MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack for glitch/noise
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Eurorack for glitch/noise
carlfunken
Hi, I want to build a system for make glitch/noise...something like Ikeda, Autechre, Raster Noton..

I think to start with a couple of TipTop z3000...could someone give me some advice??

Thanks
burnn_out!
Harvestman modules, maybe the make noise dpo, random modules( noisering, wogglebug, Turing machine), maybe the phonogene as well to me would be the places I'd start for those sounds...
tommaso
doepfer 189-1? twisted
boramx
this is a toughie for a newb, but the cyclebox will serve you well.

its a bottomless pit of great noises.

RTFM, though.
Mefistophelees
WMD Geiger counter
A PLL module (Synchrodyne, A-196)

Also, check out the Black Death Plague noise synth.

I've been doing a little experimenting with one of these and a Phonogene.
oscillateur
Stuff from people like Ikeda or many of the artists on Raster Noton are often more based on sequencing/rhythm than sounds themselves. I mean, the sounds are obviously important but most of the time they're carefully chosen "simple enough" sounds and the emphasis is on the way they are triggered in time and in relation to each other.

I'd say that a combination of modules that can act as trigger sequencers + some nicely controllable envelopes would be a good start.
suboptimal
Tyme Sefari mk2 with the new Sound of Thunder. <--God module.

A couple Plague Bearers.

Geiger Counter.

Wogglebug.

The Trigger Riot might actually fit well into this concept. The (vaporware) Pulse Tornado might be awesome for triggers as well.

Don't forget that you'll still need an envelope or two and a couple VCAs.
bouzoukijoe1
+1 Geiger Counter
+1 Phonogene
noise modules like the Noisering, etc.

many many modules in euro - nearly all, if you learn how to use them the right way. for example, a lot of classic Ikeda is just about using noise and sine to great effect, controlling atonality, super high and super low frequency contrast (a lot of it can be done by almost any system/synth).

E340 - chaos, smooth sine waves for ultra low frequency sub-bass hum
Rubicon - beautiful sine, FM inharmonic sounds
Plague Bearer - use carefully
Piston Honda
E350

many others
Pighood
4MS Noise Swash...spitting, sputtering & spewing with no manners whatsoever.
Cat-A-Tonic
tommaso wrote:
doepfer 189-1? twisted

^ this

...and a 4MS Atoner.

Perhaps a Blacet Mini-wave too.
Mercutio
Wave table oscillo . Gws, cycle box, E350
SunSpots
I sorta had the same idea when I started 2 years ago... Soon found out the sounds I was after were more complicated. Once I narrowed them down I was unrelieved to find out I needed much schooling in rhythms (and still do)

Then I realized I needed huge amounts of effects, subtle usually, but its the small stuff that makes a sound great IMO. Then I had to learn some compression basics.

Now I'm realizing I may need to take a music course or many courses. I don't mind this at all. I find it all very interesting. Melodies and chords are important, even in abstract stuff for me.

Hmmm can o worms. Absolutely. But worth the journey. I am curious what beautiful things I can make 10 years from now with lots more practice, education, discretion, and skill.
strettara
+1 to all of that.

Just to say, your choice of two Z3000's isn't totally wrong, though. If you run them into each other's FM inputs via a couple of amplifiers, you can get some pretty raw sounds. Combine that with an optomix and you'll be surprised what you can achieve.
oscillateur
I'm surprised by most suggestions. For harsh noise yeah, but for what was mentioned in the first post (i.e. kinda clinical/at least subtle minimal electronic music) I'm not sure they're all really adequate.
hollowman
FoH IMP. thumbs up , with a doepfer a143-9, quantiser of choice, filter or two....
hollowman
FoH IMP. thumbs up , with a doepfer a143-9, quantiser of choice, filter or two....
hollowman
Works. Been there done that.
hollowman
Sorry about that.
iPad glitch waah
jnlkrt
i think what people associate with glitch/noise is very different from what ikeda and the raster noton label are doing.

first and foremost, their music is about structure. the sounds used are very focused and controlled, mostly based on white noise and sines. if you are into this type of music, a computer is the best tools you can get.

i'd even say bothering about gear is the least thing i'd do if i were trying to get behind their music and sound.
pi69y
I agree on the importance of sequencing and structure for most great glitch stuff. The careful composition contrasts with what sounds like pointless discrete sounds to make the magic.

That said, I like to play in the middle ground. Rather than one-hit sounds and careful sequencing, I kinda like to have the modular generating small loop-worthy complex sounds then sequencing and chopping those.

For that, many of the mods listed are great. I don't have a tyme sefari but intend to get one in the coming months, BST gods permitting.

I quite like noodling with:

Phonogene
    Echophon
    Dpo
    E350
    A-119
    Peg for looping eg
    Plague bearer

I don't currently have a few of the mods listed here but they are on the hit list - pll, BBD, bit crusher of some sort...

I think you're in good shape with any combo of what is in this thread. How big are you looking to go?
Pighood
^ I'm cuter...just BEHOLD my little red boots, aiiight
carlfunken
My initial idea was to have the modular as sound generator.. then sequencing and chopping in Ableton.
Of course I have in mind to use also the computer not just the modular...I use a lot max/msp, but sometimes we need the real thing..

for what I've listen.. cyclebox is a good start point, also some the harvestman, mod demix...

a bit crusher..what about the doepfer? is it good sounding?
artisokka
strettara wrote:
Just to say, your choice of two Z3000's isn't totally wrong, though. If you run them into each other's FM inputs via a couple of amplifiers, you can get some pretty raw sounds.

Totally! Here´s an example:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/artisokka/z3000-fm-demo[/s]
fac
Another vote for the WMD Geiger Counter. You'll have fun driving it with one Z3000 and modulating it with the other.

And something like a Maths or a couple of Envelators or Serge VCS and some VCAs to make those sounds short and glitchy.
Pdm1138
I'm into that type of music too (autechre, raster noton, etc.) and I've found that it's difficult to get subtle sounds from my rig. Most oscillators or noise generators that I've used will blow your ears off.

One thing I've had some success with it using a radio (esp. a shortwave radio) as a sound generator and run it through something like the korgasmatron. Then you get shifting frequencies, rhythmic modulations and "micro" sounds.

Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3