No LPGs In Frac?!

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

No LPGs In Frac?!

Post by DGTom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:34 am

Is it just me? Or is this the case? (Borg Filter maybe? Not counting Bug Brand as I guess that can be seen as a 'closed format' system somewhat like Serge or Buchla for the time being)

I don't really want to build another Euro rack & if all goes according to plan my 84hp is going to be a 'groovebox on meth' or 'Sqronk-Box' as I've been calling it, with a couple of MFB seq'ing modules, 3 dual LFOs, 152 & no audio, just CV.

The plan is to Shanghai my Model 15 into Frac to make this work... anyone know if the Doepfer 101-2 wil work on 15v? I'm going to pick one of those up 1st & run it on 12v, just to make sure I like LPGs 'in real life' - based on every audio demo I've heard online I'm gonna love em!

Note to Frac-ufacturers; We Need Low Pass Gates!!!

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 am

wiard borg and boogie both sound extremely nice when used as gates.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:06 am

Well, you're right that the BugModular *IS* quite a closed system but I certainly aim to get some 1/8" versions of various modules out along the way.
(all designs and panels are perfectly capable of using 1/8" sockets - just takes a little more wiring for me)

After initial discussions with some of the new bug-system users, it was quickly decided that a dual LPG (single frac-width -- ie 1.5" wide) would be good - there's already the DD1 with BalMod / LPG, but people were asking for several LPGs without the need for several BalMods as well... So I have designed the dual and am ordering boards today. Now, I won't say this WILL be available outside the banana-peeps I'm working with, but there is a chance...

Mainly to note that I've already got a lot going on just with the 12 initial systems and my other Weevil devices, so 1/8" can't yet be much of a focus... All is 'time-allowing'!

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:20 am

Babaluma wrote:wiard borg and boogie both sound extremely nice when used as gates.
Second that on the Borg though can't comment on the Boogie which I've never heard.

The Borg might seem expensive compared to the Doepfer A101-2 but I think it's well worth it's money.

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:45 am

BugBrand wrote:Well, you're right that the BugModular *IS* quite a closed system but I certainly aim to get some 1/8" versions of various modules out along the way.
I hope my comment didn't come across as me complaining, which is really not the case.

The way you are doing it is awesome & it will ensure an amazing system fufills its potential.

I just know that;
BugBrand wrote:Mainly to note that I've already got a lot going on just with the 12 initial systems and my other Weevil devices, so 1/8" can't yet be much of a focus... All is 'time-allowing'!
So, if / when you are able to do some 1/8" it will be a bonus for us Fracers!

Single width dual LPG would be cooler than cold things on ice!!! But, I gotta say the LPG / BalMod combo is a pretty inspired, alternate VCA combo!
Babaluma wrote:wiard borg and boogie both sound extremely nice when used as gates.
I don't think Borg / Boogie is an option either at the moment is it? I'm pretty sure Grant isn't taking orders for Frac Noiserings & assumed that the same would be true of the other Frac modules. Does the Boogie use vactrols?

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:54 am

have no idea of the current status of the 1200 series modules, you'd have to talk to grant directly.

yep, borg and boogie both use vactrols, loads more info on the wiard yahoo group. they both have quite a different sound, both sound fantastic in place of a vca.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 am

DGTom wrote:I hope my comment didn't come across as me complaining, which is really not the case.
Absolutely not!
No, as I say, I'd *love* to be able to help out the Frac world, but time is always busy, so we'll see how it all goes!
Best for now...
Tom

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:54 am

Yeah, Borg and Boogie are the only 1/8" LPGs at the moment. :( The Borg is an amazing LPG though! If you can snag a used one, definitely do!

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 am

Borg is pretty much #1 on my 'Big Game Hunting' list!

I spot a hole in the market :help:

chamomileshark
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chamomileshark » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:05 am

Another recommendation for the Wiard Borg2. I couldn't decide which Wiard filter to get for my system so I did the logical thing and got both. I've not tried the Boogie as an LPG yet. I do remember there is an instruction on how to put it into that mode in the Yahoo group.

Maybe Grant can help, I thought he was still doing the black Frac versions. There is someone else looking for a Wiard Borg2 on that list, not sure if it is the OP, if not, be aware others are looking and the second hand market is somewhat thin...

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:55 am

I'll agree that the Borg is absolutley fantastic - I had a chance to try one briefly last week when I mod'd one for banana format (a very easy changeover) and was really amazed by the versatility of the module.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 am

no borg but boogie for sale on the blacet site at the mo...

plord
Wacky for Wiard Wiggler

Post by plord » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:38 pm

Babaluma wrote:no borg but boogie for sale on the blacet site at the mo...
It didn't last an hour.

perky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by perky » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:31 pm

Hmmm i couldnt find it, I searched the blacet site, but where was it?
:bang:

perky
Wiggling with Experience

Post by perky » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:42 pm

can somebody please point to where it was?
i dont want to miss one again :mad:

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:50 pm

oops - double post
Last edited by sandyb on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sandyb

Post by sandyb » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm

perky wrote:can somebody please point to where it was?
i dont want to miss one again :mad:

http://blacet.com/bargains.html

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Man I wish we could still get frac Boogie filters new. :waah:

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:13 pm

I wonder if Grant would be up for selling pcbs only?
Does anyone know if there are a lot of rare parts? Or if it would be a difficult build?

Seems like there are loads of people still after the 1200s

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:33 pm

damn! for real. blacet was selling wiard. lol. there was a lot of other cool stuff too that's gone but i didn't catch the boogie.

i did grab the paia midi/cv though.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

DGTom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DGTom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 pm

I totally forget about that Bargains page! :doh:

*Bookmarked*

I still think there is need of a stock / vanilla LPG in frac. Borg & Boogie seem to be so much more.

I got all digits crossed for a Bug Brand, single width dual LPG!!! :sb:

Thet wud b teh awezome!!!

Roycie Roller
Death Row Wiggler

Post by Roycie Roller » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:36 pm

scozbor wrote:I wonder if Grant would be up for selling pcbs only?
Does anyone know if there are a lot of rare parts? Or if it would be a difficult build?
My 6 jack version of the Noise Ring is mostly surface mount components and some tiny wire links here and there. I don't think the parts are silkscreened on the pcb. You would need the schematics & a BOM to build it, and some close-up photos of a stuffed pcb and pot and jack wiring for guidance..
Without all of that, it looks like it would be quite complicated to get a working module from just a pcb alone.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:44 am

does anyone know of a good diy option for an lpg?

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:03 am

I did the Thomas White one. Not sure if you can still get the PCBS or not. If you can get one (or 2) they're well worth doing.

fluxmonkey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fluxmonkey » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:49 am

this is my dual LPG using the Thomas White boards. Offset pots have push/pull switches to enable the deep mod, but i seldom use it.
www.fluxmonkey.com

BUILDER FOR HIRE - kits or custom, email me with your needs

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”