Mannequins: THREE SISTERS Linked Filters

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Ranstedt
Common Wiggler

Post by Ranstedt » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:52 am

My first modular recording. Sisters Self Patched. Sisters is the only sound source and it's going directly to a Tangle Quartet and into the DAW. A tiny amount of reverb and delay added in the DAW.

I realized tonight that I hadn't tried self patching any of my modules yet. So I started with the Sisters.

If you want to hear another, let me know and I'll record something different.

[video][/video]

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:54 am

Very nice demo ! a lot of people seems to use it as an oscillator and it sounds great, but I'm still not totally convinced by his filter color.

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:57 pm

From the manual : "the outputs are designed to be passively mult-ed together" to avoid saturation / distortion. Can anyone explain, not sure I get it right...thanks

Epignosis567
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Epignosis567 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:10 pm

So has compatibility with doepfer's psu3 been worked out?

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:39 pm

I'm torn apart between the three sisters and the mangrove.. I would use it mainly as an osc..
How does the quality and the span react to audiorate modulation?

(Edit: Also, it should be possible to use the three sisters as some kind of harmonic osc.. Or am I wrong?)
Last edited by evs on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:40 pm

Epignosis567 wrote:So has compatibility with doepfer's psu3 been worked out?
Not sure what issue you're referencing, but I've got a Three Sisters in my doepfer LC-9 with a psu3 and it's working perfectly fine.

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:43 pm

evs wrote:I'm torn apart between the three sisters and the mangrove.. I would use it mainly as an osc..
Audiorate mod sounds great...but only the Three Sisters' LPF is tuned to 1V/Oct. I've had zero luck trying to build tonal chord by modulating or even setting the Span. Super fiddly. Seems like a pretty expensive oscillator to me. But to each his own, of course.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:46 pm

noisejockey wrote:
evs wrote:I'm torn apart between the three sisters and the mangrove.. I would use it mainly as an osc..
Audiorate mod sounds great...but only the Three Sisters' LPF is tuned to 1V/Oct. I've had zero luck trying to build tonal chord by modulating or even setting the Span. Super fiddly. Seems like a pretty expensive oscillator to me. But to each his own, of course.
Ah, ok, thanks!. Guess that answers my edited question.. So harmonic osc would be very difficult..

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:25 pm

evs wrote:Ah, ok, thanks!. Guess that answers my edited question.. So harmonic osc would be very difficult..
You should look carefully at Just Friends if you’re interested in harmonic series.

Not a knock on Three Sisters: killer filter, and its self-resonating features can do some cool stuff:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/241952853" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:18 am

x2mirko wrote:
Not sure what issue you're referencing, but I've got a Three Sisters in my doepfer LC-9 with a psu3 and it's working perfectly fine.
I've recently added Three Sisters to a lc6 w/ the psu3. No issues here either.

atrostor
Veteran Wiggler

Post by atrostor » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:37 am

Whimsical mentioned earlier in this thread that all the new modules going forward will have the updated fuse (with the former fuse very rarely causing any trouble). So you could say it's been worked out.

Jondue
Common Wiggler

Post by Jondue » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:04 pm

3 Sisters-centric wiggle.

https://soundcloud.com/jondu/ste-039

Pretty much all audio is coming from 3 Sisters. Maths EOR, EOC and Sum as well as a pulse out from Batumi are used as inputs. Lot's a clicks and pops and weird drippy sounds, plus self-oscillation galore. Outs going to DLD and A4 for delay and 'verb, and one out going straight into my mixer. Batumi, Maths, and Octone providing CV and clock. Manual wiggling all around. Good fun :party:

Srsly though, it's all 3 Sisters. Much love for this filter!!

Apologies in advance for obnoxious squealy sounds :omg:

stripes
Common Wiggler

Post by stripes » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:44 pm

very cool range of sounds :-) yes the three sisters indeed has many secrets. i almost always put mine in the patch somewhere.

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:09 am

so it seems like its almost impossible to come around a used sisters, i´ve been checking for such a long time now...
should i wait a bit more or buy new, they just restocked...

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 am

pitri wrote:so it seems like its almost impossible to come around a used sisters, i´ve been checking for such a long time now...
should i wait a bit more or buy new, they just restocked...
Well, the consolation is that if you don’t end up loving it, you’ll have no trouble selling it and recouping almost your entire investment. :)

tarmoog
Common Wiggler

Post by tarmoog » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:44 am

I have really hard time understanding why would anyone making anything even remotely music related stuff with their modular system would even consider selling Three Sisters?

Even if you dont prefer sound of filters. You still got 3 sine oscillators with unique interval control.

pitri
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pitri » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 am

tarmoog wrote:I have really hard time understanding why would anyone making anything even remotely music related stuff with their modular system would even consider selling Three Sisters?

Even if you dont prefer sound of filters. You still got 3 sine oscillators with unique interval control.
yeah thats exactly my problem - no one is selling it.
So i guess i have to take the plunge :nana:

High Wolf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by High Wolf » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:47 am

Well, I bought one used a couple of months ago. I guess I've been lucky. But some people will eventually sell it, sometimes for financial reasons, even if they like it. I've seen a couple on sale but for sure no more than 4 or 5 in a year so...you better act quick I guess.

bemerritt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bemerritt » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:55 am

Somewhere I heard a really good demo of using the three sisters as a bass drum. Any ideas? I have tried to replicate it, but never really got it.

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spudboyblues » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:29 pm

bemerritt wrote:Somewhere I heard a really good demo of using the three sisters as a bass drum. Any ideas? I have tried to replicate it, but never really got it.
If you think about it as a low-pass filter and just use the LOW circuit, you can get a bass drum the same way you can with any other filter, but with some interesting pitch control via SPAN. Makes for a fun, bubbling/always changing kick.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 pm

I might buy three sister as my second filter.
I have a Xaoc Belgrad filter which I LOVE.

Anyone has these 2 filters and can comment?

thanks!

fourhexagons
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fourhexagons » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:19 am

Jaypee wrote:I might buy three sister as my second filter.

thanks!
These are currently my only filters and I love them both. My YouTube channel has some examples (link in sig).

I've also used Sisters as a bass drum (sort of) and the 4th part of this suite is a good example:

[video][/video]

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:26 am

fourhexagons wrote:
Jaypee wrote:I might buy three sister as my second filter.

thanks!
These are currently my only filters and I love them both. My YouTube channel has some examples (link in sig).

I've also used Sisters as a bass drum (sort of) and the 4th part of this suite is a good example:

[video][/video]

I finally bought a three sister (and a Mangrove). I'm very happy. Very different modules. Highly recommended! As usual "get both" is the right answer :bananaguitar:

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:44 am

Jaypee wrote:I finally bought a three sister (and a Mangrove). I'm very happy. Very different modules. Highly recommended! As usual "get both" is the right answer :bananaguitar:
I'm also a new Three Sisters owner! I have a modest 6U 84hp rack (which is still not completely full) and promised myself I would only keep one filter in my rack. I've had the Koma SVF-201 for a while now, but just couldn't pass up when my local shop (Foxtone) started carrying the Mannequins line. And I couldn't be happier that I broke my own one-filter rule for Three Sisters.

It's inspiringly awesome.

mclarensmps
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mclarensmps » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Three sisters is, by far, my favourite Euro filter. I'm planning on getting a second filter some time in the near future, and I'm tempted to just get another 3S, however, I really should spread my net, wider.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”