What's your least/most favourite module in your rig?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

What's your least/most favourite module in your rig?

Post by Donderdag » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:15 pm

Thought I'd use the term "favourite" rather than "used", since the later should be VCO. At least it is for me. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong! Anywho, lets get the ball rolling. Below are my picks from my Doepfer A-100 BS2. What are yours?

Current most favourite module in my rig:

Doepfer A-160/1 Clock Sequencer. Without fail the first hole that gets filled (no sniggering!) when I start a patch.

Current least favourite module in my rig:

Doepfer A-170 Slew limiter. Honestly, I never use it. I get the concept behind it but ffs, it's 8HP that could be better spent.
Venetian Snares wrote:I wanted it to sound like a giant hovering boulder on fire
---------------------------
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

AAG
Ultra Wiggler

Post by AAG » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm

This is fun... Love the A-160/1 combo too!

Least favourite without a doubt: A-130 and A-131. Can't really put my finger on it. 8 HP, lots of inputs and attenuation, but my A-132-1 an the new Ladik A-011 does exactly what I want the 8 HP VCAs to do, but immidiately and without fuss.

Favourite: A-101-2 LPG - the binary inputs for switching between VCA, VCF and LPG modes are fantastic.

BTW, those 8 HP of yours taken up by the A-170, put the A-171-2 there instead!
Blue Tower Music

If I had a Moog I'd trade it for a Roland.

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:01 pm

My favorite module in my rig ? My old faithful utterly simple 8hp sequencer !
Well, i mean my fantastic... A-115 !
You don't understand ? You laugh at me ?
Listen to this :

[video][/video]
Last edited by plogbidman on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:04 pm

AAG wrote:This is fun... Love the A-160/1 combo too!

Least favourite without a doubt: A-130 and A-131. Can't really put my finger on it. 8 HP, lots of inputs and attenuation, but my A-132-1 an the new Ladik A-011 does exactly what I want the 8 HP VCAs to do, but immidiately and without fuss.

Favourite: A-101-2 LPG - the binary inputs for switching between VCA, VCF and LPG modes are fantastic.

BTW, those 8 HP of yours taken up by the A-170, put the A-171-2 there instead!
I know what you mean re: the A-130/1, they take up far too much real estate for what they bring to the table(rack?). I've got an A-132-3 on my shopping list for when I fill the final 3rd of my P9 case, maybe I can offload the A-130/1 and replace them with two of the new A-160-2 clock dividers... :nana:
Venetian Snares wrote:I wanted it to sound like a giant hovering boulder on fire
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

AAG
Ultra Wiggler

Post by AAG » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm getting that clock divider too!
Blue Tower Music

If I had a Moog I'd trade it for a Roland.

reodjectz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by reodjectz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:24 pm

FUN!

I think my least favorite would be my DIY 4ms Atoner. Made it when I went kit-mad for a month or so. Falls out of calibration a lot, don't really know what to do with it.

Favorite: 4ms QCD + expander.

Quick Edit: the A-160-2 clock divider looks like fun: primes?!

nofuture
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nofuture » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:27 pm

My least was uJack (the volume was very very low) that I replace by an Audio Interface that is awesome.
My favorite at the moment is the Korgasmatron II I think, awesome for Kick, weird percussion and feedback FM.

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Oh, forgot to tell about my least favorite module...
Well well well... I would say my A-136 Distortion/Waveshaper. Wait, it is a good module. But it is so hard to tame. Yet, it can do a lot of weird sounds when it wants to...

Sittidae
Common Wiggler

Post by Sittidae » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:01 pm

My favourite is probably the Manhattan Analog MA35. I freaking love this filter. The way it self oscillates, the way the 1v/oct tracks, the big playable knob, the two inputs, etc. are all perfect for me.

Least.... probably the uFold. Seems to fold in a cold and characterless way. Often is a bit sudden or aggressive. I read somewhere that I may need to adjust it.

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 pm

My favorite right now is my Mungo d0. I do a lot of feedback patching and you can get some really wild sounds by plugging the two delay lines into a matrix mixer with some other signal processors. There's a really wide range on the delay times so you can zip up from trippy dub delays into karplus territory in one sweep.

My least favorite is my Pamela's workout. Having to menu dive in the middle of a complex rythmic patch drives me insane.

allert
Common Wiggler

Post by allert » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Least favorite:circuit abbey g8. Although I love it. greatest: the analogue systems rs95e oscillators.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:03 pm

Least favorite? Qmmg. Just not feeling it anymore. I want a good clean lpg sound. The qmmg requires a ton of attenuation everywhere, plus most of the time, I have to chain 2 channels to kill the bleeding.

Most favorite? Shapeshifter. Completely astounded by what it sounds like. I'm intending to swap my braids for a second shapeshifter even.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike Folding Case / Grayscale Panels
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

pwranml
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pwranml » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:03 am

Phonogene and Rene are tied for most inspiring modules to me.

The more time I spend with them they just get deeper and more exciting. I made a patch this week where they interact together in a weird way that I like a lot:

The one module I feel like I don't use enough is Frames. I love it and when it gets totally utilized it's amazing. It just takes some thinking ahead with patching to get the most out of it. I think as time goes on I'll dive into it a lot further.

flo
Space Jack

Post by flo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:34 am

This stuff changes every day I guess... But ATM I have a lot of fun with the FSH1. A ton of fun sounds to be had with it.

