Is this how Blacet typically runs?

Blacet, Metalbox, Synthasonic, PAiA and the rest.... a frac frenzy!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Kwote
Voltage Controlled Crackpot

Post by Kwote » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:59 am

haricots wrote:Yeah, Blacet's communication is not great. He's ignored a bunch of my emails requesting help or information regarding certain modules - I get the feeling he doesn't have much patience for people with little experience with modulars and DIY building.
he's probably pretty busy. i get most of my questions fielded by him.

when i first got my setup i asked what would be the best modules to get first and he gave some suggestions. when i got my stuff i was dumb enough to plug one of the modules in wrong. only connecting 3 of the 4 pins. he sorted me on that too.

my guess is you may be asking things that you could be looking up in the manuals or on the forums and blacet mailing list. you can't expect him to answer everything.

i actually try my best to leave him out of the loop unless i'm enquiring about purchasing something. i've gotten pretty curt answers the couple times i asked for things that weren't listed on the blacet site. but you can't blame me for trying :)

overall i'm glad he's around doing what he's doing and i have no complaints.
Self expression is as essential as breathing
kwotemusic.com
my other sites

Tubeampguy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tubeampguy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:10 am

SO it seems I'm NOT alone wondering about order turn around! That helps me feel a we bit better. I just wish he would send a email when he sends orders out. I thought USPS Priority had tracking? I just placed my first order with JOHN a week ago. I emailing him after a week and he emailed back saying it went out Friday (2/8) If I could just track my purchase I would feel a lot better. Fingers crossed it will be here tomorrow! I have BIG :blacet: plans!

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 am

No, I've never received a shipping/tracking notification. But then I'd rather not know that my stuff is sitting in customs for weeks on end :bang:

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:34 am

Same overhere: no notification on shipment. Anyway, I still think John is doing a great job. He'd even replied to one of my mails on a sunday and provided a free MN3005 for a TM I sent in for repair.

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:43 pm

haricots wrote:Yeah, Blacet's communication is not great. He's ignored a bunch of my emails requesting help or information regarding certain modules - I get the feeling he doesn't have much patience for people with little experience with modulars and DIY building.
i get the feeling that he's a dick. i wont buy anything direct from blacet. he has been rude/dismissive to myself and other people i know. fuck that. show some respect to your customers, after all they are the reason you are able to make your living.

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 am

JB is the last person I'd think of as "a dick", I've always found him very helpful and courteous when I've emailed him because I've got stuck with something. Baffled by this I must admit.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:46 am

Norman_Phay wrote:JB is the last person I'd think of as "a dick", I've always found him very helpful and courteous when I've emailed him because I've got stuck with something. Baffled by this I must admit.
Me, too. Nothing but good experience with him.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 am

JB got me started in modulars. He is a god amongst men. No shit can really be spoken of him, he is not rude or dismissive or a dick. On the contrary he has been one of the most important figures in my modular dvelopment especially in the early days.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am

He's always been extremely helpful and friendly to me. His answers are quite short, and he doesn't often reply if I mention anything about eurorack :) but I don't see anything out of the ordinary about that.

And as far as making a living goes, it's pretty unlikely that Blacet is making a living from his module sales.

Samuron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Samuron » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 am

vmgas wrote:i get the feeling that he's a dick. i wont buy anything direct from blacet. he has been rude/dismissive to myself and other people i know. fuck that. show some respect to your customers, after all they are the reason you are able to make your living.
This is 180 degrees form my experience; my orders have arrived quickly, and all of my questions have been answered.
A modular synthesizer is not a musical instrument; it is a spiritual ham radio.

Eurorack is the sprinkles on the 5U donut.

My Current Modular

Days since I ordered a Club Of The Knobs C964

emmaker
Veteran Wiggler

Post by emmaker » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

I haven't got anything other than excellent service from John and his company. First order I put in he sent back an email checking to make sure that I knew what I was doing. I already had some MOTM power stuff and he made sure that I had the power setup for what I was putting together. All my orders have been shipped promptly and received quickly (might help I'm only about 400 miles away). Only real complaint I have is it would be nice to have more filter and 'wave forming' options.

Jay S.

ginorobair
Common Wiggler

Post by ginorobair » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:21 am

I've ordered direct from Blacet a number of times, and everything was a-ok each time. He even came to one or two of the Bay Area AH events with a system for us to play around with. I'd buy again from him w/o hesitation.

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

wow.... yeah, he's always been good with me.

jamb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jamb » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:27 pm

A+ to Mr. Blacet

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm

I remember being a little spun out by the shortness of his replies and minimal communication at first, but I have dealt with him quite a bit in the last 5 years with both repairs and purchases and I have nothing but respect for the man.

I just get the feeling he is really busy...

