Erica Synths Graphic VCO

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Wa-hey, so glad to hear it

strawberry
Common Wiggler

Post by strawberry » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:57 am

Just ordered mine, should be here next week :banana: :banana:

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:03 am

Do any of you people use the oscilloscope in the settings menu to check cvs or audio?
Is it good enough ?

I think its a great bonus, but I wonder if its pratical as it looks a bit small (third of the screen)
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:10 pm

ludotex wrote:Do any of you people use the oscilloscope in the settings menu to check cvs or audio?
Is it good enough ?

I think its a great bonus, but I wonder if its pratical as it looks a bit small (third of the screen)
It's an internal oscilloscope, great for monitoring what the module is doing, but not practical for monitoring anything else. If you want a decent O-scope, check out the Mordax Data, or the O'toole, or if you're handy with an iron, this thing is awesome. Use mine all the time.

Edit: I have used the CV inputs section on the Oscilloscope to verify signal from incoming modulation sources, and for a rough estimate, just just to see if there is anything at all coming through, it does work, but I feel a lot more comfortable using a $35 kit that could get burnt by some crazy juice coming at it, than a $700 Multi-dimensional Read/Writable Scanning Wavetable Oscillator that sounds beautiful, and I want to keep being so.

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:21 pm

So here's what I hope is a quick question: what is the recalibration procedure for the Graphic VCO? I have looked in the manual and found nothing, but I noticed this when I went into the Calibration menu, but I could find no way to adjust this back to 0v, or adjust the scaling, which is kind of frustrating when playing it with other synths. I have played alongside other synths and without quantization, it's scaling is currently off. If first throw 0v at it, retune another oscillaror to align with it, then give them both 2v, the Graphic VCO will be off by several cents. And the gap widens as the voltage increases.

So I unplugged everything and then I noticed this, which puzzles and frustrates me. Image How do I fix this?

The Grump
Veteran Wiggler

Post by The Grump » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 am

Follow up:

On reboot, it zeroes. As soon as I pop in a cable, it goes to 0.004-0.005v. If I put it into my Disting, and set the the Adder to 0v, it will drop to 0v, also if I put it into the SUM output on my MATHS and set all attenuverters to 12 noon. If I pull the cable out of the Graphic VCO, it stays at 0v. If I pull it out of the Disting or MATHS first, it goes back to 0.004v, and stays there after I pull the cable out of the Graphic VCO. I am very puzzled but this.

I can only guess that the cable is somehow inducting 0.004v out of the air, and when properly grounded, it does not. However, it still does not explain why the scaling is off when I stack it with different other oscillators. I hope that there is something that can be done about this, perhaps in the next OS update. It's quite strange. For now, I guess I'll just generate some cool tones, sample them, and retune with software. :/

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:06 am

For those who are eyeing this module. It seems cymrubeats has the graphic VCO on sale because of overstock. Price is £279 which is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

https://cymrubeats.com

RetroNice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RetroNice » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am

Hi ppl,
I was considering getting the Graphic VCO but from what I can read there are a few too many little issues, from those listed about the suboscillator a couple of pages back to what scares me most which is trouble tuning this VCO the way you would expect, tuning over a number of octaves?

The last message, on this thread, from ES was on the 4th or March mentioned a new Firmware was being worked on.

Anyone has any update on any new firmware been released recently? Fixes?

Thank you :hail:

savethisrocketship
Veteran Wiggler

Post by savethisrocketship » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:43 pm

It's still a pretty feature rich module despite a few quirks. I use mine all the time & love it... but I do hope ES comes through with an update sooner rather than later. It felt like a 'big deal' module leading up to the release but then it felt like they shifted focus onto other things and kinda left it on the back burner :despair:

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Hmm, just got this and first impression is that it’s VERY unfinished. Morphing smoothing does not apply to the knobs, I just could not figure out the relationship of the different CV inputs and how they are labeled versus how they affect the module, scrolling through values with the clicky encoders is slow without any way to jump values, some functionalities are straight up blocked with ”patience, we’ll implement this”... on top of that, my clicky encoders register something like 60% of clicks, which makes it feel numb.

Not impressed so far. Shame, because it seems like a nice-sounding module.

Destinova
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Destinova » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:09 pm

RetroNice wrote:Hi ppl,
I was considering getting the Graphic VCO but from what I can read there are a few too many little issues, from those listed about the suboscillator a couple of pages back to what scares me most which is trouble tuning this VCO the way you would expect, tuning over a number of octaves?
It tracks really well, no problem there. I've moved mine on now. The only thing that annoyed me about it was the lack of any fine tuning option. If you use the built in quantiser it has perfect pitch, but then you really have to tune all your other vcos to this one. But if you tend to tune your oscillators by ear like I do, trying to fine tune the GVCO to other vcos is a pain. I didn't notice any problem with the sub oscillator but maybe I didn't test it closely enough.

Girts23
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Girts23 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:49 am

savethisrocketship wrote:It's still a pretty feature rich module despite a few quirks. I use mine all the time & love it... but I do hope ES comes through with an update sooner rather than later. It felt like a 'big deal' module leading up to the release but then it felt like they shifted focus onto other things and kinda left it on the back burner :despair:
Thank you for comments! Erica Synths are coming up with updates for a module in few weeks ;)

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:51 am

Destinova wrote: It tracks really well, no problem there. I've moved mine on now. The only thing that annoyed me about it was the lack of any fine tuning option.
Yeah this is the thing. I use a Doepfer A-185-2 ( I have two, going to get one more) and fine tuning is very easy using the 1V knob up top.

