Have these modules been successfully bananafied?

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Have these modules been successfully bananafied?

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Blacet SuperVCA (seems complicated)
Blacet linear VCA (would need a switch or two to handle normalization I think)
Blacet Time Machine
Wiard Boogie & Borg
Blacet MIDIverter
Blacet/SynthTech Morphing Terrarium

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

pretty certain i've seen a banana boogie and borg.

bugbrand did a run of morphing terrarium (banana obviously) from kits so it would certainly seem possible.

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:26 pm

SuperVCA can be done.....I did it.

Check the sticky bananafy thread in the frac forum.

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 pm

jenamu6 wrote:SuperVCA can be done.....I did it.

Check the sticky bananafy thread in the frac forum.
I see tons of references to the Quad Mix VCA, but not the SuperVCA.

jenamu6
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jenamu6 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Ohh..i mix those up all the time.....aren't they samish?

Ekofisk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Ekofisk » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Tom (Bugbrand) did my Borg and Boogie some time ago. They now belong to Otoskope, I believe. Think these two are pretty straight forward.

I was going to do my Time Machine (when I had it) but never got around to it. Seems easy enough as the placement of jacks etc are totally compatible with bananas.

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:40 pm

jenamu6 wrote:Ohh..i mix those up all the time.....aren't they samish?
ish. SuperVCA has a lot packed in there - I think it's 3 PCBs stacked together. I seem to remember some folks speculating that it might be tough to bananafy this one. I haven't done any, so I really don't know what I'm dealing with. Just gathering info at the moment.

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Ekofisk wrote:Tom (Bugbrand) did my Borg and Boogie some time ago. They now belong to Otoskope, I believe. Think these two are pretty straight forward.

I was going to do my Time Machine (when I had it) but never got around to it. Seems easy enough as the placement of jacks etc are totally compatible with bananas.
That's good to hear.
With the Time Machine, I'd imagine the complication would be that the external modulation input is a switching jack that selects between envelope follower + external source. You'd need to put a switch in for that I guess.
I always thought it would be nice to have an output for the internal LFO and envelope follower, too. Wonder if anyone's tried to squeeze that in somewhere.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:24 pm

anyone bananified the JAG?

would love to to it to my HEX zone , but pretty sure that is outta the question.

Ted2
Common Wiggler

Post by Ted2 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Yeah, not sure about that Super VCA. I've got that one as well, and it seems like it'd be tricky. I dunno-- I'd only want to bananafy if i could do the whole rig, and the hex and the super vca don't seem possible :(

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:52 am

Normalisation tends to be the only 'difficulty' with Blacet modules.
I know some people have added extra sockets (kind of like hidden extras inside the module).
You can always leave off extra switches and just manually patch..

Wiard Borg & Boogie - super simple!
Noisering - simple except the normalisation but the PCB vs Jacks are separated so you've got easy access & plenty of space to work in.

JAG - much more difficult, but def. can be done - I had to slice PCB material off each side - the difficulty was that the PCB was held on by the sockets.

I actually did a 'shallow' (parallel PCB redesign) of the Blacet Midi-to-CV - can't find a picture on the computer though.. I'm anti the depth of many blacet modules!

Most things can be banananananananafied.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 am

yeah, if only blacet modules were shallow! that's what i love about my 1200s.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:08 am

jenamu6 wrote:Ohh..i mix those up all the time.....aren't they samish?
Not really since the SuperVCA is much more complex. It's a quad VCA with a fifth master VCA featuring a clever normalisation scheme for: fading, signal swapping, panning, and splitting.

http://blacet.com/VCA2930Manual.pdf

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 pm

The biggest challenges to bananafiying a module is Normalization of course (easily seen on most front panels) and when the panels are parallel to the metalwork. On parallel panels the hassle is that most banana jacks are much deeper than the 3.5mm ones they are replacing. most will not fit. I have seen pictures of one users solution which was using a sleeve on the outside of the panel to hold the banana jack off the panel to make its behind the panel depth less to clear the PCB. this may look funny to some but it does work. If the 3.5mm jacks have metal sleeves that the knurled nuts screw onto then those are very shallow behind the panel. If the module has plastic sleeves and the board is parallel than they are using Kobiconn or Lih Shen jacks (or ones like them) and there is a healthy 13mm or so behind the panel to use.

Perpendicular PCBs are almost always a snap to convert. Sometimes the maker uses the jacks for PCB support but you can get small brackets or even use bus wire tied around the banana jacks to do that job.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 pm

jamb wrote:would love to to it to my HEX zone , but pretty sure that is outta the question.
I think there's a photo of a bananafied Hex Zone in the sticky topic about banana conversion. I agree, that sounds amazing.

Thanks for all the helpful info, folks... nobody has messed with the Linear VCA I guess.

monstrinho
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monstrinho » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:39 pm

I just finished building a Time Machine a few days ago, and it definitely could be bananafied. Lots of room to work with and nothing really problematic. As far as the Morphing Terrarium goes, as someone else mentioned, Paul will sell you a DIY version with no font panel or jacks. Probably much easier than trying to modify the frac version. FWIW, I ithink Paul also sells the Cloud Generator (and maybe the other Synth Tech modules as well) for DIY.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Mood Organ wrote:
jamb wrote:would love to to it to my HEX zone , but pretty sure that is outta the question.
I think there's a photo of a bananafied Hex Zone in the sticky topic about banana conversion. I agree, that sounds amazing.

Thanks for all the helpful info, folks... nobody has messed with the Linear VCA I guess.
link to this photo? can't seem to find it...

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:36 pm

jamb wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:
I think there's a photo of a bananafied Hex Zone in the sticky topic about banana conversion.
link to this photo? can't seem to find it...
Yeah, I'm not seeing it now. Maybe it was in another thread or perhaps I was just dreaming.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:08 am

otoskope
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by otoskope » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:08 am

A bit late to the party, but some answers:
1200 series Boogie and Borg are easy. I have two of each, bananafied by Tom Bugs, but I have modified them further a bit, and they have the jacks separate, so easy to do. Noisering needs one or two switches as normalization replacement, but the filters work without it.

Blacet Time Machine is easy too. I have bananfied mine, and I added a switch for the external mod input. That's all. Lot's of mods available for it, too, but I haven't done them, yet. Shouldn't be too different with bananas.

I've been wondering myself about the SuperVCA. Certainly possible, but difficult.

HexZone - I have investigated it thoroughly, and it's possible. Haven't had the time to do it yet, though. Needs a couple of switches though for the clock jacks. Get rid of the jack daughterboards - but they are only for straightforward routing to the minijacks. Easy to replicate with cables. Main problem is securing the PCBs to the panel at the right distance for the display. And some banana jack models are too deep, but it seems the ones used in Bugbrand are ok.

The JAG can be done but is difficult - mine was bananfied by Tom Bugs (bought it from from Ekofisk). Tom says it was a bit tricky - you need to cut in the PCB to give way for the jacks. But certainly possible!

/Palle
The brain is always greener on the other side.

soundcloud1 soundcloud2
bandcamp
youtube

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks, otoskope!

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”