:hail: :hail: :blacet: :hail: :hail:

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Ive never bought direct but John has been very helpful whenever Ive had questions. He's concise.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:09 pm

vmgas wrote:i get the feeling that he's a dick. i wont buy anything direct from blacet. he has been rude/dismissive to myself and other people i know. fuck that. show some respect to your customers, after all they are the reason you are able to make your living.
:fu:

this would seemingly be a case of pot/kettle/black, if john was indeed a pot, kettle, or dick, but he's none of those things, so that just leaves you.

:fap:

i placed probably close to 30 or 40 separate orders with john blacet over the years from 2002 to 2011, and never once had a bad experience. shipping (to JAPAN ffs!!!) was always ridiculously fast, and he packs stuff incredibly well. i've never had better service. he's helped me out on numerous occasions, sent me free replacement parts if something went wrong WAY after the warranty had run out, and just been a genuinely good soul all around. in fact, in 15 years of being into modulars, i think yours is the first negative experience i have ever read.

:despair:

rezzn8r
Aural Enthusiast

Post by rezzn8r » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:20 pm

JB is aces in my books
WTB: Miniwave Vowels & GR-New ROMs
-----------------
http://analognoisemonster.bandcamp.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/rezzn8r

cerebrosis
digital sympathizer

Post by cerebrosis » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:57 am

I order kits or modules at the start of the week and its here by the end of the same week. Thats good enough for me. I don't need someone to hold my hand while modules are in transit.

I haven't had direct contact via phone or email with Blacet but I've also never had a reason to. I read the docs - build the module - then wiggle said module.

:lick:

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:40 am

He's old school mail order. You pay, you wait, you get. People are so spoiled with online commerce today and so many people just expect everyone to act like amazon.com or something. Always been quick with responses to technical questions for me.

I just got a rak-2 in the mail last night (awesome btw) and the next day after my order he refunded the excess of the shipping charge and sent it out. No tracking number but i figured if he was refunding some of my shipping cost then it had to be out.

But i'm sure there can be anomalies. Most people love analogue haven but both of my orders were delayed a long time before shipping and a long time to reply to emails. It was very early in my eurorack days. After that i decided to just use BST.

alesauskas
Common Wiggler

Post by alesauskas » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:49 am

+1 for Mr. Blacet, always answered my questions, no problems with orders, and he makes great modules!

Samuron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Samuron » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:03 am

noobyscooby wrote:He's old school mail order. You pay, you wait, you get.
That really sums it up.

I ordered a mult and some cords right after I posted in this thread Thursday, and they arrived yesterday.
A modular synthesizer is not a musical instrument; it is a spiritual ham radio.

Eurorack is the sprinkles on the 5U donut.

My Current Modular

Days since I ordered a Club Of The Knobs C964

Moog$FooL$
Broke Dick Dog

Post by Moog$FooL$ » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:14 pm

oh yeah, he's got patch kits on sale for anyone looking to diy a little.

:cloud: :blacet: :nod: :hug:

vmgas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by vmgas » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Babaluma wrote:
:fu:

this would seemingly be a case of pot/kettle/black, if john was indeed a pot, kettle, or dick, but he's none of those things, so that just leaves you.

:fap:

i placed probably close to 30 or 40 separate orders with john blacet over the years from 2002 to 2011, and never once had a bad experience. shipping (to JAPAN ffs!!!) was always ridiculously fast, and he packs stuff incredibly well. i've never had better service. he's helped me out on numerous occasions, sent me free replacement parts if something went wrong WAY after the warranty had run out, and just been a genuinely good soul all around. in fact, in 15 years of being into modulars, i think yours is the first negative experience i have ever read.

:despair:
so i am a dick for being treated rudely over simple questions about purchasing a module or a simple question about the best way to add a switch to my psu? when i was without the internet i made one phone call to inquire about the time frame for an order i placed 2 weeks prior..instead of a simple answer i was given this bullshit attitude for calling. sorry then dont put a fucking phone number on your site. or a friend inquiring about a face plate to replace on a module and john telling him no but to buy another full module instead..or my roommate not having the instructions anymore for his micro lfo asking for a new manual(which could have been a simple email of a pdf) and john telling him yes but that the manual would be $20..a manual that is a photocopy of about 4 pages.
so i will not go fuck myself and no i was not a dick.
i'm sorry if it upsets you that i was treated rudely multiple times by somebody you had a nice experience with.

if it makes you feel better i have had very good experiences with paia, 4ms, and control.

fracazoid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fracazoid » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:28 pm

I have nothing but good things to say about Blacet Research. I wish the panel designs reflected the high quality of the product, but it's a small price to pay for having such terrific modules at such reasonable prices.

Return to “Fractional Rack Modules”