What about the new MakeNoise Mysteron ?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

phutureboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by phutureboy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:31 pm

should be available end of the week...
FS: EMS Analyse Filterbank B1-II | EMS AKS | RSF Expander I & II | PEARL Syncussion SY-1 | KORG MS-20 | KORG SQ-10

gliiitches
Common Wiggler

Post by gliiitches » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:43 pm

I like how it sounds a lot. To me it seems like the Braids 'pluck' algorithm but with a lot more control.

I think it's too early to tell if it's a one trick pony or a too easily identified sound. To my ears that most recent demo goes through a range of sounds; there's plenty of CV control available; and as yet we've not really heard it in conjunction with other modules - I can just imagine how it might sound gong through the Echophon, Erbe Verbe, or Phonogene.

To me it's just another building block, and it's good to hear something beyond sine, saw, and square. :hihi:

wander
Common Wiggler

Post by wander » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:48 pm

Looks really interesting! I'll be looking for some demo videos from you all to see what it can really do, because I won't be able to get it for a while... Damn :75:
My SoundCloud - Chill, ambient soundscapes

He_lium
Common Wiggler

Post by He_lium » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:54 pm

I always have the impression of hearing more or less the same sonorities.
I fear that even if this module looks interesting, I might running in circle rather quickly.
I think I'll pass unless other sound bites prove the contrary. Though I like MN, I think this time I'll keep my money ... or buy a Braids

fisherking111
Veteran Wiggler

Post by fisherking111 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:59 pm

looks like another Make Noise homerun!

The fact that this can double as a quasi-wavetable oscillator (as demonstrated at the end of that MN demo video), puts this thing WAY over the top for it's value!
[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=3759068727 size=large bgcol=333333 linkcol=fe7eaf tracklist=false]

skyshaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skyshaver » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:05 pm

I was also hearing the homogeneity of the sonority ( :lol: ) until the self-oscillation stuff and then I was all :bacon: Very cool and deep sounds, if I had any hp left I could find a million uses for this. Especially in concert with a more standard VCO which is often how I use Braids.

grex
Common Wiggler

Post by grex » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 pm

robocoder wrote:sorry, but i am not really impressed too...

don't think that this module will get into my system...
i just don't really get it...
you can get almost same sounds with the shapeshfter.
just curious how you get sounds like that with the ss ...i wanna try !

Mefistophelees
USB Cat

Post by Mefistophelees » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:25 pm

MakeNoise deliver the goods yet again.

It seems to have a particular sound but why is this a problem? Standard VCOs are far more limited.

That said, I've been waiting for this since I heard the NAMM demos. I happen to like the sound and there do seem to be other sounds in there as well to explore.

I'm curious what it'll sound like through a guitar processor...

freeyerheel
Veteran Wiggler

Post by freeyerheel » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:03 am

from the make noise demo it seems like it will be pretty broad and allows lots of modulation as well as some random behavior from really clean bowed sounds to distorted bit crushed, also with vca, and quantizer and the strike inputs id say it has quite a bit of functionality. if i wasnt in such dire need of envelopes and vcas it would be my next module. sucks that so many great vco and wavetable items have been popping up because i basically have a system of vcos! i need to get it balanced out.

WhiteIsBeautiful
Common Wiggler

Post by WhiteIsBeautiful » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:47 am

seems fun with a good amount of modulation possibilities.im making a small make noise system so this with the STO could cover alot of ground. but i might wait for this in the BST section :75:

KrisM
Common Wiggler

Post by KrisM » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:30 am

"hitherto unheard of in the modular realm"

But not digital synths :) It sounds a lot like the OP-1's String engine (which is a physical modelling digital waveguide engine). Granted it has CV control and such...

