MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rebel Technology: Stoicheia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Rebel Technology: Stoicheia
burnn_out!
Man small footnote, deep as Fuck, and looks super fun to play. Good work!! Very tempted.. love
Socrates
got this few days ago, gotta say that it sounds and looks absolutely stunning. perfect for the space-conscious users, with a lot of depth indeed and a solid story behind it..looking at the rebel technology website there's another 2 modules coming, really curious to hear them as well..!
causticlogic
I'm interested in this as well... The concept has definitely got me intrigued.
Looks like a nice first step into the modular realm for Rebel Tech. It makes me curious about what else they are working on.
bouzoukijoe1
Arcade Sinusoid wrote:
Looks like a solid module from the AH page! Nice work! Def gonna grab one.

speaking of build, I'm just starting to notice the details now. the vertical spacing of the knobs are TIGHT! love the all-white look and knob selection though. jacks look nice also (similar to Harvestman jacks?). also would be great if they shipped with washers. and I hope the panel metal isn't soft and too easily rashed/dented unlike some other manufacturers...
(hides)
Arcade Sinusoid
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
Arcade Sinusoid wrote:
Looks like a solid module from the AH page! Nice work! Def gonna grab one.

speaking of build, I'm just starting to notice the details now. the vertical spacing of the knobs are TIGHT! love the all-white look and knob selection though. jacks look nice also (similar to Harvestman jacks?). also would be great if they shipped with washers. and I hope the panel metal isn't soft and too easily rashed/dented unlike some other manufacturers...
(hides)

Yeah a nicely spaced layout and definetely digging those knobs! Module build is a big factor for me. But it is the wild west! lol Would love to see ALL manufacturers bolt pots to panels! Please!
Ras Thavas
Compelling demo, and very nice design on the module, but I'd sure like to see voltage control over those functions in addition to just knobs.
bartleby
Ras Thavas wrote:
I'd sure like to see voltage control over those functions in addition to just knobs.

good point. is it possible to mod this module to allow that kind of vc?
clack
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
....would be great if they shipped with washers. and I hope the panel metal isn't soft and too easily rashed/dented unlike some other manufacturers...
(hides)

They are shipping with washers to protect the panels, the panels are professionally printed anodized aluminum (the graphics are screen printed on during the anodizing process ) so they are pretty durable although I cannot vouch for it as I haven't got my hands on my own one yet!

bartleby wrote:
Ras Thavas wrote:
I'd sure like to see voltage control over those functions in addition to just knobs.

good point. is it possible to mod this module to allow that kind of vc?

Although not implemented, as (when designing) it is too easy to over complicate a module, it is very easy to mod yourself with a handful of components and a blank panel. You can simply solder jacks to the center point of each potentiometer with schottky or zener diodes to protect over voltage on the IC (it is 5v max.) if you want more range then 5v a couple of resistors as a voltage divider will give you more range.
Ras Thavas
How about a nice Rebel Tech designed expander, with matching graphics, that allowable range switchable VC action? I'll bet most who order the module would order the expander at the same time.
bartleby
clack wrote:
it is very easy to mod yourself with a handful of components and a blank panel.

excellent!
bouzoukijoe1
that's great to hear. I am truly appreciating all the effort different companies are putting in now to make their products feel more solid and be more durable. I noticed a lot of the new Doepfer module knobs are now firmly mounted to the faceplates (except their MIDI module which still uses some kind of glue lol). knob props go to Bubblesound, SynthTech, Pittsburgh, Livewire. ironically, the only other company I know who includes washers is FoH. but I did notice that it shares a similar grade of metal for the faceplate that dents easily if you screw in too hard, even with washers. soft aluminum I guess. never have that problem with Doepfer, Bubblesound, Pittsburgh, Livewire.

build quality aside, I wonder if the new wave of Euclidean modules will start to demand more accuracy from other modules that have to interact with it because they have to divide evenly at any given clock speed? ESPECIALLY as you modulate. does anyone know if there are any known digital issues and if any particular "slow" chips will have any bearing on this, as far as keeping up with triggers accurately? especially sequencing equipment! for example, which existing modules would one most likely use the Stoicheia with? clock dividers, multipliers, switches, other sequencers? if there are any concerns (and only if), it would be great if the community could develop a list of modules that are known to work really well with the Stoicheia (no dissing other modules though). but I may be jumping the gun. hihi really excited about this module, as a heavy user of other sequencing/rhythm modules like RCD, SCM, PEG, Modulation Orgy, uStep, Pressure Points.

add:
re-reading the Euclidean rhythm stuff and documentation and I'm assuming there isn't voltage control of the step (division) and fill parameters, only the trigger/clock in, so I guess that's two less sync variables to worry about? Mr. Green (until it's time for the expander)
HeWhoWantsJeans
Build Quality Response / Rant Time:
bouzoukijoe1 wrote:
I noticed a lot of the new Doepfer module knobs are now firmly mounted to the faceplates (except their MIDI module which still uses some kind of glue lol).

Ugh - I know. Every time I unplug or plug-in to the MIDI jacks on my A-190-MCV I hate watching the female jack jiggle a bit. I should probably see if there is a feasible way to drill through the faceplate, through the MIDI jack and just nut and bolt it right to the panel.

bouzoukijoe1 wrote:

the only other company I know who includes washers is FoH. but I did notice that it shares a similar grade of metal for the faceplate that dents easily if you screw in too hard, even with washers. soft aluminum I guess.

