Schippmann PHS-28

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

A Dingleberry Monstrosity
eat the kids first

Schippmann PHS-28

Post by A Dingleberry Monstrosity » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Mort Rouge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Mort Rouge » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm

Yes I saw it. My wallet ran away in fear. :deadbanana: :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :deadbanana:
Calling a circuit that outputs the maximum of several sources "analog OR" makes as much sense as calling a ring modulator "analog XOR" ...

My little soundcloud

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:17 pm

First time seeing a panel but I knew a phaser was being worked on. It's not insanely priced considering it seems dual and his work is innovative. The site says 92 out of 120 units are reserved. Wonder how that happened?

Adamalthus
Wiggling with Entangled States

Post by Adamalthus » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:30 pm

ndkent wrote:First time seeing a panel but I knew a phaser was being worked on. It's not insanely priced considering it seems dual and his work is innovative. The site says 92 out of 120 units are reserved. Wonder how that happened?
They've been taking reservations off their site for some time. I got on the list a couple of months ago. I just got email from them today saying it was time to confirm my order. Shipment will be in 4-6 weeks. :yay:

TheEngineer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TheEngineer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:57 pm

oooh nice+

dj_bluefalcon
Common Wiggler

Post by dj_bluefalcon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Just saw these were listed on Analogue Haven and Perfect Circuit Audio.

$999.

Anyone playing with one yet?

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 pm

Schippmann build quality is amazing.
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.
Polyphony is overrated.
------------------------------------------
Tribal/Electronic/Industrial
www.ivardensphere.com

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:47 pm

you guys are insane ... im sure it sounds great but a phaser for 1k? somebody needed to break that 1k barrier so modules can become finally REALLY expensive. wait for other manufacturers to close the gap now ... ;-)

moonkid
Common Wiggler

Post by moonkid » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:48 pm

ordered :party:

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:49 pm

lilakmonoke wrote:you guys are insane ... im sure it sounds great but a phaser for 1k? somebody needed to break that 1k barrier so modules can become finally REALLY expensive. wait for other manufacturers to close the gap now ... ;-)
I'm pretty sure both Cwejman and Macbeth have both done it.
Polyphony is overrated.
www.ivardensphere.com

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:55 pm

iVardensphere wrote:
lilakmonoke wrote:you guys are insane ... im sure it sounds great but a phaser for 1k? somebody needed to break that 1k barrier so modules can become finally REALLY expensive. wait for other manufacturers to close the gap now ... ;-)
I'm pretty sure both Cwejman and Macbeth have both done it.
for a single module? which one?

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:58 pm

Macbeth X series dual osc $1400
Macbeth X series Backend filter $1400
Polyphony is overrated.
www.ivardensphere.com

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:02 pm

The cwejman MMF-2 is listed at 999 euro on Schnieders
Polyphony is overrated.
www.ivardensphere.com

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:17 pm

Going to Buchla it's $1600 for a dual osc. Great frigging oscillators, though.
Polyphony is overrated.
www.ivardensphere.com

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:46 pm

ok so i guess the phaser is reasonably priced then. i bought the schippmann filter for 650 and thought that was kind of crazy.

rhizomatik
Common Wiggler

Post by rhizomatik » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:54 am

I was also surprised at the high price for this.
I know, really stupid to get upset at modular prices, or even compare.
But still it feels strange to compare it to a dual vco or half a synth-voice from Macbeth.
The Cwejman phaser (kind of dual?) is $799. Also thought that was very expensive - but it is Cwejman after all. And Schippmann is not.
The Pittsburgh phaser (8 stage dual) is listed at $349 and I have a feeling it sounds more musical. You want some dirt in that phasing.
Not eurorack, but the Vermona 1u rack dual phaser (ph16) sounds incredibly good and precise, has lots of cv in and modulation at $369.
At around $1000 I would rather go for a Mutron Biphase.
Maybe I actually will, as thinking of it now that suddenly seems kind of cheap for a legend. :lol:

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:22 am

I am not a phaser expert, but a quick look at the schippmann's specs and it looks like quite more complicated one to the cwejman, or at least it has a lot more controls.

Considering that my experience with the cs8 is great (i truly find it to be an amazing filter, besides being exhaustively well speced...) i don't see why a cwejman or a macbeth can ask for that money and Schippmann not.
I don't find Schippmann lacking in anything compared to these two

Now probably i won't buy one of these phasers, since besides the very well known effect i don't know what i would do with it...
And of course i would prefer if all of these companies made more affordable modules since i am starting to feel like a hi-fi aficionado stuck in a very expensive taste :)

I would love to see though a delay module from schippmann.....

rhizomatik
Common Wiggler

Post by rhizomatik » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:26 am

I agree the phaser seems full speced. Would love to try one for sure.
Have bought both a micromac and a res4 at stupid prices with no regrets.
Still feel there is something off with the pricing for this one though.
Might be because I wasnt a big fan of the filter. :hmm:

Sometimes it's just good to have some kind of perspective.
It's like my wine interest, which got slightly out of hand – eventually I realized that it was not normal to think that a $50 bottle was cheap.

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:49 am

I recently got the filter and was so impressed I started looking at the phaser as well.

I ordered it and it turned up the other day.

If you're just looking for the typical wwooosshhhsssoooww type sound the Depfer does that just fine.

The Schippmann phase shifter is a different beast.
It's a 16 stage phase shifter with feedback, resonance and emphasis.
There are also a bunch of modulation options.
It can do an amazingly refined sound nothing even remotely like what you'd expect from a phase shifter.

You can configure it as a 16 stage or two 8 stage phase shifters. There's also another mode which I don't fully understand yet. It is sort of a combination - it acts as a 2 x 8 but I think there's cross feedback or something like that.

