VERBOS ELECTRONICS

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:12 am

any rumors or even facts about what is comming up next from verbos?
I know Marc keeps always quiet until modules are in stock at resellers, which is very laudable.. butmaybe you could spoil a bit or heard anything.

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:14 am

echoplex wrote:any rumors or even facts
Facts: touch keyboard and envelope generator. That's all that is known. I haven't heard any rumors.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

This and That

arpaxxe
Common Wiggler

Post by arpaxxe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Just bought a VHO off the forum here. Can't wait till it arrives!

finalmattasy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finalmattasy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:21 pm

So I got my Complex Oscillator and Amplitude module in today. Gladly didn't blow them up when I wired them wrong and plugged it in.. and scratched my head thinking the Cell48 wasn't giving power. Finally I read the boat's instructions online and had the genius discovery of -12v aligning so you don't destroy your modules. I wonder what would blow up if it did blow up; a part of the module, the whole thing, or just the power plug bit.

Anyways, I think it's working properly because it sounds awesome. There really is a bit of magic to the feeling of arranging the units, patching them up and turning the knobs. Kinda like you just invented the guitar and discovered a C chord.
Attachments
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 526 times

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

MAnahattan Analog use reverse protection circuits so thankfully cant blow something up. Yeah its a strange, aweful moment powering up the first time.....
look up!

Kummer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kummer » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Wow the cell series cases and the Verbos line really complement each other aesthetically.

ScubaGeek
Common Wiggler

Post by ScubaGeek » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:11 pm

mritenburg wrote:
echoplex wrote:any rumors or even facts
Facts: touch keyboard and envelope generator. That's all that is known. I haven't heard any rumors.
That touch keyboard is what has me interested at the moment. I saw the photo on ModularGrid, looks really good. Of course, if such a device actually is released from Verbos (I know Doepfer promised a touch keyboard a few years ago, but it never did come out, did it?) it may not look like what's in that picture. But I still want to see what he comes up with.

echoplex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by echoplex » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:21 pm

hopefully he will release when NAMM is starting :confused:

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:43 pm

echoplex wrote:hopefully he will release when NAMM is starting
I just assumed he was waiting until there are enough users with base systems who want a keyboard so he can recover his initial expenses in supplies and production ramp-up.

This and That

botstein
Veteran Wiggler

Post by botstein » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Episode #14 of my music tech podcast, The Distillery, is up with an interview of Mark Verbos of Verbos Electronics.

http://bit.ly/1kE4Db2
itunes:http://bit.ly/1pjsCgT
stitcher: http://bit.ly/1maPGDW

finalmattasy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finalmattasy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:43 am

Kummer wrote:Wow the cell series cases and the Verbos line really complement each other aesthetically.
I think they look pretty nice too.

Spent a few hours with it today, very impressed.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:10 am

Will verbos modules run off of a 15v blacet PSU?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:09 pm

jamb wrote:Will verbos modules run off of a 15v blacet PSU?
You should ask Verbos Electronics directly. They're good about responding to email. My gut says no. There are some modules out there (Ken Stones CGS stuff comes to mind) that will run off both +/-12v and +/-15v supplies.

This and That

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:48 am

Am I right in thinking that when analogue addressing the Multistage it doesn't output a gate per stage/ step?

wednesdayayay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by wednesdayayay » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:05 am

I'm excited to see his keyboard soon hopefully
sh is the sound of data
bobo is the gesture

PB

thermionicjunky
Thyratron Genius

Post by thermionicjunky » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:35 am

mritenburg wrote:
jamb wrote:Will verbos modules run off of a 15v blacet PSU?
You should ask Verbos Electronics directly. They're good about responding to email. My gut says no. There are some modules out there (Ken Stones CGS stuff comes to mind) that will run off both +/-12v and +/-15v supplies.
Considering the technology, it should work. Some modifications may be advisable for certain modules(resistor changes or recalibration). As far as I know, the only truly incompatible modules are some of the older Doepfer CEM modules. Those chips can't run on 15v.

SubliminalSandwich
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SubliminalSandwich » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:25 am

wednesdayayay wrote:I'm excited to see his keyboard soon hopefully
+1

with the keyboard, I might go for a verbos centred system..

Naut.Sirius
Common Wiggler

Post by Naut.Sirius » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:06 pm

Hi, does anyone know a way to get the Multistage to do a clock reset? IE after it's stopped to start back up at stage 1?