Least favorite, I don't really know... I never use my uStep so the vote goes to that.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:16 am

Most favourite: phonogene. It's actually the module that got me into modulars.

Least favourite: (behold: shitstorm up on the horizon) A-160. I only keep it in my rig because of the nice flashing LEDs :party:

...and btw: I don't have no VCOs :woah:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:38 am

pwranml wrote:The one module I feel like I don't use enough is Frames. I love it and when it gets totally utilized it's amazing. It just takes some thinking ahead with patching to get the most out of it. I think as time goes on I'll dive into it a lot further.
You should try out the pro-tip posted here a few days ago - when you got a patch going, connect four of the modulation sources to the inputs of the Frames, then connect the outputs to where they were before, and now do an extra animation on top, to get even more movement in. ;)

But I agree, I tend to under-utilize my Frames as well, even though it is great module. It just takes a bit of time to set up.

Things change quickly, I tend to have new favorite modules every day. Yesterday's and today's favorite module is the Hertz Donut MK2. It's just ace. And the SSM, and the A-152, haha.

Least favorite? I kind of regret getting a slew limiter and a switch interface from EMW. Very solid modules, but a bit boring. Haven't used them much yet.

ETP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ETP » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 am

hmmm difficult... pamelas and 152 is involved everytime. the a-130/131 is very fun for logic.

ooohhhhh the a-170 slew is never used here. someone wants it?

Wiggling with Experience

Post by 333 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:26 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:Most favourite: phonogene. It's actually the module that got me into modulars.

Least favourite: (behold: shitstorm up on the horizon) A-160. I only keep it in my rig because of the nice flashing LEDs :party:

Much in common. I got into modular because of phonogene. And yes I don't use any VCOs as well :guinness:

No least favourite. I keep my set up trimmed. if i have any module that don't integrate well with the other modules, I sell it.

Donderdag
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Donderdag » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:49 am

333 wrote:
R.U.Nuts wrote:Most favourite: phonogene. It's actually the module that got me into modulars.

Much in common. I got into modular because of phonogene. And yes I don't use any VCOs as well :guinness:

No least favourite. I keep my set up trimmed. if i have any module that don't integrate well with the other modules, I sell it.
The Phonogene sounds awesome :love: I need to find a Make Noise distributor nearby. No VCOs? :hmm: What do you use for sound generation? Are you processing a lot of external audio?
Seize the Carp
Stuff for sale
My Soundcloud

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:58 am

Donderdag wrote:
The Phonogene sounds awesome :love: I need to find a Make Noise distributor nearby. No VCOs? :hmm: What do you use for sound generation? Are you processing a lot of external audio?
Schneidersladen in berlin sells makenoise modules. And yes I use my modular exclusively to process external audio. Mainly guitar and my beloved casio sk1.

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:33 am

Great modules: Phonogene and Dr. Octature (absolutely fantastic this one, so many possibilities !)

Modules scarcely used: Geiger Counter, Circuit Abbey Tripfire.

DanPacific
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DanPacific » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 am

Least favorite: Happy Nerding Super Sawtor. Don't get me wrong – it's a great module and is fantastic at what it does, but it's a sound I rarely use. Actually, since getting into modular I feel I've been lucky in that there hasn't been any purchases I've come to regret and I have yet to sell something off. But if there was to be a culling, then I guess the Sawtor would go.

Favorite: an obvious and maybe boring answer would be Maths as it's the center of about every patch for me. If I would pick something else it would be my Steady State Fate PTG or my STG Wavefolder (lovely combo btw). I also love my switches (A-151 & A-152) for the way they completely opened up my system.

adolfgottmann
Wiggling with Experience

Post by adolfgottmann » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 am

Black sheep: MMG
I don't reallty find any use for a filter in my style and I prefer my optomix for lpg duties

Favorite: phonogene, I think. At least I'm using it a lot lately. Actually I'm thinking having two of them would be sweet

Liquidyzer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Liquidyzer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:03 am

Maths, i rarely use the logic features but who'd get rid of a maths?

pwranml
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pwranml » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:12 am

Daisuk wrote: You should try out the pro-tip posted here a few days ago - when you got a patch going, connect four of the modulation sources to the inputs of the Frames, then connect the outputs to where they were before, and now do an extra animation on top, to get even more movement in. ;)

But I agree, I tend to under-utilize my Frames as well, even though it is great module. It just takes a bit of time to set up.
Thats a good idea! I think my problem is thinking that I always HAVE to think way ahead.

It's one of those modules that requires you to think more abstractly and really stretches your head. Frames and Rene make me feel like I'm using a different area of my brain than when I think about more traditional patching.

I use it mostly as a "sequenced" audio mixer, and kinda bought it with that in mind as its main use. eg:

This is really tricky though if you don't have a lot of voices. The more sound sources I get the more useful it's become, just patching whatever voices I have left over into it and doing rhythmic stuff over top of it. (usually osc's freaking out and noise sources through optomix )

I really need to start putting cv through it more like you said. The possibilities with that seem endless.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”