HEX ZONE mod questions

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

HEX ZONE mod questions

Post by jamb » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:24 pm

hey frac frenz,

i'm trying to find a project box or something to mount my hex zone module in... it moves around so much and i don't always need it in my travel case, so i want it to be standalone. i need something 6" wide x 5 - 5.25" high.

i lucked out and had a cardboard box that fits it perfectly, but it's not a long term solution. anyone have any recommendations?

ALSO, a bit more complicated of a question... would anyone know how to mod the GATE INPUT on the Hex Zone converting it to a TRIG IN? Here's my issue.. I use the hex with a bass drum and my I/O module-- basically i trigger each step of a sequence with one hit on the kick drum, using a mic on the kick running into the I/O, then fine-tuning the gate/trig out on the I/O -> GATE IN on the hex... This works alright some of the time, but other times, it pushes the sequence too many steps and I don't get a 1-step-to-1 kick ratio. Maybe it's more an issue of using the right microphone..

any input is appreciated! :tu:

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:34 pm

I don't have any ideas for a box, but regarding your trigger question, I would be inclined to leave the Hex Zone as it is and build a couple of external gate to trigger converters.

Ken Stone has a design here:

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/pic/sc ... totrig.gif

There is also a simple passive one you can build very easily in this thread

viewtopic.php?p=1221204&sid=5041405aa88 ... ea0e02df38

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:47 pm

What about a picture frame- modding something like this perhaps: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70243528/

With your gate to trigger thing perhaps you mod a 100n capacitor into a cable to shorten things.

Im weighing up mounting my hex zone too so Ill give you a shout should I find anything.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:35 pm

cool, thanks tIB.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”