Sample Mangling

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Sample Mangling

Post by Ginko » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:53 pm

Trying to write this post on a train and signal is well dippy like.

So here is the short version - want to be able to get field recordings into the modular and do some mangling with cv, I want to do this live and in the studio. I know a little about Qu-bit nebulae and Phonogene, is there anything else out there (or in development) worth considering? What do wigglers have to say about these modules?

tuj
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tuj » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:15 pm

the qu-bit is great fun, especially if you use the midi mode that can control which sample you trigger.

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:41 pm

Soundmachines do one, but it's kind of the other end of the price range to say, well the two you mentioned. I think it's more aimed at making kinda short loops though. Seen people say it has a kinda telephone quality to it, but personally I think that would make human voices sound cool. I want someone to make a module that will make it sound like im talking to them from the apollo moon landing lol I kinda like that sound.
Shiney metal module shirt

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh and there's this....

http://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/sampleslicer/

but that doesn't tell us a dam thing about it really does it lol.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:26 pm

alamandra wrote:Oh and there's this....

http://www.ginkosynthese.com/product/sampleslicer/

but that doesn't tell us a dam thing about it really does it lol.
It's certainly kept very quiet.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

nedavine
Ultra Wiggler

Post by nedavine » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:52 pm

Sorry I am also thinking about the qu-bit. I have an OT so not sure how far down the line it will be but just dropping a post to get updates on this thread.

:bananaguitar:

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Gieskes voice rec-1b or -2c :razz:
WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

analogue01
Ultra Wiggler

Post by analogue01 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:09 pm

ALSO:

Tyme Sefari mk1 or 11
ADDAC101 .WAV player or 111 ultra .WAV player
Mungo G0
Doepfer A-112 sampler

what else?

Maybe Ardcore could do something...
WEBSITE
Rob Ae wrote:plugging CV gate cables in my mouth, to taste the voltages, turned out to enhance my skills.

cephalopod
Common Wiggler

Post by cephalopod » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:49 pm

I'd definitely recomend the mungo g0.
Expensive, but unlike anything else I've heard.
I have both a g0 and a phonogene.

The phono is awesome for rythmic patches. The window size is quantized, so you can get equal divisions of a sample, then switch between them with the slide control. Great for stuttering glitchy beats.

The window size on the g0 is non-quantized, and can be set to a wide range of values (as can all the controls using the zoom switch). It also sounds crystal clear compared to the phono, and you can load sounds into it with an SD card.

taylor12k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by taylor12k » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 pm

for straight up field recording playback i'd go with the addac or the nebulae.

i use two addacs live.. one holds field recordings and another melodic stuff.

good for straight playback, with decent audio quality, as well as the ability to mess around with start and end times live...

GNE
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GNE » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:04 pm

In addition to everything else already mentioned, the Modcan CV recorder can mangle CV or audio.

hangars liquides
Common Wiggler
Location: Berlin, Zurich, South Europe mountain ranges, Gulf of Guinea

Post by hangars liquides » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:45 am

So far, I've stayed within Max for Live for mangling audio with a bunch of plugins, but using Expert Sleepers ES7 and the AS rs 300 cv to midi converter to control start/end, grain size, etc from the modular.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:56 am

Cool, thanks for the replies so far - I certainly like the functions of the Phonogene, I guess the downside there is that I think I would have to record samples in every time. As Taylor said, being able to load samples on a card or stick with the option for straight playback is preferable. I did look at the Addac Wav. modules, I wasn't sure if they offered much in the way of mangling clips. Need some audio examples I think.

Yeah the Ginko synthese module could be interesting - I think I would like the option to have slightly longer samples, but will most likely be working with clips under 10 seconds anyway - I think the Gieskes and Soundmachines modules may be too lo-fi

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 am

A module that maps sample position by tracking voltage would be awesome, so a ramping voltage would play samples forwards and a slope would play things backwards. I used to love doing stuff like that with basic waveforms in Max/MSP - though it is probably extremely hard to achieve lol (though I think Phonogene does something like this)

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:02 am

Ooh like the Mungo g0 does, that does look like a cool module! Will I be able to get one of those in EU though?

I think it is boiling down to the Qu-Bit Nebulae and the Mungo g0 for me now (not that I am buying anytime soon, I have a steady collection of DIY to get through!!)

Thulo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thulo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:56 am

Ginko wrote:A module that maps sample position by tracking voltage would be awesome, so a ramping voltage would play samples forwards and a slope would play things backwards. I used to love doing stuff like that with basic waveforms in Max/MSP - though it is probably extremely hard to achieve lol (though I think Phonogene does something like this)
The mungo g0 does this and its awesome. If you get this you must get the zoom module also. Its useless without it.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:58 am

I just got a reply from Mungo on the price... that has put me off a bit :deadbanana:

Thulo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Thulo » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:18 am

Hmm i see i found a used one really cheap

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:22 am

Ginko wrote:I just got a reply from Mungo on the price... that has put me off a bit :deadbanana:
what was the price if I can ask?

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:36 am

$800 AUS including the zoom and tracked postage - so probably just over £500 after import duty for us in the UK

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:45 am

Ginko wrote:$800 AUS including the zoom and tracked postage - so probably just over £500 after import duty for us in the UK
Ouch, I mean obviously the import duties make it worse, but still ouch. Not to say it doesn't seem an epic module though don't get me wrong. The addac seems a bit more within reach. There's a lot of mangling I can do in software, but the cv control and such isn't there. The modular and software wouldn't swap bodily fluids if you'll excuse the rather vulgar turn of phrase lol.

Ginko
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ginko » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:51 am

Well I don't really use software at all so I am looking for contained options - I think if I did use a laptop, all sound would still be produced from the modular system, I would probably just look to the laptop for expanded sequencing and possibly post-processing

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:55 am

Ginko wrote:I have a steady collection of DIY to get through!!)

in that case (with apologies for the self-promotion), a fairly cheapo DIY solution is this (my) breakout board for raspberry pi (here it is, from below, attached to a model A):

stereo DAC (PCM5102a), 6 cv inputs (12 bit), 3 digital inputs/interrupts. it's meant to be used with puredata, so you'd have to come up with suitable patches yourself though.

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:02 am

Ginko wrote:Well I don't really use software at all so I am looking for contained options - I think if I did use a laptop, all sound would still be produced from the modular system, I would probably just look to the laptop for expanded sequencing and possibly post-processing
yeh I'd want to get to this stage in the future. Though with a taste of samples in there too, some generated from the modular even.

alamandra
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by alamandra » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:05 am

mxmxmx wrote:
Ginko wrote:I have a steady collection of DIY to get through!!)

in that case (with apologies for the self-promotion), a fairly cheapo DIY solution is this (my) breakout board for raspberry pi (here it is, from below, attached to a model A):

stereo DAC (PCM5102a), 6 cv inputs (12 bit), 3 digital inputs/interrupts. it's meant to be used with puredata, so you'd have to come up with suitable patches yourself though.
I hadn't ever heard of this before, the raspberry pi, I will look into it though.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”