I'm using a combination of Silent Way's sync (In Ableton Live 9) and Pamela's workout to get Rene to do this and it's super tight and while I can get the Multistage to start and stop with clock from Pamela it just picks back up where it left off instead of the start of the sequence.
'Heaven above' fades from meaning when space-age conciousness asks, where is 'above'?

mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mritenburg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:14 pm

Naut.Sirius wrote:Hi, does anyone know a way to get the Multistage to do a clock reset? IE after it's stopped to start back up at stage 1?

I'm using a combination of Silent Way's sync (In Ableton Live 9) and Pamela's workout to get Rene to do this and it's super tight and while I can get the Multistage to start and stop with clock from Pamela it just picks back up where it left off instead of the start of the sequence.
Have you tried sending a pulse/gate to 'strobe' in with the 'analog' knob fully counter-clock wise? That should reset to stage 1.

This and That

Naut.Sirius
Common Wiggler

Post by Naut.Sirius » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:40 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Naut.Sirius wrote:Hi, does anyone know a way to get the Multistage to do a clock reset? IE after it's stopped to start back up at stage 1?

Have you tried sending a pulse/gate to 'strobe' in with the 'analog' knob fully counter-clock wise? That should reset to stage 1.
That does the trick 100% beautifully, thank you VERY MUCH :bananaguitar: :sb:
'Heaven above' fades from meaning when space-age conciousness asks, where is 'above'?

Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Sleipnir » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Navs wrote:Am I right in thinking that when analogue addressing the Multistage it doesn't output a gate per stage/ step?
Not sure if this is your issue, but perhaps the gates are too short? Maybe try wiggling the Time knob - that one got me when using external clocks.
Verbose Multistage Description wrote:If the sequence is advanced by an external pulse rather than the internal clock, the "time" control sets the slide length and the gate length in the "on" mode.
Unless you've latched Strobe, then
Verbose Multistage Description wrote:When “stobe” is latched, the “gate out” will always be high.
:despair:

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:57 am

Sleipnir wrote:
Navs wrote:Am I right in thinking that when analogue addressing the Multistage it doesn't output a gate per stage/ step?
...snip...

Unless you've latched Strobe, then
Verbose Multistage Description wrote:When “stobe” is latched, the “gate out” will always be high.
:despair:
Yes, I'm in analogue address mode e.g. a triangle LFO sweeps the stages back and forth.

That would limit this mode's use for me. If it doesn't derive/ deliver a trigger on each newly addressed step a work-around would involve more modules.

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:24 am

Could other Multistage users confirm the fact that engaging slide changes the voltage range from 0-10V to -10v to +10v on a positive going slew?

Hanz
Analogue Avenger

Post by Hanz » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:06 am

Navs wrote:Could other Multistage users confirm the fact that engaging slide changes the voltage range from 0-10V to -10v to +10v on a positive going slew?
No, can't confirm that - mine doesn't do that.
Does yours? Or rather, did you expect that, and why?

Note that if you would like to use the Voltage Multistage as a audio rate waveform generator and you were perhaps concerned about the DC shift that would be introduced - just running the signal through a filter would effectively AC-couple the signal, thereby removing the DC component. No worries!
No, not right. It does output a gate - both on the shared Gate Out and individually per stage, also when using analog addressing.
As said, triggering the Strobe outputs a Gate signal.
Just to make sure we're talking here, it does (obviously) not trigger when the Analog cv input changes - a stage change would only effectuated by triggering Strobe input (or through Advance / internal clocking).

The only thing that I found really counter-intuitive using analogue addressing is that the CV output A appears to ignore when the stage switch is set to OFF.
“...I am merely a conduit, a kind of big hairy tool. I am just a plastic funnel connected to a Moog...”

Navs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Navs » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:27 am

Thanks, Hanz.

It turns out it's a bit more confusing than I first thought: it slews into the step that has slide activated. But it behaves differently depending on the step and its value.

Try this:

step 1 @ full, all other faders zero, slide active on 1, all others 'on'.

This gives me a voltage that ramps from -10v to +10v.

Now flip the settings so that step 1 = 0 & 'on' and step 2 is full & 'slide'.

This gives me a unipolar voltage, 0-10v.

It does it when clocked externally too, where the 'time' setting affects the slew rate.

The above is the case on pairs of steps, 1+2, 3+4 etc. so maybe it's part of the design. But it would have repercussions for other functions like envelopes and wave-shaping. :hmm:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”