Wiard 1200 discontinued?

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Wed May 13, 2009 6:43 pm

I don't care what color the panels come out as i stated before, but I think that the most wanted color is Blue with the wiard graphics.

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:57 pm

I'm bumping this thread again with the recent news of new Malekko made Wiard modules. I know there are alot of frac users out there that would like some modules who aren't willing to make the switch over to eurorack (just look at the past posts on this thread).

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:35 pm

If I didn't say before, I'd be very interested in Frac versions of the wonderful Wiard designs.

If they're quite shallow (like the orig. Wiards I've seen) I'd be especially interested. Perhaps with*out* PCB mounted minijack sockets? Then, again if like the originals, they'd be pretty easy to change to banana. If that was possible then I daresay several people from the current BugModular group would be right-interested in getting in on the action too!

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:41 pm

BugBrand wrote:If I didn't say before, I'd be very interested in Frac versions of the wonderful Wiard designs.

If they're quite shallow (like the orig. Wiards I've seen) I'd be especially interested. Perhaps with*out* PCB mounted minijack sockets? Then, again if like the originals, they'd be pretty easy to change to banana. If that was possible then I daresay several people from the current BugModular group would be right-interested in getting in on the action too!
I feel the same way, as I am banana-fiying my system.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:59 pm

Banana-Frackers unite! Image Image

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:32 pm

BugBrand wrote:If I didn't say before, I'd be very interested in Frac versions of the wonderful Wiard designs.

Tom! You should get in touch with Grant & ask him if he'll license the designs to you!!! (if you're not too busy with your own stuff already)

I know Grant has at least a year of 300 series orders to finish, so waiting for him to do them will break musician's hearts.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:41 pm

Oh man, just the idea of Wiard modules in Frac with bananas as default is awesome. :nana:

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:00 pm

parasitk wrote:Banana-Frackers unite! Image Image
You have nothing to lose but your multiples!!

My system is / will be 50/50 (eventually leaning t'wards banana at the rate I'm making these Lunetta modules tho!)

I will buy Wiard modules in any format...

as long as its Frac!

:goo:

tragedybysyntax
Banned until Restitution Made

Post by tragedybysyntax » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:22 am

I'd switch all my euro and frac over to banana if it was easy. Unfortunatly... isnt there alot of modules that are pcb mounted jacks? that would be a f'ng hoe to convert. Sux....
- [ Custom Metalwork ] -

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm

tragedybysyntax wrote:I'd switch all my euro and frac over to banana if it was easy. Unfortunatly... isnt there alot of modules that are pcb mounted jacks? that would be a f'ng hoe to convert. Sux....
I'm a little nervous to pickup the window comparator from Blacet because of the difficulty of replacing those jacks. I would probably have to remount the circuit board to the face plate.

Cat-A-Tonic
Lobsters love Muff

Post by Cat-A-Tonic » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:28 pm

panda30y wrote:
tragedybysyntax wrote:I'd switch all my euro and frac over to banana if it was easy. Unfortunatly... isnt there alot of modules that are pcb mounted jacks? that would be a f'ng hoe to convert. Sux....
I'm a little nervous to pickup the window comparator from Blacet because of the difficulty of replacing those jacks. I would probably have to remount the circuit board to the face plate.
It has 2 PCBs mounted perpendicular to the faceplate (vertically, and parallel to each other).
The left PCB is just for jacks, and you could probably just wire bananas directly from the socket of the cable that connects the boards instead of using this jack-board.
I think you should be able use bananas for the Window Comparator.
There might be some minor workarounds to make it happen, but if you build it from the kit it probably won't be too bad.
Someone else on here built his Hex Zone with bananas and that worked out fine.
The Hex Zone uses the same board mounted jacks as the Window Comparator.

To get back on topic with the Wiard stuff...
Malekko is priced about 25% cheaper than the original 1200 series modules.
If you wanted a whole rack's worth of them the savings would easily offset the cost of getting a Eurorack and power supply.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:43 pm

The left PCB is just for jacks, and you could probably just wire bananas directly from the socket of the cable that connects the boards instead of using this jack-board.
You're in luck! It's just like the PlanB M12 you see here. The jacks in the foreground used to be on a skinny little jack board connected to the main board by a ribbon.
I put that stuff in a drawer and wired up my own ribbon.

panda30y
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by panda30y » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:23 am

Nice! Thanks for the heads up, now it's just the matter of building funds... :hmm:

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:58 am

i'm trying too hard to fill in the missing pieces of history here.... this is such an old thread, but i'm not finding any other new information on this.

did malekko ever make the run of wiard 1200's in frac? what the hell happened??

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:59 am

I'm pretty sure he never did, I would certainly have bought frac-format VCO modules if he had.
Last edited by Norman_Phay on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 pm

tease! poor frac, what neglect!

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:29 pm

I wish Grant had shunted the Wiard 1200 stuff over to Blacet or some other manufacturer. Those filters are way, WAY more interesting than the Blacet ones (my opinion of course) & the Noise Ring just rules. albeit the Frac version lacks Clock In. It's a real shame.

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am

I think Grant did offer to Blacet - but the offer wasn't taken up. I may have that wrong but I seem to remember that.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:45 pm

chamomileshark wrote:I think Grant did offer to Blacet - but the offer wasn't taken up. I may have that wrong but I seem to remember that.
:bang:

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 pm

now malekko is eating it up

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 am

Mood Organ wrote:
chamomileshark wrote:I think Grant did offer to Blacet - but the offer wasn't taken up. I may have that wrong but I seem to remember that.
:bang:
Quite. I may have that wrong so please don't take it as fact unless Grant or John confirm. I'm not a technical person so I've no clue about how easy or difficult it would have been. I'm not an expert in business either so I can't comment on business fit etc. Of course John already sells Wiard designs under Blacet, the miniwave so it has worked and been successful in the past.

Personally, I'm ok with it. I've jumped formats to follwo the Wiard dream but Euro is a step I probably won't take. I have plenty of Wiard here and I am almost modular complete save for a couple of Blacet modules.
Key Gear: Wiard 300 Series, EMS VCS3, Frac Modular (Blacet, Wiard, Bananalogue & Synthesis Technology).

Pastoral Music: Mark Ellery Griffiths
Music: https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Experimental & IDM: Mark Dalton Griffiths
Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”