Blacet kit difficulty vs Paia

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Blacet kit difficulty vs Paia

Post by ddoyen » Wed May 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Hey guys, first real post on the board.

Looking to get started with some diy modular. My plan is to start with the Paia 9700s because it's so affordable and then expand on that with some blacet and new paia modules, etc.

I can't seem to find much info comparing the difficulty of Blacet kits to Paia. I don't read schematics, but I've put together some other diy projects (Atari Punk Console and Casper Electronics Drone Lab). I'm pretty sure I can handle the Paia stuff now, but will I need any more electronics knowledge for Blacet kits?

Thanks! :deadbanana:

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed May 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Hopefully somebody else will answer about the Paia. I haven't built any. I can tell you that the Blacet kits are really well written up. If you have the patience to read and follow directions, take your time and check your work, you'll be fine. In the PDFs about the modules he'll warn you if a particular module is best for more experienced builders.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Wed May 16, 2012 6:13 pm

paia instructions are extremely detailed and easy to follow
and scott at paia is extremely helpful and responsive and is happy to work with you over the phone if you have any problems
the best customer support ive experienced so far in modular
that said some of the modules like the vco and vcf are a bit annoying because of how much flying wire is involved but if you are a patient builder then it doesnt really matter

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Wed May 16, 2012 8:33 pm

i've built some of each; documentation is good for both, but i'd rate blacet better in terms of completeness and detail. on the other hand, quality of blacet designs as significantly better than Paia, more than than justifying the cost. IMNSHO.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

nikmis
my last name backwards

Post by nikmis » Wed May 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Paia isn't necessarily difficult. However the original 9700 core modules (the dual vco/AsR, the dual filter/AsR, and the dual vca) have a lot going on behind each panel. So there are a lot of wires behind each one, the 'flying wires'. Its easy to make it a jumbled mess and make it hard to trace problems. That makes them a little more difficult than blacet, in my opinion. I can't speak for the newer 9700 modules, though

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Thu May 17, 2012 7:04 am

The newer 9700 modules are all board mounted jacks/pots, and SMD components. If you get a kit the PCB comes pre-populated. So it's as easy as you can get! Although not as much fun if you're a solder junky.

ddoyen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ddoyen » Thu May 17, 2012 7:10 am

Sweet thanks for the input everyone. Ordered the 9700s this morning and I already want more!

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Thu May 17, 2012 12:58 pm

fluxmonkey wrote: but i'd rate blacet better in terms of completeness and detail.
really? i feel the complete opposite. i thought the paia stuff was more thorough..filled with info pictures testing procedures etc

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”