VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Post by mritenburg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:05 am

BrokenBo wrote:isn´t the VMS + Sequence Selector almost like a MARF.
The VMS by itself is already a mini-MARF. If you doubled the sequence length to 16 and gave it a second independent clock so it was two 16 stage sequencers it would be basically the same as a 248. There would still be a couple differences like loop points, etc.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:13 am

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:I hear you because I kind of have the same issue but I'll still favour playability over size restriction. Verbos modules feel great to play. Tiny modules don't.

Here's the gig case I'm working with at the moment. I have a 12u rack as well but I'm forcing myself to work with less modules and to understand them better. And I still don't think a smaller ATC would be necessary.
this will be my rack once my new case and 1u modules come in .The rest I pretty much have already Image

User avatar
Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 am
Location: Bdx, France.

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:21 am

I like it. I've been considering getting Mimeophon as well because I don't like the examples of the Verbos Multi-Delay online. And a 7u case I can take with me on a plane is my next buy. I wonder how the Lo-fi junky sounds with the CO. If you have any examples, I'd love to hear them. Also, I would probably get rid of Clouds if I were you but it might do some things I have no use for.

Also, seeing what you put in your case, I definitely understand your need for a good size/ratio when it comes to functions in modules, and I see how the ATC doesn't deliver for you in that aspect. My 6u is much more primitive than yours functionwise.

User avatar
belsina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 am

Post by belsina » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.

User avatar
belsina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 am

Post by belsina » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 pm

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:I don't see why they feel the need to remake the ATC. It's perfect sizewise as far as I'm concerned.(..)
+1

ATC size is perfect for me. Generally i like that Verbos build their modules not as tiny as other manufacturer. Feels very comfortable for me.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:29 pm

belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Post by mritenburg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:00 pm

damase wrote:
belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic
There are multiple LFO sources in the Verbos system:

VMS - can be reset
Control Voltage Processor cycling slew processor
Multi-Envelope in cycle mode - can be reset
Complex OSC modulation osc

+1 on a clocking/logic/trigger/pulse module
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

This and That


User avatar
belsina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 am

Post by belsina » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 pm

mritenburg wrote:
damase wrote:
belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic
There are multiple LFO sources in the Verbos system:

VMS - can be reset
Control Voltage Processor cycling slew processor
Multi-Envelope in cycle mode - can be reset
Complex OSC modulation osc

+1 on a clocking/logic/trigger/pulse module
Most time i use VMS as CV-Sequencer, ME as Envelope und CO OSC1 as modulator for OSC2. Its the o&C/ Disting principle: they can do a lot of things, but only once a time.
Sometimes i just need a simple LFO ;)
mritenburg wrote: +1 on a clocking/logic/trigger/pulse module
+1

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Post by yellowecho » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:36 pm

belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
I wouldn't mind seeing an updated, smaller Dual Four Pole.
Dedicated pulsers are common in Buchla systems so it'd be interesting to see what Mark could come up with.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:55 pm

mritenburg wrote:
damase wrote:
belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic
There are multiple LFO sources in the Verbos system:

VMS - can be reset
Control Voltage Processor cycling slew processor
Multi-Envelope in cycle mode - can be reset
Complex OSC modulation osc

+1 on a clocking/logic/trigger/pulse module
Same situation for me as belsina basically. My verbos resources are usually tied up in the pathh already. These things can be used as lfo and i definitely use them as very effective modulators, but i keep my IFM denum and swoop nearby and end up using them in almost every patch.

... and just imagine how much fun it would be to have a bunch of related lfos with that signature verbos ergonomics and playability!!

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:I like it. I've been considering getting Mimeophon as well because I don't like the examples of the Verbos Multi-Delay online. And a 7u case I can take with me on a plane is my next buy. I wonder how the Lo-fi junky sounds with the CO. If you have any examples, I'd love to hear them. Also, I would probably get rid of Clouds if I were you but it might do some things I have no use for.

