delptronics LDB-2e release date?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:17 pm

on first listen, overall the drum sounds are much better than the original. kick especially. seems punchy.

nice V2 !

Ty
Common Wiggler

Post by Ty » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:02 am

MindMachine wrote:
Ty wrote:I too have been waiting for this since I saw it at NAMM in Jan. and picked it up as soon as I got the notification. :bananaguitar:

This is my new drum configuration. I already got my Trigger Man and dig it.
I like the individual outs/volumes on some/all voices. Nice upgrade.

Did you get the expander too? Do the added features give a fair amount of versatility?
Yeah, I ordered the expander as well so I cannot answer your question yet. It will get here soon! :party: I have been using a MFB SEQ-01 and Tip Tops since my modular beginnings. I am primarily a video wiggler and I really suck at making beats. lol I like the ease and randomness this new setup will bring. I also have an EMW Digi-Drum that has 99 sounds in it. Just like now, I will use that when I can't find what I am looking for percussion wise.

This is also a move to help make more HP available. :nana:

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainRockout » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:18 am

Hey all. Newbie here. Been messing around with synths like the Microbrute, BSII, and others for awhile and finally decided to get into modular. The LDB-2e and LDB-2x are actually the first modules I've bought. I'm curious to hear what everyone else plans to use for triggering them. I have a Beatstep Pro that should work great, but as I research different modules I am super tempted by ones like Mutable Instrument's Grids. I love the idea of it being hands on and knobby rather than directly sequencing. I also really like that you can adjust complexity and play around. Would be nice if it could control more than 3 parts, but I suppose I could always throw in other modules as well. Anything else out there I should be considering?

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:38 am

Using a Plog or other Logic module is important for me. Also I cannot trig if I dont use my DC1drumcomputer from Soundmachines or the Stillson Hammer V1 is also amazing. and never forget the 4MS Clock Divider and Multiplier. I should receive my LDB-2e and LDB-2x shortly and cant wait to join this with my other perc module ( SD1simpledrum + Asteroid BD + uFoldII + Bassimilus ) :yay: :oops:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:46 am

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

you can sequence beat with those sequencers even if they're not aimed for this :yay:

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainRockout » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Sweet gear! I looked up the Intellijel Plog. Logic modules are a bit over my head right now, but I hope to learn them as I work my way into modular. After the LDB2 modules, my goal is to get a Mother 32 and slowly add more modules as I learn (and set aside funds :lol: ). You're right about the ER-101 seeming a bit intimidating at first. They all look like quite powerful and complex modules, which is why the Grids appealed to me as a start. Thanks for sharing all those. Really digging all the LEDs you have :yay:

robotopsy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotopsy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:15 pm

I think your best choice would be this one if you need just one module

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/qu-bit-electronix-rhythm

Foghorn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Controlling LDB-2e

Post by Foghorn » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:44 am

I am using a Grids as the master clock, clocking Pamela and A-160,A-161 dividers.

I will have to look into some of the other drum controllers, but the grids, Pamela combo is working pretty good for me.

I also use the Nanorand to modulate gate signals for percussion, probably the best use for that module.

Suddenly I have Tiptop drum modules, LDB-2e and Peaks.
On top of that I sometimes use one of my Braids for a percussion voice of one kind or another, there are so many possibilities with Braids if you turn on the VCA that almost any of it's voices can be some sort of percussion sound.

So, now I need to put a 6 input mixer in for percussion, that one that I took out of the rack :confused:
Finding that I need this mixing capability shows me that I have enough percussion finally.

The LDB-2e, the subject of this thread is a pretty good sounding drum kit.
I especially like the broad selection of sounds, and they sound pretty damn clean and sharp.

How did my modular start sounding like a high school marching band :eek:

If you want "regular" sounding percussion tracks, the "little drummer Boy" is one of the clearer, cleaner sounding choices, even if it is a little bit of a throwback to the 80's ala.. Roland drum machines.

