stereo mixer module comparison

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Re: stereo mixer module comparison

Post by igorrr » Sat May 02, 2020 12:47 pm

2xSAM can be jumpered to 5x gain, which brings line levels to modular amplitude.
http://www.happynerding.com/category/2xsam/

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sat May 02, 2020 1:10 pm

WMDevices wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:45 pm
WMD Performance Mixer has 12dB of gain per mono channel, stereo channels are unity. The Channels expander has 30dB of gain for low level sources, specifically designed for bringing line level signals in.
The Performance Mixer looks incredible. In my search I’ve focussed on slightly fewer channels and slightly lower cost, but it looks like it does everything I could need. Mmmm...

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sat May 02, 2020 1:12 pm

igorrr wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:47 pm
2xSAM can be jumpered to 5x gain, which brings line levels to modular amplitude.
http://www.happynerding.com/category/2xsam/
Can the output be set to line level too?

igorrr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by igorrr » Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 pm

No, but you can always decrease the level with the knobs.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sat May 02, 2020 1:32 pm

igorrr wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 1:25 pm
No, but you can always decrease the level with the knobs.
Cool! I really like it can be connected with other modules for additional functions

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun May 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Greetings. First, a big thank you to mdoudoroff for all the work compiling stereo mixers.

I'm looking for a voltage controlled mixer where I can have at least 3 VC stereo input channels, and 1 pre-fader stereo send/return (more is fine too), or no send but a matrix setup that I could arrange as a send. I don't see anything on the list that does it. I have no problem with a matrix mixer or other multi-brand or mult-module solution. Any suggestions? If I didn't want voltage control, I could link together a couple Intellijel mixups or Happy Nerding 3x stereo mixers, but the "send" mix would be post-fader and there would be no voltage control. If the Frap tools "C" modules were stereo, they could work. I don't really need panning. It does need to mix down to left and right channels.

My dream would be something like Frames but with 4 VC stereo channels and 1-2 pre-fader VC sends. Thoughts?
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun May 03, 2020 3:49 pm

JES, if I understand correctly, then I’m thinking you’re not going to find all that in one package. You’ll have to roll your own combo. Doepfer just posted this guy on MG. It’s not out yet, but may be of interest: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-135-3

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun May 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks. Yes, that one looks very promising; I’d just need to Jimmy a “send” setup somehow.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sun May 03, 2020 5:16 pm

There are some ambiguities in how you intend to patch and mix all these stereo sources, but here are a few thoughts:

Make Noise X-Pan can be useful as a stereo submixer to send to effects. You can mix up to two stereo sources, or one stereo source and two mono sources. It sports various VCAs.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/make-noise-x-pan

WMD’s AXYS can be used, amongst other things, as a voltage controlled dry/wet:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-axys

Knob Farm’s Ferry is a great stereo send/return module, although it won’t submix multiple stereo signals
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/knob-farm-ferry

You could stick a stereo summer at the end to combine the channels and effects returns. Something like this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/clank-sum

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Sun May 03, 2020 5:34 pm

Very head spinny! Will play around with it. The easiest way to think about it is to imagine a 3 channel stereo mixer with 1 stereo aux send/ return (with each channel’s send levels pre-fader) and voltage control over all levels.

For now I may just do it in software, or wait for the Doepfer to show up, and then kludge a send for 3 stereo channels with my Linix and a bunch of mults.

Plurmk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Plurmk » Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 am

NaiveMelody wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:40 pm
Hi,

New to the thread. Really happy it exists and have really been enjoying doudoroff.com - what a brilliant resource.

I’m wondering if there are recommendations for any mixers that are suitable to take inputs from external instruments e.g. other synths?

I currently have a XAOC Sevastopol Input / Output, but would ideally like a mixer that has a stereo in and a stereo out I could use at line level.

Does such a thing exist? I was initially excited by the Roland 531 but the input just takes the signal to the main mix as far as I can see.

The XAOC Praga looks brilliant, but don’t think I could use in the way described?
Actually the Roland 531 routes external signals not into the main mix but into channel 6 for mono inputs or channels 5-6 for stereo inputs. I think it does exactly what you're looking for.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 am

Plurmk wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 am

Actually the Roland 531 routes external signals not into the main mix but into channel 6 for mono inputs or channels 5-6 for stereo inputs. I think it does exactly what you're looking for.
When it's mixed ti channels 5 and 6, I wouldn't be able to take that signal direct out and run through the modular though would I? Otherwise would be perfect!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed May 13, 2020 10:45 am

The WMD PM has no problem with line lenel on the channels that have gain knob. If you need stero you need the channels expander. I often plug the output of my Lyra 8 directly into it or in other modules and boost afterwards on the PM. The send return also works great with pedals without the need for any in/out module. Super handy.
instagram
soundcloud
dc11 - electron out on Cosmic Wave Records.

Plurmk
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Plurmk » Wed May 13, 2020 12:51 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:18 am
Plurmk wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 am

When it's mixed ti channels 5 and 6, I wouldn't be able to take that signal direct out and run through the modular though would I? Otherwise would be perfect!
No, you wouldn't. The channels are each mixed into the resulting stereo out of the mixer. The external signals don't have outs separate from the final mix.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 pm

JES wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:34 pm
Very head spinny! Will play around with it. The easiest way to think about it is to imagine a 3 channel stereo mixer with 1 stereo aux send/ return (with each channel’s send levels pre-fader) and voltage control over all levels.

For now I may just do it in software, or wait for the Doepfer to show up, and then kludge a send for 3 stereo channels with my Linix and a bunch of mults.
Update. Decided to split things up and spread smaller modules around rather than a unified solution. VCA matrix gives me 2 pre-fader sends and VCAs, and then Ladik 17x for mixdown before the computer. Plus mults and attenuators everywhere. When the Doepfers come out I might replace the Ladik for voltage control.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”