Also, seeing what you put in your case, I definitely understand your need for a good size/ratio when it comes to functions in modules, and I see how the ATC doesn't deliver for you in that aspect. My 6u is much more primitive than yours functionwise.
actually haven't used Lofi Junky with Verbos yet but Ill make a record for you when I get a chance. Been using it with Rings mostly but everything I throw into it sounds great. Problem is I kinda wish I could use it as a SEND FX and lofi multiple sound sources at once . Mimeophon I can SUPER recommend. it sounds so damn good and its creative potential is enormous. I think my case is a bit too heavy with oscillators. Do I need 2 Complex Oscillators? Maybe not. But I'm having trouble giving up either of them, both Verbos CO and CS-L are special modules

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:25 pm

damase wrote:
belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic
let me ask though, why would you necessarily need an LFO by Verbos. An LFO is an LFO right? It's just a function generator over time and with so many to choose from, why would you even need to wait for a Verbos one?

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:27 pm

belsina wrote:
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:I don't see why they feel the need to remake the ATC. It's perfect sizewise as far as I'm concerned.(..)
+1

ATC size is perfect for me. Generally i like that Verbos build their modules not as tiny as other manufacturer. Feels very comfortable for me.
I love the knobs but surely you could cut down on the ATC's size a bit while keeping the knobs the same size. Lin CV could be below Exp Cv, move the Amplitude knob a bit left, maybe decrease it a tiny bit, and you would save like 6 HP

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Post by mritenburg » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:47 pm

zerodivide wrote:
belsina wrote:
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:I don't see why they feel the need to remake the ATC. It's perfect sizewise as far as I'm concerned.(..)
+1

ATC size is perfect for me. Generally i like that Verbos build their modules not as tiny as other manufacturer. Feels very comfortable for me.
I love the knobs but surely you could cut down on the ATC's size a bit while keeping the knobs the same size. Lin CV could be below Exp Cv, move the Amplitude knob a bit left, maybe decrease it a tiny bit, and you would save like 6 HP
I think the issue with the ATC is the availability of quality vactrols; which is becoming an issue for many makers. As I understand it, the cut down version does not use vactrols.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:33 am
Location: Texas

Post by damase » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:55 pm

zerodivide wrote:
damase wrote:
belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic
let me ask though, why would you necessarily need an LFO by Verbos. An LFO is an LFO right? It's just a function generator over time and with so many to choose from, why would you even need to wait for a Verbos one?
Just because they lfo doesnt mean they all lfo equally ;). I like the verbos design philosophy, he always has ideas and functionality that i wouldnt think of at first but his vision always makes sense and sparks creativity for me. And i like his designs being analog, no screens, no firmwares, no button combos lots of patch points, made be abused (the sound of course), and made to fit well within a verbos system

I think its normal to find the instrument creator that you just really love, and you desire their take on your favorite instruments

Oh and also bc schippmann just threw in the towel before his LFO released :ripbanana:

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Nutritional Zero » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Add to that:

- Attenuvertors (or “reversing attenuators” in Verbos speak) on every important input.
- Completely straightforward and “what you see is what you get.”
- Sounds nice.

Edit. forgot to add:

- Not a modular for ants. I’m getting older and my vision and fine motor skills are not what they used to be. I have one of those tiny Rings clones and it makes my eyes and hands hurt.
Last edited by Nutritional Zero on Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
belsina
Common Wiggler
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:06 am

Post by belsina » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:10 pm

damase wrote:
zerodivide wrote:
damase wrote:
belsina wrote:
Paul_N wrote:I keep wondering what Verbos will announce at NAMM 2020. The revised ATC is a given, but I am hoping for something else. (..)
A quad LFO would be nice or something similar, maybe Dual-LFO/ SlopeGen.
To me the verbos system is lacking some kind of LFO. Id love something along the HO/bark/ScanPan mixing concepts but with separate resets for the various waves.
Also would like to see some playable clock dividing and logic
let me ask though, why would you necessarily need an LFO by Verbos. An LFO is an LFO right? It's just a function generator over time and with so many to choose from, why would you even need to wait for a Verbos one?
Just because they lfo doesnt mean they all lfo equally ;). I like the verbos design philosophy, he always has ideas and functionality that i wouldnt think of at first but his vision always makes sense and sparks creativity for me. And i like his designs being analog, no screens, no firmwares, no button combos lots of patch points, made be abused (the sound of course), and made to fit well within a verbos system