Foghorn

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Post by CaptainRockout » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:57 am

robotopsy wrote:I think your best choice would be this one if you need just one module

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/qu-bit-electronix-rhythm
That looks perfect! Ticks all of the boxes in what I was looking for. Nice and knobby, not just a manual entry sequencer, and can easily dial up or down complexity and variations. I did not even realize Qu-Bit made that. I had previously checked out their Chord and Octone modules. They look nicely built. Thank you for the recommendation. This will give me some solid functionality to start with for percussion. My overall goal is to start with a modest modular set up and expand as I learn and identify specific needs. For a synth voice I'll be starting with a Mother 32 and possibly a Maths (seems to be at the top of every list and will be a good one to learn and keep busy with for awhile). Thanks again!

CaptainRockout
Common Wiggler

Re: Controlling LDB-2e

Post by CaptainRockout » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:31 am

Foghorn wrote:The LDB-2e, the subject of this thread is a pretty good sounding drum kit.
I especially like the broad selection of sounds, and they sound pretty damn clean and sharp.

If you want "regular" sounding percussion tracks, the "little drummer Boy" is one of the clearer, cleaner sounding choices, even if it is a little bit of a throwback to the 80's ala.. Roland drum machines.

Foghorn
Agreed! I first saw the original LDB-1 on a synth site some time ago and thought it was neat module for the size, price, and sound. Once I heard about the LDB-2 the temptation was too great. Seems like a great starting point for someone like myself. Gives you a full analog kit to mess with. I can always buy individual modules later as needed :razz:

I have seen Pamela's Workout referenced quite a bit. I'll have to check it out.

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Finally had a chance to hook up my LDB-2 to a trigger riot and go nuts today. It sounds outstanding. Best bang for hp buck in my rack, displacing the Braids for that honor...

Silver
Common Wiggler

Post by Silver » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:06 am

Is there even another competitive analog drum module with multiple drums anywhere near this small? Not being rhetorical, I'm actually asking...

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:52 am

Silver wrote:Is there even another competitive analog drum module with multiple drums anywhere near this small? Not being rhetorical, I'm actually asking...
nope. and certainly not something w/individual outs.

bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:57 am

Anyone besides me have this yet? First impressions of both the ldb2e and expander....

Fun set of modules. The individual outs seem to have the high end rolled off compared to the mix out which is odd, would be interested if others have same experience. The snare pitch control is much more subtle than the others and I wish the decay on the kick was longer, won't get that mega boom drop with this, but overall the sounds are very good and very usable. Love the sidestick and hat sounds, kind of meh on the snare raw. Individual outs are much appreciated (wish low and hi tom had sep outs too) and cv over pitch is super fun. Output volume is low compared to my other modules but not overly so. While not quite the one drum module to rule them all I was hoping for I can see this being essential kit for many people. Given the combo of good sound, features, and price I'd recommend it but def get the expander too for the cv control.

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:09 am

do the hats choke each other 808 style?

bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:58 am

droningsphagettimonster wrote:do the hats choke each other 808 style?
The hats do choke each other, I'll have to play some more tonight but I seem to remember the closed taking priority.

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 pm

bkbirge wrote:
droningsphagettimonster wrote:do the hats choke each other 808 style?
The hats do choke each other, I'll have to play some more tonight but I seem to remember the closed taking priority.
Thx for the answer. I'm actually interested in this, there are plenty of boom boom options out there. I loved the original ldb-1, but the kick was way too boomy for my taste to be usable without heavy eq-ing. The hats on the original are great though, so is the snare, very "cheesy" and 80s. love it! I might actually consider this module. Wish that the trigger man seq would do fills though. Why did that option vanish from drum machines? Its the best thing about the cr8000 and kr55!

Astronaut FX
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Astronaut FX » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Just got mine last night, but only had a short time to play around with them. I bought the pair (LDB-2e and LDB-2x).

I tried controlling with an Octocontroller and then a Beatstep Pro. Both worked beautifully, and played very nicely with the Delptronics modules.