Probably my favourite OP-1 engine, so I approve :)
Last edited by KrisM on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meh

DonaldCrunk
pregnant with sound

Post by DonaldCrunk » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 am

freeyerheel wrote:from the make noise demo it seems like it will be pretty broad and allows lots of modulation as well as some random behavior from really clean bowed sounds to distorted bit crushed, also with vca, and quantizer and the strike inputs id say it has quite a bit of functionality. if i wasnt in such dire need of envelopes and vcas it would be my next module. sucks that so many great vco and wavetable items have been popping up because i basically have a system of vcos! i need to get it balanced out.
i don't think it _has_ a quantizer on board , but if the controls are set properly it responds 1/v octave. at least that's what i'm understanding from the videos. i wouldn't mind a quantizer on input, but i can only think of one other oscillator off the top of my head with a quantized input..

we're doing this demo derby thing at knobcon this year where you can sit with a complete system and patch on your own for 30 min - i'm hoping to get some mysteron mysteries solved then. i'm still a little up in the air on it myself, actually.

phutureboy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by phutureboy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 pm

FS: EMS Analyse Filterbank B1-II | EMS AKS | RSF Expander I & II | PEARL Syncussion SY-1 | KORG MS-20 | KORG SQ-10

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:02 pm

mikecameron wrote:Get it first at Knobcon this weekend for $299
Does this price include sales tax? I'm guessing not. Just sayin!

skyshaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skyshaver » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:01 pm

I really wish I was going to knobcon :cry:

Nuuj
A$$ Wiggler

Post by Nuuj » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:44 am

DonaldCrunk wrote:
freeyerheel wrote:from the make noise demo it seems like it will be pretty broad and allows lots of modulation as well as some random behavior from really clean bowed sounds to distorted bit crushed, also with vca, and quantizer and the strike inputs id say it has quite a bit of functionality. if i wasnt in such dire need of envelopes and vcas it would be my next module. sucks that so many great vco and wavetable items have been popping up because i basically have a system of vcos! i need to get it balanced out.
i don't think it _has_ a quantizer on board , but if the controls are set properly it responds 1/v octave. at least that's what i'm understanding from the videos. i wouldn't mind a quantizer on input, but i can only think of one other oscillator off the top of my head with a quantized input..

we're doing this demo derby thing at knobcon this year where you can sit with a complete system and patch on your own for 30 min - i'm hoping to get some mysteron mysteries solved then. i'm still a little up in the air on it myself, actually.
On the Demo vid, they state that with the pitch knob all the way to 0 the pitch input becomes quantized.
https://rnuuja.bandcamp.com/album/this- ... oepuss-phd
https://soundcloud.com/r-nuuja
http://www.facebook.com/are.nuuja
http://rnuuja.tumblr.com/

vqlk: "...so seriously - this a forum dedicated to discussing each other's really lame and un-extreme modular synths??!"

VortexRanger
reticulating splines

Post by VortexRanger » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:48 am

If you had not seen it yet, the Mysteron manual is now available.

Here's the relevant info about Quantize Mode:
Removing all modulation from the Pitch 1 CV IN, and setting the PITCH panel control to Full CCW, will engage the
Quantize Mode. The Mysteron will remain in Quantize Mode as long as the PITCH parameter control remains at 0%
(PITCH panel control Full CCW and nothing patched to Pitch 1 CV IN). Quantize Mode is indicated by a the double
Flashing of the Mystery LED and forces the Mysteron to a 12 tone Chromatic scale with the pitch determined by
Pitch 2 CV IN. This is excellent for using the Mysteron in a melodic way alongside other sound sources such as an
STO or DPO VCO.
:hobbes:

anarchy4bits
Wiggling with Experience

Post by anarchy4bits » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:58 am

:party: mine its on way :omg:
Jessy i :love: you.

pfaffenberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pfaffenberg » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:43 am

Fucking DONE! and hopefully in the mail today :party:

davidh
Ultra Wiggler

Post by davidh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:23 am

not bad :bananaguitar:
[video][/video]

Upright
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Upright » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:02 am

davidh wrote:not bad :bananaguitar:
[video][/video]

Oh yeah...this is great. More vids please! My Mysteron should be here Monday!

:banana:

davidh
Ultra Wiggler

Post by davidh » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am

not mine, just found this video in google :lol:

Upright
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Upright » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:26 am

davidh wrote:not mine, just found this video in google :lol:

Ah ok. :D

EnricoGaruda
Wiggling with Experience

Post by EnricoGaruda » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:07 pm

certainly somethin da does sound diffrent

plogbidman
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by plogbidman » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:30 pm

A karplus-strong module... Nice, but not a bit limited in sonic possibilties ???

Return to “Eurorack Modules”