I think its normal to find the instrument creator that you just really love, and you desire their take on your favorite instruments

Oh and also bc schippmann just threw in the towel before his LFO released :ripbanana:
Verbos has not a simple Envelope, its an MultiEnv with Stage outs.
Verbos has not a simple Mixer, its with VCA and scan/pan function.
Verbos has not a simple S&H, its an analog shift register.

How would be an LFO in the verbos-world? ;)

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 pm

I could get a deal on an ATC.

On the one hand I’m tempted to go for the original vactrol-based module, but also I suspect the new one might benefit from the intervening years of wisdom gained since the original module was designed (and transistor low-pass gates sound plenty good to me).

If rackspace were no issue, what would you do?

User avatar
TemplarK
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1184
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:31 pm
Location: Outer Space

Post by TemplarK » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:I could get a deal on an ATC.

On the one hand I’m tempted to go for the original vactrol-based module, but also I suspect the new one might benefit from the intervening years of wisdom gained since the original module was designed (and transistor low-pass gates sound plenty good to me).

If rackspace were no issue, what would you do?
I'd get the original mainly because i have it and don't see how a non-vactrol would have the same stunning effect. It really is very good module.

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 1:20 pm

Post by yellowecho » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:38 pm

TemplarK wrote:
Nutritional Zero wrote:I could get a deal on an ATC.

On the one hand I’m tempted to go for the original vactrol-based module, but also I suspect the new one might benefit from the intervening years of wisdom gained since the original module was designed (and transistor low-pass gates sound plenty good to me).

If rackspace were no issue, what would you do?
I'd get the original mainly because i have it and don't see how a non-vactrol would have the same stunning effect. It really is very good module.
:agree:

User avatar
Euro Trash Bazooka
Common Wiggler
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:44 am
Location: Bdx, France.

Post by Euro Trash Bazooka » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Yeah, go for it. It's just gorgeous.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:01 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:I could get a deal on an ATC.

On the one hand I’m tempted to go for the original vactrol-based module, but also I suspect the new one might benefit from the intervening years of wisdom gained since the original module was designed (and transistor low-pass gates sound plenty good to me).

If rackspace were no issue, what would you do?
i mean its hard to say before we have more info. But if I was a betting man in Vegas, the original Vactrol based one wins

Paul_N
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 pm

Post by Paul_N » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:22 pm

I believe there was a video from last NAMM or SuperBooth in which Mark had a prototype ATC in the case and was asked about it. The part of the comment that I remember the most was him kinda shrugging and stating “the world is going this way”. Given the amount of time for it to be released for production, I suspect a lot of time has been spent on the sonic fingerprint.

PGH is doing great things emulating the response curve of a vactrol (and even making it CV controllable) in the Voltage Reearch Lab. Their dynamics controller lets you switch between LPG/VCA/Filter with a special “pluck” mode. It is a lot of fun.

User avatar
Illwiggle
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Illwiggle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Wondering if Mark changed something in the Drive/Saturation circuit, because the new ATC definitely sounds very different than the original, & not really to my liking.....sort of like a silicon fuzz, more biting & sizzle on top, a bit dare I say ‘brittle’. I do agree though that the original ATC is too big for what it does; the Amp knob doesnt need that much real estate. I love my ATC, hope I never have to sell it!

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 447
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by zerodivide » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:43 pm

Illwiggle wrote:Wondering if Mark changed something in the Drive/Saturation circuit, because the new ATC definitely sounds very different than the original, & not really to my liking.....sort of like a silicon fuzz, more biting & sizzle on top, a bit dare I say ‘brittle’. I do agree though that the original ATC is too big for what it does; the Amp knob doesnt need that much real estate. I love my ATC, hope I never have to sell it!
basing this on the NAMM video alone? or is there something else out there?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”