The drum sounds are all pretty good. Not top shelf good, but pretty damned good, and way better than you would expect for the cost. IMO, the snare was the weakest link, not because it sounds bad, but because the tone control is so subtle. Had someone else not mentioned the same thing, I might even think that control was faulty. Its not, it's just very subtle.

The expansion really brings the drums alive with cv modulation, so I'd highly recommend buying the pair.

I didn't get a chance to mess much with the individual outputs yet, and stuck with the mix out. I got some great sounds by using a mult to split the signal, sending one through a Boss RE20 Space Reverb, into a panning mixer, and mixing with the dry signal. So in other words, the wet signal was being modulated left to right, with the dry signal panned dead center.

Overall, a terrific value, very usable sounds, high cv potential, and (mostly) individual outputs. I would have liked a broader range of tones for the snare, but honestly, that's the extent of the "cons" for this pair of modules.

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:26 pm

Thx for the updates! Have one with the expander on the way myself.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:52 pm

could anyone post a demo focused on the hihats and how they interact with each other (choke) with various decay settings? :hmm:

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:02 pm

droningsphagettimonster wrote:could anyone post a demo focused on the hihats and how they interact with each other (choke) with various decay settings? :hmm:
Here you go. Mind you, I got my LDB-2e, expander and Trigger Man about three hours ago and had to do some work.

Here's the track and a bit of a description of it - can be read in the soundcloud description as well...

https://soundcloud.com/imnotdedyet/ldb-2e-demo

Just got the Delptronics LDB-2e and expander along with a Delptronics Trigger Man. Great stuff and small on the hp!

Here's a demo for someone that wanted to hear the hats, but it includes all of the sounds in the LDB-2e. All from the Mix Out except the Snare which really struggles to be heard in the Mix Out. So I individually sent that to my mixer. OH gets choked by CH a bit in as I cranked the OH decay knob on the expander, then I CVd the decay of the OH so every other measure it would be small decay, then large decay.

Trigger Man clocked by Batumi, and about halfway through I decided to get snarky and try messing with the CV inputs for the pitch of a few of the sounds. Everything went through a Mackie mixer into Babyface Pro to DAW. I threw a limiter on the track to get it as loud as possible, but not clip. There's a spot where the kick comes in that will be limited a few DBs, but then I found the sweet spot and the limiter never kicked in again.

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:07 pm

Astronaut FX wrote:Just got mine last night, but only had a short time to play around with them. I bought the pair (LDB-2e and LDB-2x).

The drum sounds are all pretty good. Not top shelf good, but pretty damned good, and way better than you would expect for the cost. IMO, the snare was the weakest link, not because it sounds bad, but because the tone control is so subtle. Had someone else not mentioned the same thing, I might even think that control was faulty. Its not, it's just very subtle.

The expansion really brings the drums alive with cv modulation, so I'd highly recommend buying the pair.

I didn't get a chance to mess much with the individual outputs yet, and stuck with the mix out. I got some great sounds by using a mult to split the signal, sending one through a Boss RE20 Space Reverb, into a panning mixer, and mixing with the dry signal. So in other words, the wet signal was being modulated left to right, with the dry signal panned dead center.
The snare is probably the weakest thing in there IMO. Hats are nice, really like the toms, kick is good although I'd like a bit more decay, wood block is good, RS is probably my second least favorite. But overall it's a nice piece of kit for small and can get you break and butter drum sounds for cheap and low HP.

Definitely recommend the expander if only for not only the CV control, but you also have knobs to control pitch on everything and decay on OH and kick.

Everything is considerably louder coming out of the individual outs. I had to take the snare out of the individual out to get it heard in the mix I just posted. Didn't listen closely enough to determine if there's a difference other than volume though.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:11 pm

thanks. 8-)

7C
Common Wiggler

Post by 7C » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:55 am

when you use the kick direct out, is it then cut off from the mix out? just as with classic drum machines?

ImNotDedYet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:15 am

7C wrote:when you use the kick direct out, is it then cut off from the mix out? just as with classic drum machines?
Yes, anything where you take the direct out is removed from the mix out. If you direct out everything that can be, you're left with RS/wood block only on the mix out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”