The build quality is excellent. Up there with the Micromac.

The sound it makes is rather hard to describe but it's really really good.

You can think of it as a bunch of filters that emphasise and de-emphasise different frequencies. If you don't sweep the cut-off you can use it as a kind of tonal shaper. If you do sweep it, on a simple enough sound you can sometimes hear the effect of the different bands moving.

I fed a drum machine into it and everything that came out sounded better.
I had one channel modulated and the other modulated with an inverted signal. This sounded very good indeed. You can dial back the effect to just add some subtle movement to the sound.
It'll also accept audio rate modulation for a completely different sound.

I also played around with an unmodulated effect with various random settings. The enhancement effect works very well on drums giving you all sorts of different sounds. It sort of fixes on a sound and transforms it into something else. You get some nice woody organic sounds in the mid range, thumping bass at the low end and smooth treble at the top.

You can also detune the two channels to emphasise different frequencies at the same time. I had deep bass and hi-hats enhanced. I can see all my drums being processed with it in the future.

Like the Schippmann filter, it gives you all sorts of sounds but it always seems to sound good. Never harsh or unpleasant.

I have avoided spending a lot of money on individual modules so this is the one and only high end module I've bought (I do have a Micromac but I don't count that as a module).

I paid a lot of :75: but the build quality and the sound is a step up from other modules. I for one am very happy with it.

3M-10
Common Wiggler

Post by 3M-10 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: pricing. Using other expensive modules to justify the price of the Shippmann phaser is kind of like a Rolls Royce enthusiast chastising a Ford enthusiast for criticizing the cost of this car.

The Rolls supporters will mention that this car actually represents awesome value compared to the Bugatti Veyron - how dare the Ford supporters criticize them!!!

Then the Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Bentley people will jump in and mention how hard it is to compete in this market and that they're just scraping by, given they're labour & parts costs, etc. Perhaps this is true for some auto manufacturers, but it is probably true for most, if not all high end module manufacturers.

3M-10

P.S. I think Shippmann makes great products, ;-)

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:19 pm

:tu:

Great review. Thanks!!
Mefistophelees wrote:I recently got the filter and was so impressed I started looking at the phaser as well.

I ordered it and it turned up the other day.

If you're just looking for the typical wwooosshhhsssoooww type sound the Depfer does that just fine.

The Schippmann phase shifter is a different beast.
It's a 16 stage phase shifter with feedback, resonance and emphasis.
There are also a bunch of modulation options.
It can do an amazingly refined sound nothing even remotely like what you'd expect from a phase shifter.

You can configure it as a 16 stage or two 8 stage phase shifters. There's also another mode which I don't fully understand yet. It is sort of a combination - it acts as a 2 x 8 but I think there's cross feedback or something like that.

The build quality is excellent. Up there with the Micromac.

The sound it makes is rather hard to describe but it's really really good.

You can think of it as a bunch of filters that emphasise and de-emphasise different frequencies. If you don't sweep the cut-off you can use it as a kind of tonal shaper. If you do sweep it, on a simple enough sound you can sometimes hear the effect of the different bands moving.

I fed a drum machine into it and everything that came out sounded better.
I had one channel modulated and the other modulated with an inverted signal. This sounded very good indeed. You can dial back the effect to just add some subtle movement to the sound.
It'll also accept audio rate modulation for a completely different sound.

I also played around with an unmodulated effect with various random settings. The enhancement effect works very well on drums giving you all sorts of different sounds. It sort of fixes on a sound and transforms it into something else. You get some nice woody organic sounds in the mid range, thumping bass at the low end and smooth treble at the top.

You can also detune the two channels to emphasise different frequencies at the same time. I had deep bass and hi-hats enhanced. I can see all my drums being processed with it in the future.

Like the Schippmann filter, it gives you all sorts of sounds but it always seems to sound good. Never harsh or unpleasant.

I have avoided spending a lot of money on individual modules so this is the one and only high end module I've bought (I do have a Micromac but I don't count that as a module).

I paid a lot of :75: but the build quality and the sound is a step up from other modules. I for one am very happy with it.
Polyphony is overrated.
www.ivardensphere.com

peripatitis

Post by peripatitis » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Thanks for the review Mefistophelees :tu:
It would be great if at some point you or someone else could provide us with a demo.....

btw does noticed this ?
What's next? A series in a series is planned (CS-8 ol). 'ol' stands for 'open-loop', an electronic technique without stabilizing closed-loop circuits, necessary whenever high gain amplifiers are in use. Audio electronic based on open-loop design technique is characterised by a very warm, rich and round sound, very unsusceptible against overdrives and hard audio material. More detailed infos....will coming soon.

ianross
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ianross » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:25 pm

I thought he was closing down shop so to speak, and now this module is being released? Did something change?

dan_k
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dan_k » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:41 pm

ianross wrote:I thought he was closing down shop so to speak, and now this module is being released? Did something change?
Yeah he announced he was back a while ago. I guess fortunes changed.

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:34 pm

Been playing around with it a bit more...

I thought it'd smooth out a distorted signal but it can do the opposite if you want. You can sort of tune into the nasty parts and enhance them.

To get the best effect it loves a signal full of harmonics. Hertz Donut MkII is particularly good at this. Set the feedback to low stages and sweep it for a more traditional type phaser sound.

You can also get filter sweeps out of it. Quite unusual though, a bit like a band pass sweep maybe. Shades of JMJ's Rendez-vous maybe.

You can even get acid out it. Not full on 303 but nice squelchy sounds.
Turn up the feedback switch and you can get very wet sounds.
Anything can do a liquid sound but the undisputed king is the Micromoog, with the right settings it can sound like you're playing water! I've never heard anything else even get close. The Schippmann can.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”