Tell me about Monome

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Tell me about Monome

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue May 12, 2015 12:30 am

Seen a few interesting videos about the various Monome interface modules (White Whale etc).

Can anyone explain what the different modules do? They all seem to be riffs on different ways of using a Monome Grid.

Any comments on how useful each one is?

oliverfenn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oliverfenn » Tue May 12, 2015 1:49 am

just got the white whale plus meadow modules, the white whale is a fantastic sequencer, its my goto seq now and i have got rene and metropolis thinking of getting another one its that good very easy to use

meadow physics is cascade counter with rule changing and at first looks easy to understand, but once you start linking chanels to each other it goes nuts, and i have no idea what the fuck is going on, but some of the rhythms i have going on this have blew my mind, it a very deep module, i have only had half a day with it up to now and will most likley need a good few months to work it out but its very very powerfull module

cant wait for all the other monme modules to come out i will buy them all at the drop of a hat

moog man
Common Wiggler

Post by moog man » Tue May 12, 2015 2:06 am

They are pretty amazing - a bit of an up front investment if you don't already have a grids, but I highly recommend a grids as it can be used well beyond modular duties. Hook it up to a computer and more magic happens, totally awesome!

I personally have a white whale & an aleph and the shit they do really blows my mind. White whale is a fantastic and a little more straightforward than the other modules. The Aleph can run a meadowphysics patch and I agree, some of the stuff that happens is insane and it only has 4 gates as apposed to the module. 8 must be lots of fun

In summary highly recommended, but they are costly. If you already have a grids its a no brainer though

gonkulator
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gonkulator » Tue May 12, 2015 2:12 am

I recently bought the 128, the White Whale, and the Earthsea. I knew little about them before I demoed them. There are many others here who know way more than I do, but until any of them chime in...

All three modules use the 128 as an interface, the function of which depends on which module is active. Otherwise, you use the modules to connect to the rest of your system.

I have been concentrating my time on the Earthsea, as it is more compelling due to its uniqueness. It is basically a tool for doing live looping improvisations. It has one track for notes and three for at large CV. The lowest three rows are used for these CV values. You can set a high and low value for the CV on these rows, and by using either two or three key combinations you invoke what might be called a macro that changes the CV value from one set of values to the other set of values. Playing notes will follow your timing, and you can record it that way, or you can do a hot key combo ("Shape Memory") to lock the notes into a quantized even tempo. You also use hot keys to change either just the key for arpeggiator like loops, or you can change the CVs and key. The demo on the Monome site shows all this, but it goes by really quickly, which is why I had to demo them before I would consider buying them. It won't currently follow an external clock, but you can sync a clock to it by its gate out ("edge.")

The White Whale is more of a conventional type of sequencer, but I haven't played with it enough to be of any use on specifics. It looks like a lot of fun though.
Racks
Solaris Site
Stuff for sale
Stuff for sale shown on Modulargrid
WTB: Black panels

Unflappably nonchalant, with some exceptions

GoneCaving
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GoneCaving » Tue May 12, 2015 2:25 am

White Whale, is a 2 CV, 4 gates step sequencer. Internal or external clock. 16 steps per pattern, 16 patterns per bank, 8 banks. Quantised CV out. Automatiion of stepping between patterns etc. It's superb.

And then, if that wasn't enough, there's a new firmware for the WW, Orca. Which is another step sequencer, based on 4 clock divisions, which are then blended (think 4bit number) to produce a 2 CV, 2 gate output. Again, the CV is quantised. This firmware not only works with the 128 gris, but also the Monome Arcs.

Meadowphysics, is a 8 gate trigger sequencer based on linked cascading counters, where the rules linking the counters are used defined. Again, external or internal clock. I've not played with this in the modular form, only with the Max app.

Earthsea, is a pattern recorder, 4 CV, 1 gate out. 1 CV is pitch, defined by the grid layout of semitones and fourths, the gate by key press (3 modes: drone, fixed gate, and hold), and the remaining 3 CVs are set by the param knobs, for each of 4 shapes, which you can then slew between. The module allows you to record sequences of notes (and param settings), which can then be played back, at the user played rate. The rate can be halved or doubled, the pattern transposed etc. While the module is very enjoyable to play with, it is not clocked externally which, for me at least, makes it harder to use. Monome have promised a solution to this which should be coming soon.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue May 12, 2015 2:40 am

Thanks guys, that gives me a reasonable overview.

I looked at some of the demos and couldn't really understand what was going on. Time to look at them again!

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Tue May 12, 2015 2:52 am

So basically you connect it straight to the module without a computer?

I was looking at the White Whale, looks interesting, but seems really limited compared to a Tenori-On because of the low number of usable rows for use as notes (although for drums it could be fine).

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Tue May 12, 2015 3:13 am

Well the 128 has 16 steps while the 64 has 8 steps, but you can save seq presets and chain them together so I wouldn't really call it limited. It's amazing for live jamming.

READYdot
controlled by voltage!

Post by READYdot » Tue May 12, 2015 3:18 am

IR wrote:So basically you connect it straight to the module without a computer?

