Announcement: ** Jones O'Tool Plus **

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:50 pm

phutureboy wrote:Hi Dave, quick question I have here:
For some reason I have tried my O'Tools+ with an Arturia MiniBrute and all waveshapes are displayed perfectly in Scope Mode, but when in Frequency/Tuner mode the O'Tools+ doesn't seem to react with the saw or square waves, only with the sine or triangle wave. As if square and saw were silent...
Any idea what could cause this to happen ?
Because the frequency meter can go down to sub-audio frequencies, it uses a DC-coupled input. But to make sure that both bipolar and unipolar signals can be detected, the threshold that is used to detect the signal is above ground. It is expecting a signal that goes up to at least 1.25 volts and down to at least 0.7 volts. So a unipolar signal (one that is only above ground) that goes down as low as 0.7 volts will trigger it, and a bipolar signal (one that goes plus and minus around ground) that goes at least up to 1.25 volts will trigger it.

So if the signal is very small, or if it is biased very far positive or negative then it won't trigger the frequency meter. For a signal like that you might want to first run it through another module that boosts it, like a buffer, mixer, or other type of amplifier. Or maybe something that adds a bit of bias to it.

The reason there are two threshold voltages (the signal has to go above the upper threshold and then fall below the lower threshold) is so it can reject noise on the signal in order to get a more accurate reading. Otherwise noise could throw off the reading and it would be less accurate.

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Just sold out of my first batch super-fast, but never fear batch 2 is already ordered and will be here at the start of January!

Preorder for these is now open on the site :bananaguitar:

rayjohnson
Common Wiggler

Post by rayjohnson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:21 pm

definitely on my to-buy list
I made a fake radio show:

http://www.houseboatmusic.com/vpr/

Slomen
Common Wiggler

Post by Slomen » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:32 am

Got mine today from Schneidersladen :bananaguitar:

jdvmi00
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jdvmi00 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:37 am

Just ordered one, didn't know this was out there and while looking around at the DATA I stumbled across this scope. Didn't have the patients to wait for the DATA so I pulled the trigger. Was also debating just buying a stand alone scope, but like the immediacy of having one in the rack. Everyone still digging their plus? Looking forward to taking this for a spin.

cincyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by cincyjack » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Newb question: how does a scope utilize a trigger?

cincyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by cincyjack » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:22 pm

cincyjack wrote:Newb question: how does a scope utilize a trigger?
Never mind; just r'd tfm.

TommyRaddcliff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TommyRaddcliff » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:08 am

got mine today. O'Tool+....all my signals are offset. what could be the cause?
my case, my PSU, the O'Tool?

if anyone has any suggestions to offer, would be greatly appreciated.

example Sine wave = +3/-2

thanks in advnace

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:26 pm

Some modules put out waveforms with a DC bias. Other modules that have an AC coupled output and a waveform that is not a pure 50% duty cycle will appear to have a DC bias based on the duty cycle. In that case the apparent bias changes as the duty cycle changes (if it is AC coupled). When a signal is AC coupled it creates a DC centerline that is at a point that is the average of the waveform. So a distorted sine or a square with an uneven duty cycle will be off center.

But if it is DC coupled, chances are the module has a DC bias on the waveform. Discovering things like this about your voltage sources is the beauty of having a scope.

Outtatune
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Outtatune » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:28 pm

daverj wrote:... Discovering things like this about your voltage sources is the beauty of having a scope.
^What he said. And the immediacy of having it right there in your rack is awesome.
"9U is the new guitar pedal"
Current Main Rig

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 pm

I love the original O'Tool

AND

I love the new O'Tool+

Such an important addition to any rig!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:22 pm

Got another pile of these guys in stock if any EU folk are after them :tu:

cincyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by cincyjack » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 am

My new OTP is now unresponsive with only a lit screen.

Is there a factory reset? Not mentioned anywhere insofar as I can see.

jasev
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jasev » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:58 am

cincyjack wrote:My new OTP is now unresponsive with only a lit screen.

What jumper setting have you got the 5v on?? If your bus board doesn't do 5 v stick the jumper on internal, if it does do 5v stick it on external. Think thats right??

Thats how it got explained to me and worked

cincyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by cincyjack » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:41 pm

jasev wrote:

What jumper setting have you got the 5v on?? If your bus board doesn't do 5 v stick the jumper on internal, if it does do 5v stick it on external. Think thats right??

