48 pm

From experience: Synth Tech E355 Morphing Dual LFO and E580 Resampling Mini-Delay: (yes, a cheat because I used mixing modules and a reverb pedal too :oops: )

[video][/video]

Now, if I could guess at euro modules I haven't used, I might swap out the E580 in the above setup I might take one of the following instead, not because I have a problem with the E580, I love it :love: but there are larger and more expensive modules that do MOAR!

Modcan Dual Delay (I have the 5U version and it is great!)
Strymon Generalissimo (never used)
Intellijel Cylonix Rainmaker (never used)

raised eyebrows
Learning to Wiggle

Post by raised eyebrows » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:11 am

MossGarden wrote:I have rather basic skiff at the moment (Tides/Clouds/Peaks/Mother 32) and the Tides+Clouds combo has been making me smile for nearly 6 months now. Tides as an OSC and record sounds into Cloud's buffer, freeze it. Then us the Tides Parasite Two Drunks mode to randomly modulate Clouds and trigger grains, just one example, it can generate a wealth of lovely sounds. Put Clouds in its Parasite resonator mode and send Tides into that is another I love.
Ha- this is good to hear, as I just made my first tentative foray into the euro world after about 2 days going nuts with the 0 coast (literally within an hour of opening the box I was basically like 'oh, ok, holy shit I get why modular is amazing now, time to put some stuff on eBay stat') and Tides and Clouds were the two modules I got! Anyway, back to refreshing tracking info every half hour until they arrive...

Snail
Common Wiggler

Post by Snail » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:52 am

I like this thread idea. I'm going to have to try this... Just play with two modules on their own and see what I can generate.

Maths + Maths was the first idea I thought of... But people have already mentioned that.

Maths + Batumi is what I'll try first.

Also makes me think of this fellow's video of the 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator + Maths with nothing else, which I really like:
[video][/video]

MutantLabs
Common Wiggler

Post by MutantLabs » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:09 am

I am just starting out (still waiting for my power supply...) and my first modules are a Maths for modulation and a Clouds for audio mangling.
It's not really self-contained as it does not have a sound-source per se, so am I allowed to use my phone?
Even if not, I would not want to part with the Maths, so I'd use it as a sound generator.

dlabtot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dlabtot » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:30 am

In my rig it would be braids and maths.

infection
Common Wiggler

Post by infection » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:18 am

Audio Damage Sequencer 1 and Harvestman Piston Honda.
The 3 CV outs from the sequencer into x, y, z on the PH... Madness!

Snail
Common Wiggler

Post by Snail » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:10 am

MutantLabs wrote:I am just starting out (still waiting for my power supply...) and my first modules are a Maths for modulation and a Clouds for audio mangling.
It's not really self-contained as it does not have a sound-source per se, so am I allowed to use my phone?
Even if not, I would not want to part with the Maths, so I'd use it as a sound generator.
Anything's allowed! Clouds provides some gain, so plugging your iphone directly into it would actually work. You could also use Maths to generate audio-frequency oscillation, as you note.

So instead of Maths + Batumi first as I had planned, I actually explored Batumi + Clouds as the only two modules, and had some fun with it.... You could do similar stuff and more with Maths.

[video][/video]

NeonCore
Common Wiggler

Post by NeonCore » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:58 pm

Shapeshifter + Planar... Dronetastic!

guestt

Post by guestt » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:40 pm

Snail wrote:I like this thread idea.

Also makes me think of this fellow's video of the 4ms Spectral Multiband Resonator + Maths with nothing else, which I really like:
[video][/video]
+1 for the thread idea, some really interesting suggestions - thanks everyone!!

...and that's really nice demo of whats possible with just two modules and one of the nicest things I've heard the SMR - thanks for sharing!! :mrgreen:

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:49 pm

some really awesome ideas here thanks guys, going to take me ages to dissect all of this, just what I wanted to see..

:tu:

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:12 pm

the Maths and resonator video is particularly nice and explores exactly what I had in my mind..

it's interesting that maths appears in a lot of examples people have put up..

adamon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adamon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:39 pm

do expanders count as a third? if not, tyme sefari mkii + SOT and zorlon mkii (officially "most fun evar" pair...). If so, proly double andore mki and hertz d mki... :cloud:

kirklandish
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kirklandish » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:55 pm

adamon wrote:do expanders count as a third?
hehe... I was rethinking my original answer, I would take Quadra + Expander (which I have) and Element (which I don't). I could run with this set up for awhile.

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:41 am

expanders are in as long as they aren't extra sound sources and are just logic or CV/gate extras..

I'd really like to hear or see someone who could generate a synth line and a simple beat with just two modules..

XponentOne
Veteran Wiggler

Post by XponentOne » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:29 am

Fiddlestickz wrote:expanders are in as long as they aren't extra sound sources and are just logic or CV/gate extras..