I was looking at the White Whale, looks interesting, but seems really limited compared to a Tenori-On because of the low number of usable rows for use as notes (although for drums it could be fine).
Basically yes. But comparing White Whale to a Tenori-On is a bit unfair as they have totally different uses. I have all three modules. And they are brilliantly intuitive to use and very, very deep. Only downside until now is the lack of clock in on the Earthsea, but there seems to be something coming in Mid-june!

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 am

Hi!

Monomes are amazing devices!

I have had both the Earth Sea and Meadophisics, but have found that the best combo for me is using the monome alongside the Expert Sleepers Software (Es3+Es8cv).

Then you can use other monome apps with your modular (obo, press cafe, gome, boing)

You have you to use a computer though....

I strongly recommend this if you are using live and max4live:

https://github.com/el-quinto/maxforlive-suite

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Tue May 12, 2015 3:33 am

djthopa wrote: Then you can use other monome apps with your modular (obo, press cafe, gome, boing)
BTW, I wrote Boiingg!!

Tempted by a white whale on eBay, but ouch, that power requirement!

READYdot
controlled by voltage!

Post by READYdot » Tue May 12, 2015 3:37 am

pixelmechanic wrote:
djthopa wrote: Then you can use other monome apps with your modular (obo, press cafe, gome, boing)
BTW, I wrote Boiingg!!

I have a spare ext5v for sell if you shoot that White Whale! Boiingg is great BTW, so simple, so good!

GoneCaving
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GoneCaving » Tue May 12, 2015 3:58 am

I think if you can spare the rack space, Switch makes a lot of sense. It provides (a) all the power needed for the grid (you do still need some 5V for the modules, but not the huge amount required for the grid), (b) a nice way of switching the grid output between the modules, or between a module and a computer.

rutabaga40
Ultra Wiggler

Post by rutabaga40 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:40 am

djthopa

Ditto on the Max for live Suite...I can't believe I JUST found that a couple of weeks ago!!!!

Also will echo other comments: the Monome plus euro modules are fantastic and really extend the playability of the eurorack ecosystem.

Switch is handy, btw.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Tue May 12, 2015 7:06 am

pixelmechanic wrote:
BTW, I wrote Boiingg!!

Wicked!

337is
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 337is » Tue May 12, 2015 4:07 pm

GoneCaving wrote:White Whale, is a 2 CV, 4 gates step sequencer. Internal or external clock. 16 steps per pattern, 16 patterns per bank, 8 banks. Quantised CV out. Automatiion of stepping between patterns etc. It's superb.

And then, if that wasn't enough, there's a new firmware for the WW, Orca. Which is another step sequencer, based on 4 clock divisions, which are then blended (think 4bit number) to produce a 2 CV, 2 gate output. Again, the CV is quantised. This firmware not only works with the 128 gris, but also the Monome Arcs.

Meadowphysics, is a 8 gate trigger sequencer based on linked cascading counters, where the rules linking the counters are used defined. Again, external or internal clock. I've not played with this in the modular form, only with the Max app.

Earthsea, is a pattern recorder, 4 CV, 1 gate out. 1 CV is pitch, defined by the grid layout of semitones and fourths, the gate by key press (3 modes: drone, fixed gate, and hold), and the remaining 3 CVs are set by the param knobs, for each of 4 shapes, which you can then slew between. The module allows you to record sequences of notes (and param settings), which can then be played back, at the user played rate. The rate can be halved or doubled, the pattern transposed etc. While the module is very enjoyable to play with, it is not clocked externally which, for me at least, makes it harder to use. Monome have promised a solution to this which should be coming soon.
Thank you for this detailed, yet concise explanation. Very helpful!
SCloud
Vimeo
YTube
MGrid

I've had great B/S/T transactions with: ryandfl, Soy Sos, metaBit, haven, swordsect, goiks, FSK1138, numan7, dubno, VanEck, rico loverde, C14ru5, spunkytoofers, paults, vonbonenstein, soundwave106, d.thomas, dropmotif, Cadence, & TheNavigator

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue May 12, 2015 11:16 pm

337is wrote: Thank you for this detailed, yet concise explanation. Very helpful!
Echoed by me, the OP. I now have a better idea of what is going on. Do I want one? Time will tell ...

Acquadar
Common Wiggler

Post by Acquadar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:04 am

Hello,
All I want to do is sample cutting. I need MLR, I need a Macpro, I need a Monome Grids and wath else? Where I put the 1minute long stereo files that I want to cut? How I connect all these things together???

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:23 am

Acquadar wrote:How I connect all these things together???
A USB cable.

Acquadar
Common Wiggler

Post by Acquadar » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:45 am

USB cable. Yes. But what I mean , after that, is the process, the workflow, easy, even for a dummy head, or is a sort of programming nightmare?

liquidsn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by liquidsn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:05 am

would suggest going to the 'Lines' forum. It's more helpful for all things Monome.

llllllll.co (thats 8 'L's)

desolationjones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by desolationjones » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:38 am

Acquadar wrote:USB cable. Yes. But what I mean , after that, is the process, the workflow, easy, even for a dummy head, or is a sort of programming nightmare?
Oooh I thought you meant hardware needs.

You will want to download Max. It is free for use but saving is disabled after 30 days if you don't pay. However many Monome patches are ready-to-go so no saving needed.

https://monome.org/docs/app/ for all the official Max patches.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”