road cases

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Joe., luketeaford, lisa, Kent

Nouadh
Learning to Wiggle

road cases

Post by Nouadh » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:35 pm

newb question, need to get a road/flight case, i have to racks so i need a 6 space rack flight case or 8?

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:24 am

If you have two frac racks that is 2 times 3U = 6U flight case.

Nouadh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nouadh » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:12 am

so 6u is 6 spaces i assume
hence this would do the trick?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s- ... 97.499.001

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:54 pm

^ I don't see the depth listed on that case.

You will need 11 inches if you mount the PSU to the back of the frame.

noisefor
Common Wiggler

Post by noisefor » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:28 pm

i use a 12u 10" version of this:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... eet2.shtml

a little more $ than the gc one, but well worth it! they are solid road/gig worthy and super well made - will take a pounding. comes with rails on both sides, but you can remove rear to decrease weight. interior is 10" front to back and both doors are an extra 3.5" approx. leaves approx. 2" of space behind power supply, so plenty of room. that other one seems deeper than you might need actually. these are on the heavier side with the doors on, but lightweight when both are off.

idiotunderground
Common Wiggler

Post by idiotunderground » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:38 am

any other suggestions on where to look? i too am thinking of getting a proper flight case for travel...would need 9U, seems like it's not a standard size on most of these sites

whitewulfe
Chaos beckons, I heed the call

Post by whitewulfe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 am

idiotunderground wrote:any other suggestions on where to look? i too am thinking of getting a proper flight case for travel...would need 9U, seems like it's not a standard size on most of these sites
I'd say just go with 10U, which would allow for a 1U utility strip that could have multiples, passive attenuators, simple LFOs, etc.

idiotunderground
Common Wiggler

Post by idiotunderground » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 am

yah, i've considered that. don't really need the extra space though, and would rather just keep the box the size i need

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:12 am

whitewulfe wrote:
idiotunderground wrote:any other suggestions on where to look? i too am thinking of getting a proper flight case for travel...would need 9U, seems like it's not a standard size on most of these sites
I'd say just go with 10U, which would allow for a 1U utility strip that could have multiples, passive attenuators, simple LFOs, etc.
I have two 10U cases built for this very reason. I went the expensive custom built route, but for the extra $$ I have a couple of super strong cases (which I've already flown with) with the exact dimensions I need.

idiotunderground
Common Wiggler

Post by idiotunderground » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 am

solitaryzen wrote:for the extra $$ I have a couple of super strong cases (which I've already flown with) with the exact dimensions I need.
where did you get yours?

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:56 am

idiotunderground wrote:
solitaryzen wrote:for the extra $$ I have a couple of super strong cases (which I've already flown with) with the exact dimensions I need.
where did you get yours?
I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Had them custom made by Nova Forge. Pics in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=46479&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:25 am

odyssey makes nice all black cases but nothing this with this shallow of a depth i don't think. also, i think they only have 8u not 9... :( still nice cases thoug!

http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-prod ... -rack.html

noisefor
Common Wiggler

Post by noisefor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:08 pm

so i posted above... the audiopile rue-10 series cases are 11.5" deep from front of case to back without doors (10" from front rail to rear rail, but since frac users don't need rear rail for support the relative measurement for frac users is front support rail to the back of the case where door meets, OR, 11" which is PERFECT! this leaves approx. 2" of space for power cables behind psu [see pic above] and plenty of breathing room for a pcb that runs deeper than normal). these cases are tour solid, and they come in 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12U versions. don't know if it's cuz you guys are in the uk/aussie or something, but these are a no-brainer if you factor in price/quality.

the models i am referring to are the one's in the left column:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases ... page.shtml

i am about to post my 12u for sale soon, actually. paired down my system.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:44 pm

anyone have experience with pearson cases?

http://www.pearsoncases.com/simple_racks.htm

the simple cases look cool, i might try it out for my 6s traveling case.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29201-1398/gr-6s

VERSES

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/29189-541/g-tour-efx6

both are equally shallow it seems.. worth the extra hundred bones?

guess the EWI case is still the best buy by far.. shallower and 170 dollars cheaper... damn. anyone else bought from audiopile.com before?

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:54 pm

the case at the top appears different than any other ABS flightcase i've seen... it doesn't have the ugly silver border on the top and bottom. wonder if this was modded, or if this is a brand i've never heard of.. anyone know? seems like having that bar removed on the top and bottom would be effective for ventilation purposes.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:17 pm

http://www.caseman.com/product/1600NF.html

this would fit 9u almost perfectly. deep enough if you mount PSU inside rack.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 pm

I use Gator plastic moulded cases for home and live. The wooden ones with metal edges are so heavy and IMO don't offer anything extra in terms of shock protection. They are probably more durable in the long run, but I don't plan on bashing my cases about anyway.

The plastic ones don't always stack exactly evenly, but the metal rails are always cut exactly right. I had a custom made wooden type one, but the rails weren't that even and I didn't feel that happy mounting my module frames onto them as they needed to get bent slightly to fit on.

The threaded strips on the Gators are a bit of a PITA but everything else about them is good.

I believe Boschma make the best, and also make them without needing Chinese children. But they don't go up to 10U which is what I needed.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”