stereo mixer module comparison

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:19 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Thanks for the tip, MvK; I’ll yank it. I’m also going to yank Escalation Dominance, because there’s really no point for it to be there.
...for now I hope :waah: :waah:
THUMPR BC SC

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:41 am

Added the new L-1 Discrete VC Stereo Mixer, which may be of great interest to some folks. Note that a mute expander and an insert expander are also available for it.

4ms seems to have also come up with an inexpensive 1/4" output expander (passive) for its Listen and WAV Recorder modules.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:42 am

yea L-1 may have hit the right spot for all the exculsively stereo 7u systems you see, good find!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 am

Just added the Paratek РИТМИКС and the Catoff Mix. The latter seems particularly interesting given the clever channel strip expansion system and the fact it squeezes in two sends per channel. It seems like their approach might allow them to offer a stereo channel strip or even a some more fully-featured channels in the future (with VCAs and/or EQ). Pricing is notably aggressive.

nomass
Common Wiggler

Post by nomass » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 am

The Xaoc Praga w/ Hrad has a headphone out.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am

nomass wrote:The Xaoc Praga w/ Hrad has a headphone out.
Yes. When this comparison began, there were very few options in the first place, and the design of the comparison presumed comparing individual modules. That assumption was quickly challenged by the Frap CGM, and the expander-oriented trend has remained strong in this category. I need to revise the design of the comparison, somehow, to better represent expanders. Pondering.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:26 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Just added the Paratek РИТМИКС and the Catoff Mix. The latter seems particularly interesting given the clever channel strip expansion system and the fact it squeezes in two sends per channel. It seems like their approach might allow them to offer a stereo channel strip or even a some more fully-featured channels in the future (with VCAs and/or EQ). Pricing is notably aggressive.
Yes, but always the questions with these mixer designs.. does it bleed?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am

Alas, I’m in no position to know. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Sometimes.

bc3
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bc3 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:57 am

Indeed, I have inquired if they have thought about doing a stereo expander module in the future.

Dedal
Common Wiggler

Post by Dedal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:40 pm

Wow, thanks for adding mine :)
PARATEK - aesthetics of the Soviet cyberpunk!
Grid: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/vendors/view/749
insta: http://www.instagram.com/paratekorg/

suckerformimi
Common Wiggler

Re: stereo mixer module comparison

Post by suckerformimi » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:28 am

Is it possible to chain nearness mixers without wasting inputs?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:08 pm

suckerformimi wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:28 am
Is it possible to chain nearness mixers without wasting inputs?
Not generally, but various manufacturers support summing with ribbon cables behind their offerings. This is feature is usually listed in the “Additional Notes” column of the comparison. In particular see:

* 4ms
* Catoff
* FrapTools
* Happy Nerding
* Intellijel
* Tesseract
* Xaoc

Unfortunately, I do not thing there is any standard, and to my knowledge, there’s no way to mix and match chained mixers from different manufacturers.

suckerformimi
Common Wiggler

Post by suckerformimi » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:56 am

Yeah, that's why I'm asking. So is it possible to chain two Takaab Nearness mixers together? Maybe with a small mod. That would be a lot of cheap versatility for me.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:11 am

suckerformimi wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:56 am
Yeah, that's why I'm asking. So is it possible to chain two Takaab Nearness mixers together? Maybe with a small mod. That would be a lot of cheap versatility for me.
I would take that question to the DIY forum.

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Happy Nerding Dual xFade can be used as a stereo mixer.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:45 am

mrhooks wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:28 pm
Happy Nerding Dual xFade can be used as a stereo mixer.
How?

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Well, in reality it's stereo crossfading. You don't get separate attenuators for each stereo input, so it's a little crude, but the end result is similar, with the mix of two lefts coming out of one crossfader, and two rights coming out of the other.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:05 pm

Recent additions to the comparison:

2020-02-17 added SynEssentials SE2026
2020-02-16 added Modulaire Maritime Victor Alpha
2019-11-20 added Arcaico Caronte MS-4

Will add the new Roland-inspired mixer from Behringer as soon as more info is available.

tdallas
Common Wiggler

Post by tdallas » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:15 am

mdoudoroff wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:08 pm
Unfortunately, I do not thing there is any standard, and to my knowledge, there’s no way to mix and match chained mixers from different manufacturers.
I'm very new to this topic and only want to add, that at least a connection between XAOC Praga and Happy Nerding 2xSAM seems possible (see 2xSAM as expander for Xaoc Praga).

igorrr also stated, that there should not be any restrictions for Happy Nerding modules to be chained with other brands as long as you build a custom cable (see 2xSAM).