I'd really like to hear or see someone who could generate a synth line and a simple beat with just two modules..
Could easily be done with braids(bitt)+maths... or maybe braids(bitt) + octocontroller, though only if could chuck in a mixer like shades or something (is where maths has the upper hand) - could prob make a full (admittedly minimalist) song with these. In fact may have to try it out!

guestt

Post by guestt » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:42 am

XponentOne wrote:
Fiddlestickz wrote:expanders are in as long as they aren't extra sound sources and are just logic or CV/gate extras..

Could easily be done with braids(bitt)+maths... or maybe braids(bitt) + octocontroller, though only if could chuck in a mixer like shades or something (is where maths has the upper hand) - could prob make a full (admittedly minimalist) song with these. In fact may have to try it out!
Yeah, my thoughts too, it really needs just the little bit more... (famous last words!! hehehe)

D Beau
Wiggling with Experience

Post by D Beau » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:27 am

Varigate 4 + Rings would be my choice. Varied and lovely results on their own, but with a bit of overdubbing, you could make wonderful rhythmic tracks. Add a CV keyboard (cheater!) that's a pretty swell setup all on it's own.

titanium
Common Wiggler

Post by titanium » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:54 pm

ive been playing all day with the 4ms DLD, feeding it noises from MI Instiments... OMG, I think ican sell the rest of my modular and just keep those two. :ripbanana:

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:53 am

raised eyebrows wrote:
MossGarden wrote:I have rather basic skiff at the moment (Tides/Clouds/Peaks/Mother 32) and the Tides+Clouds combo has been making me smile for nearly 6 months now. Tides as an OSC and record sounds into Cloud's buffer, freeze it. Then us the Tides Parasite Two Drunks mode to randomly modulate Clouds and trigger grains, just one example, it can generate a wealth of lovely sounds. Put Clouds in its Parasite resonator mode and send Tides into that is another I love.
Ha- this is good to hear, as I just made my first tentative foray into the euro world after about 2 days going nuts with the 0 coast (literally within an hour of opening the box I was basically like 'oh, ok, holy shit I get why modular is amazing now, time to put some stuff on eBay stat') and Tides and Clouds were the two modules I got! Anyway, back to refreshing tracking info every half hour until they arrive...
You're in for a good long haul flight of fun there. Clouds is a mindblower, you can treat it as a granular wavetable synth, feed it various wave shapes from tides at various pitches, then modulate the hell out of the controls. With the 0Coast aswel... Wild times! :deadbanana:

Iridite
Common Wiggler

Post by Iridite » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:54 am

Is it cheating to use an external keyboard with CV/Gate to trigger the modules (I'm a melodic sort of guy mostly)??

Can I use an Arturia Microbrute please?

In which case it's Mutable Braids and Tides for me - feed the output back into the audio in on the MicroBrute and you've got a damn interesting synth for.....not a lot of money! The Braids is giving you a whole load of different oscillator types and models (And even a basic envelope) and the Tides is everything from an Attack/Release envelope to a crazy VCO, both really flexible and useful modules.

mheumann
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mheumann » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:13 am

Either DPO & Rings

OR Piston Honda mkII & Rings

OR Stillson Hammer mkII & Rings

OR Rings & anything else

novotnik
Common Wiggler

Post by novotnik » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:52 pm

and what about benjolin and just friends ? both of them are fantastic and quite complete on their own already...

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:58 pm

Iridite wrote:Is it cheating to use an external keyboard with CV/Gate to trigger the modules (I'm a melodic sort of guy mostly)??

Can I use an Arturia Microbrute please?

In which case it's Mutable Braids and Tides for me - feed the output back into the audio in on the MicroBrute and you've got a damn interesting synth for.....not a lot of money! The Braids is giving you a whole load of different oscillator types and models (And even a basic envelope) and the Tides is everything from an Attack/Release envelope to a crazy VCO, both really flexible and useful modules.
no that would be massively cheating, the whole idea is to get as deep down creative as you can just using two euro rack modules and some patch cables..

that's it...pick any two, there are thousands to choose from, the point is to extract as much sound as possible from just two modules, using one as a modulator gives you the ability to make repeating patterns, so you could use a Doepfer LFO and Elements for example, with the LFO you have 5 different modulation outs with varying speeds..,plug them all into an Elements or some other fantastic oscillator and see what wonderful poly rhythms you can conjure up..

no keyboards or effects...just two modules and some patch cables..

PompeiiRuler
Common Wiggler

Post by PompeiiRuler » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:03 am

Varigate 4 + Mysteron

Having fun sending gates to excite x 2, !! and impulse inputs

Fiddlestickz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Fiddlestickz » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:57 am

been a few suggest Varigate, I must investigate this module further..

Return to “Eurorack Modules”