But of course there should not be a need for an external module to fine tune a VCO.

The problem I have with mine is that the pitch it actually outputs is not the pitch it says on the screen. Entering the calibration screen, shows the pitch is off. My Graphic VCO shows 0.02V with nothing plugged in the V/Oct...so something's up and I need to get to the bottom of it.
For the time being I just use my ears and not trust what the display, shows.

desdinova
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desdinova » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:51 am

I'm sure erica will take care of everyone to their ability. As-is this is a monster VCO for small systems, I use it and a doepfer A-111-3 in a kb37 and want for nothing.

RetroNice
Learning to Wiggle

Post by RetroNice » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:34 am

Girts23 wrote: Thank you for comments! Erica Synths are coming up with updates for a module in few weeks ;)

Cheers for the replies guys :tu:

@Girts23 Thank you for the update, I assume you mean "Erica Synths are coming up with updates for 'The Graphic VCO' module in few weeks
?

Thanks!

Plumbstone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Plumbstone » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:17 am

Any news on what to expect from the upcoming new firmware?

azrrik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by azrrik » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:32 pm

The Grump wrote:Follow up:

On reboot, it zeroes. As soon as I pop in a cable, it goes to 0.004-0.005v. If I put it into my Disting, and set the the Adder to 0v, it will drop to 0v, also if I put it into the SUM output on my MATHS and set all attenuverters to 12 noon. If I pull the cable out of the Graphic VCO, it stays at 0v. If I pull it out of the Disting or MATHS first, it goes back to 0.004v, and stays there after I pull the cable out of the Graphic VCO. I am very puzzled but this.

I can only guess that the cable is somehow inducting 0.004v out of the air, and when properly grounded, it does not. However, it still does not explain why the scaling is off when I stack it with different other oscillators. I hope that there is something that can be done about this, perhaps in the next OS update. It's quite strange. For now, I guess I'll just generate some cool tones, sample them, and retune with software. :/
I just got one of these and mine is also off by 0.004-0.005v once I plug in a cable... Hopefully the upcoming patch addresses this issue. :hail:

vantablack
Common Wiggler

Post by vantablack » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:58 am

It needs a screen saver. Mine also gain v with cable connected.

Graffie
Common Wiggler

Post by Graffie » Sat May 04, 2019 9:30 am

isi909 wrote:Image

Found this... :banana: thx for the note..
Been trying things for a while now but still haven't found it yet. Could you give me a hint please?

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Sat May 04, 2019 3:45 pm

I've also nabbed a Graphic VCO from the recent Cymru Beats offer and I'm experiencing the tuning issue as well. Mine shows version 0.17. It's not clear from this thread if an update to the latest 0.19 cures this as Destinova claims that his/her example was tracking really well before selling it. So what version is showing for those with the tracking problem?

Quite surprised that Erica Synths allowed this to be released with such a basic requirement unfulfilled and no mention of this in any of the reputable demo reviews that I've seen... hmm? Sounds great though! Perhaps I'll wait for the promised 'any-day-now' update before inserting a USB into its rear.

joskery
Veteran Wiggler

Post by joskery » Sat May 04, 2019 6:47 pm

Hmm, is this tuning issue a real issue? If you get a 0.004v offset with a cable plugged in, can you really hear it? And if you can, can’t you just tune the vco accordingly? Or am I missing something here?

BasariStudios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BasariStudios » Sat May 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Had 4 Graphic VCOs. The Module i loved the Most and i just had no luck
with them, i mean technical, always problems on all 4. I still love it.
It is the only Module that i had NO LUCK AT ALL with and i still love it
but better off away from me. I still have one left, with problems.
Reality is a Condition due to Lack of Weed!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun May 05, 2019 4:04 pm

what were the technical problems ?

i just got my first Erica modules and had also to give one back,
and with the other i had for example two freezings today.

.....and i was short bevore buying a Graphic VCO myself, but stumbled over some inconsistencies which had me wait

azrrik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by azrrik » Tue May 07, 2019 8:05 am

joskery wrote:Hmm, is this tuning issue a real issue? If you get a 0.004v offset with a cable plugged in, can you really hear it? And if you can, can’t you just tune the vco accordingly? Or am I missing something here?
You can't just tune the 0.004v away because the tuning knob moves one note at a time. i.e. there is no fine tuning.
wiperactive wrote:It's not clear from this thread if an update to the latest 0.19 cures this as Destinova claims that his/her example was tracking really well before selling it. So what version is showing for those with the tracking problem?
I updated to the 0.19 firmware in hopes that it would fix the tuning problem. It does not.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Tue May 07, 2019 9:55 am

azrrik wrote:I updated to the 0.19 firmware in hopes that it would fix the tuning problem. It does not.
Don't know what the 0.19 update did. The tuning thing is clearly a bug and the manual indicates that you should be able to offset this. Hopefully this function is added in the forthcoming firmware update.

More worryingly, the main encoder click function failed entirely on mine. This rendered the module totally useless as anything other than a sine wave generator (both waves start as sines; the default state of the FX processor is off). Erica have been great about sorting it out, but it has given me pause about modules that start in a default state and then require clicking on encoders to do anything useful...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”