I have not tried this yet, so this is just for information :party:

Fog Door
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fog Door » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:00 pm

@mdoudoroff

I just want to say, I find your comparison lists/threads, very, very helpful and you efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you :tu:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:26 pm

tdallas wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:15 am
I'm very new to this topic and only want to add, that at least a connection between XAOC Praga and Happy Nerding 2xSAM seems possible (see 2xSAM as expander for Xaoc Praga).

igorrr also stated, that there should not be any restrictions for Happy Nerding modules to be chained with other brands as long as you build a custom cable (see 2xSAM).
Cool! I’d like too see more of this kind of thing, particularly if the manufacturers would cooperate with each other.
Fog Door wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:00 pm
I just want to say, I find your comparison lists/threads, very, very helpful and you efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you :tu:
You’re welcome! It has been gratifying to see people using them.

Microphonie
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Microphonie » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 am

Hello everybody,
hope you're safe and well bear staying at home bleeping all day long for those who can not work :)

I just jump into that thread for a technical question about mixers. I can't compare to other mixers and would like it if one of you could explain to me.
Looking at a scope and tweaking things these days looking at a single triangle oscillation thru one voice of Xaoc Devices Praga I observed a kind of phase offsetting between the two outputs when the oscillator is not tuned to a musical note. Tuning the oscillator makes phase rotate on output Left compared to Right output of the Praga mixer with pan centered.
Is it the same on other mixers ? Does panning always affect phase rotating because it's a bipolar knob ? Even in this case, why should tuning make phase rotate with still centered panpot ?
I may precise that I don't own a proper oscilloscope and use a software instead (Signalscope pro) thru a Tascam UH-7000 sound card at 192 kHz and I think it maybe due to any difference in AD 1/2 converters causing aliasing or something in the software interpretation of curves, but I don't know.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks if anyone can help me understand.

xaoc_tech
Wiggling with Experience

Post by xaoc_tech » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:51 am

There are no capacitors in signal path in Praga, it is DC coupled. Hence, there are no means that would introduce any delay to the audio signal, and there is no phase shift. There must be something else that you take for phase shift. One common mistake with an oscilloscope is to forget that changing signal amplitude has an impact on the position on the waveform where display is synced.

NaiveMelody
Common Wiggler

Post by NaiveMelody » Sat May 02, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi,

New to the thread. Really happy it exists and have really been enjoying doudoroff.com - what a brilliant resource.

I’m wondering if there are recommendations for any mixers that are suitable to take inputs from external instruments e.g. other synths?

I currently have a XAOC Sevastopol Input / Output, but would ideally like a mixer that has a stereo in and a stereo out I could use at line level.

Does such a thing exist? I was initially excited by the Roland 531 but the input just takes the signal to the main mix as far as I can see.

The XAOC Praga looks brilliant, but don’t think I could use in the way described?

WMDevices
Veteran Wiggler

Post by WMDevices » Sat May 02, 2020 12:45 pm

NaiveMelody wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:40 pm
Hi,

New to the thread. Really happy it exists and have really been enjoying doudoroff.com - what a brilliant resource.

I’m wondering if there are recommendations for any mixers that are suitable to take inputs from external instruments e.g. other synths?

I currently have a XAOC Sevastopol Input / Output, but would ideally like a mixer that has a stereo in and a stereo out I could use at line level.

Does such a thing exist? I was initially excited by the Roland 531 but the input just takes the signal to the main mix as far as I can see.

The XAOC Praga looks brilliant, but don’t think I could use in the way described?
WMD Performance Mixer has 12dB of gain per mono channel, stereo channels are unity. The Channels expander has 30dB of gain for low level sources, specifically designed for bringing line level signals in.
Last edited by WMDevices on Sat May 02, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the growing number of WMD Demo Videos | WMD Website

Return to “Eurorack Modules”