Clicks when triggering samples ... it's kinda driving me mad

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

digidandy
Veteran Wiggler

Clicks when triggering samples ... it's kinda driving me mad

Post by digidandy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:53 pm

How do people get rid of the very short "clicks" that seem to occur with depressing regularity when triggering samples from say a mungo g0 or a Nebulae?

No matter if I send the triggers from Pamelas Workout, the gates from a Doepfer A-142, or the EOR from a Maths, there WILL be clicks when I trigger samples.

Or is this simply not possible to get rid of?
My latest release, including vinyl!

tikami
Common Wiggler

Post by tikami » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Are you sure the clicks are being produced by the g0? This sounds like the "zero crossings" issue you get when you open a VCA really quickly.

WMD have a digital attenuator module with the option of checking for zero crossings, which when enabled will remove clicks.
I hate being bipolar. It's Awesome!

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 pm

You could also apply an very envelope with a very short attack. Trigger the sample and the env at the same time. The click is a DAC voltage spike that occurs when the VCA goes from 0 to X volts instantaneously.

Another workaround is to gently shape (short fade-in/fade-out) the front and back of your samples before you load them onto the SD cards for each module. Then your modular envelopes could be saved for more important/interesting things.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Your sample may not be starting at a zero-crossing.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm

authorless wrote:Your sample may not be starting at a zero-crossing.
this, exactly.

most times, they aren't, especially if they're lo-res. Adding a short fade-in at the beginning and a short fade-out at the end of each sample should help. That way you're forcing the DAC to start at 0, ramp up and down, and then return to zero for the next sample to start.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:50 am

Or you can go into audacity (or any daw, I presume) and just erase the non-zero section at the start of the sample so that the sample starts precisely on the line.
"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."
"A tape is interesting when it's an interesting tape."
"It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New EP: étude @ strettara.bandcamp

Return to “Eurorack Modules”