Good call, thanks.; neglected to check.
Funny this is it was working for days.
All is well.

daverj
Vintage Video Wiggler

Post by daverj » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 am

cincyjack wrote:
jasev wrote:

Good call, thanks.; neglected to check.
Funny this is it was working for days.
All is well.
The backlight gets it's power from the -12v rail, while the CPU and display image get their power from either the +12 or +5v rail, depending on that jumper. If the jumper is on external 5v and your system has no 5v supply, then the screen will have a backlight but nothing will display on it and the module does nothing. If your case does have a 5v rail and the jumper is set to external 5v, then it will work, as long as the case has enough 5v to supply it. If you add other modules that need 5v from that rail and the total ends up causing the 5v rail to drop down too low then the modules using it won't have 5 volts on it and won't work. (including the O'Tool if you have that jumper set to external).

Of course if the jumper is set to internal 5v, then as long as the case has a working 12v rail then it will work. But the jumper is there to save you power on your 12v rail, if you have 5v available.

cincyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by cincyjack » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 pm

daverj wrote:
The backlight gets it's power from the -12v rail, while the CPU and display image get their power from either the +12 or +5v rail, depending on that jumper. If the jumper is on external 5v and your system has no 5v supply, then the screen will have a backlight but nothing will display on it and the module does nothing. If your case does have a 5v rail and the jumper is set to external 5v, then it will work, as long as the case has enough 5v to supply it. If you add other modules that need 5v from that rail and the total ends up causing the 5v rail to drop down too low then the modules using it won't have 5 volts on it and won't work. (including the O'Tool if you have that jumper set to external).

Of course if the jumper is set to internal 5v, then as long as the case has a working 12v rail then it will work. But the jumper is there to save you power on your 12v rail, if you have 5v available.
Thanks for the insight.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:01 am

I got mine basically for the gadget factor... could not resist that bright little screen.

But it has had so much use, I have found it totally indispensable for all sorts of applications. OK It is invaluable for quick and accessible tuning, right there in the rack and ready to go. But also calibration, troubleshooting, checking module behaviour etc etc. Bravo!
Last edited by BlackDoors on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:08 am

I'm having O'Tool+ for about a month and it's one of the most important modules in my case. Love it can't live without :nana:

So, I'll get my first banana gear (plumbutter) soon and I want to measure banana socket voltages with O'Tool+. Now, as I understand I have to share the ground with two systems. I did some research and learned one of way doing it is that, connect an audio signal between them (say using audio-in jack at the plumbutter, not banana). This is an easy way but I'm also thinking other ways to share the ground:

1) using banana-aligator cable
Plumbutter has a banana socket specially for ground connection to the other gear. Say I plug a banana-aligator cable to this socket, then what should I bite on the eurorack? If I can make a valid ground sharing connection, in this senario I'm thinking about making a banana-minijack cable (like this: http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsad.html) and connect banana to O'Tool.

2) get or make a format converter (not module, an external box)
Making a format converter doesn't seem complicated. banana sockets, jacks, and a banana socket for the ground. The question is, if this converter is an external independent box made of wood, is it still just soldering jack's gound to banana ground socket?

Sorry if the question is irrelevant to O'Tool, but I hope this may be useful to some people.

Beni Shoga
Common Wiggler

Post by Beni Shoga » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:41 am

I've had mine for an hour and already I'm in love. It's pretty amazing what a simple thing like tuning oscillators easily and accurately in the case can do to a sequence. Having visual representation of my LFOs is one of the main reasons I bought it and that's going to be so helpful. Plus I just love watching a sine wave being folded on the display.

Shledge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Shledge » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:41 pm

I just got mine today. Really helped a lot in knowing exactly what each module outputs etc.

mononoia
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mononoia » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:24 am

I got mine few days ago from moogaudio (I live in canada)

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Tue May 16, 2017 6:12 am

Hi Dave! Still loving my O'tool+. Now that you got through the first couple of batches have you considered what you'd like to do with the expansion header?

funqpatrol
Common Wiggler

trigger input

Post by funqpatrol » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 am

Hi all,

Anyone knows how to use these trigger input?

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: trigger input

Post by EPTC » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am

funqpatrol wrote:Anyone knows how to use these trigger input?
Bumping this to ask the same question. Can anyone give a clear instruction on how to use the trigger?

Do you take the gate from something to trigger and cv to the input, for example? I've tried all kinds of configurations, and never have been able to get it working as I think it's intended to. Do you take the through from trigger to the input, for example? - Thanks.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”