Damn son - are you screwing in your modules with a power-tool? Maybe a pneumatic driver? I've got nearly a whole line of f(h) modules and none of them, even without washers, have any 'denting'.

Seriously - what length of a screw are you using? I'm curious because if it's too short - I'd recommend extending to the next possible size up to relieve some of the stress on the faceplates.
bouzoukijoe1
nah son, I used to think that people who dented their modules were crazy too until I started noticing that it was actually doing more than rashing on some of my modules after I moved it about 4 times or so. there are a couple of manufacturers who use a softer grade of metal and it doesn't happen on Doepfer, Bubblesound, Pittsburgh, Livewire, 4ms, Make Noise, SSL, Harvestman. ever since then I've tried to screw in like a little fairy. I use offical Monorocket screws on the sliding rails of the Monorocket case so I know it's not the screw length. I just tighten it enough to make sure that jiggling around while travelling doesn't cause problems, with enough torque as on typical gear 19" gear I've owned through the years. I just like a nice manly torque I guess. haha. but you really just have to screw like a little fairy with a couple of these brands. I'm no metallurgist but I'm almost sure it's soft aluminum.
bartleby
clack wrote:
it is very easy to mod yourself with a handful of components and a blank panel. You can simply solder jacks to the center point of each potentiometer with schottky or zener diodes to protect over voltage on the IC (it is 5v max.)

just thinking: would it also be possible to mod it in such a way that when there is something plugged into one of the cv-in sockets on the diy expander, the external cv completely replaces the internal cv and the module's pots serve as attenuators for the external cv?
clack
bartleby wrote:
clack wrote:
it is very easy to mod yourself with a handful of components and a blank panel. You can simply solder jacks to the center point of each potentiometer with schottky or zener diodes to protect over voltage on the IC (it is 5v max.)

just thinking: would it also be possible to mod it in such a way that when there is something plugged into one of the cv-in sockets on the diy expander, the external cv completely replaces the internal cv and the module's pots serve as attenuators for the external cv?

Yep although, you will have to lift one leg (cut it or pull it out) on the potentiometer, wire that to a switched output of a jack and attach the switched end to +5 so a bit more work and a bit of a kludge. Also note that it wont see -ve voltages, of course I can provide info on all this later (including how to allow -ve voltages) on the website when I have one of the modules!

-Ben
bartleby
clack wrote:
you will have to lift one leg (cut it or pull it out) on the potentiometer, wire that to a switched output of a jack and attach the switched end to +5

that's how i thought it might work - good to have it confirmed by someone more competent. smile
clack wrote:
I can provide info on all this later (including how to allow -ve voltages) on the website when I have one of the modules!

cool, thanks!
Liddlepud
I just picked one of these up from their workshop. Really nice guys and there's going to be an expander providing CV control. They also had the prototype of their next module which'll be a clock divider which looks interesting.

The only down side is that I won't be able to put it in the rack and have a play until Saturday waah
a100user
Any idea when the next batch will become available?
bartleby
Liddlepud wrote:
there's going to be an expander providing CV control.

that's excellent news! so they are adding a breakout connector to the main module's pcb for a no-solder expander?
will the zener/schottky protection against negative or high voltages be part of the main pcb or of the expander? i suppose it would make more sense to incorporate it into the main module...

as for my earlier question about how a cv expansion might be implemented:
bartleby wrote:
clack wrote:

i think i've changed my mind about how useful it would be to use the module's pots as attenuators for external cv. i think clack's original suggestion is actually better, because that way you can still use the pots to set the unmodulated value and then just add external cv to that. of course then you still need a way of attenuating your external cv, but you can use a uatt or a183-1/2 for that...
Liddlepud
a100user wrote:
Any idea when the next batch will become available?

When I eagerly handed over the grubby soiled notes they said that now they'd be able to make some more modules. Your best bet is to send them an email via their website.

bartleby wrote:
so they are adding a breakout connector to the main module's pcb for a no-solder expander?

I got in late last night so didn't have time to fully inspect the module but I'm sure there were pins on the back of the PCB for additional connections other than power.
mars
We are working hard here at Rebel HQ this weekend to fill orders from distributors. With any luck your local outlet will be stocked next week!

The next module Logos is progressing nicely:
it's a dual function VC clock divider and delay, with a combined output that lets you do swing and shuffle rhythms. Yeah, voltage controlled swing!

As for V controlling Stoicheia, we still haven't decided whether to make an expander or a stand-alone VC module. But we're working on it.

Many thanks for the kind words and interest, y'all rock.
logicgate
Yesterday I was ready to buy it, but for my disappointment I discovered they were sold out!!! woah

Guess I´m gonna have to suffer a bit more and wait heh...
kuxaan-sum
mars wrote:
We are working hard here at Rebel HQ this weekend to fill orders from distributors. With any luck your local outlet will be stocked next week!

The next module Logos is progressing nicely:
it's a dual function VC clock divider and delay, with a combined output that lets you do swing and shuffle rhythms. Yeah, voltage controlled swing!

It's motherfucking bacon yo
Socrates
can't wait...!
Liddlepud
Used this module a lot this afternoon during a jam with fellow wigglers Pipwillams and Sixteen. It's brilliant for adding variation to live percussive sequences and we also had it controlling the X&Y inputs of 2 different Renes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 3 of 8