MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Rebel Technology: Stoicheia
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Rebel Technology: Stoicheia
mig27
+2!
miraclehex
I've been playing around with the Stoicheia for a week or so, and it's awesome!

I do have a question though: what's up with the knob increments/markings?

As far as I understand it, from the online documentation, they all have 32 increments (16 + 16), but there are only 24 "marks" on the dial (6 "big" increments either side, divided in half with "small" marks) which makes it sort of inaccurate to use.

The top knob, RESET POINT, I think is 1 at 12 o'clock, -16 at CCW, and +16 at CW (although maybe this is actually -8 to +8, now that I think about it...)

The middle knob, LENGTH, goes from 8 steps at 12 o'clock, to 1 at CCW, to 16 at CW (starting at 0 would be more symmetrical, but I don't think you can have no outputs at all in a sequence. Maybe that's wrong, I should be writing this with it in front of me!)

and same with the bottom knob, FILLS.

Since these are all "digital" controls (there are no "half" beats), I find myself just using it as a rough probability guide, rather than being able precisely dial anything in... which suits my lazy style of music-making/lack of musical training or skill.

I think the faceplate is symmetrical, so I might flip it and put my own markings on the back, if I can find out what the values actually are.

Don't get me wrong, I love this thing: but I think PEG-style knobs & markings would've made it extra awesome
SunSpots
I really want 2 of these... one will do. they are in stock at AH smile think of the possibilities!
miraclehex
When I wrote "PEG-style", I meant like on the "Ping Div/Mult" knob = this would translate perfectly!

http://www.4mspedals.com/peg/promophotos/PEG-front.jpg
jimmy_p
Totally agree on the knob markings. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the pots for ones that click into set positions instead of freely rotating?
It would be nice to be able to dial in an exact pattern when you know what you want
Paranormal Patroler
jimmy_p wrote:
Totally agree on the knob markings. I wonder if it would be possible to replace the pots for ones that click into set positions instead of freely rotating?
It would be nice to be able to dial in an exact pattern when you know what you want

Possibly, but where is the playability in that? ~click click click~
SunSpots
ordered non-cv version. I can see the value in having a non cv version. if all goes well I'll get the cv version when it comes out. SlayerBadger!
???
Oups!
Junk Rhythm
SunSpots wrote:
ordered non-cv version. I can see the value in having a non cv version. if all goes well I'll get the cv version when it comes out. SlayerBadger!

I with you on that. I finally burned the firmware for three of them and finished building them. Plugged them into some of the TTA 808 drum modules. Instant techno grooves. Lot's of fun just spinning the knobs and just jamming with them. CV would be awesome but these modules are really fun just performing with them.
???
Ok I don't understand how clock inputs are processed. First, I just noticed that if one channel receive a clock, the other "unused" channel actually output the clock. Yeah I don't get how clock inputs are integrated. They are obviously not independent. Both channels seem to respond to both clock and adding a more random clock on a channel just brings some groove to the overall pattern while still keeping a steady timed or sync output on a channel and a random but sometime on beat on the other channel. Whoa... I am right?

Or is it more simple. Both clock inputs are integrated and both channels respond to the "merged" clocks? Otherwise, can someone explain that for me?
negativspace
I think the second clock jack is supposed to be a pass-through rather than an additional input - meaning you can take your clock pulse from there to other modules. Free mult. thumbs up

Please correct me if I'm missing something!
lloydcole
negativspace wrote:
I think the second clock jack is supposed to be a pass-through rather than an additional input - meaning you can take your clock pulse from there to other modules. Free mult. thumbs up

This is correct. If not exactly self explanatory...
Junk Rhythm
lloydcole wrote:
negativspace wrote:

This is correct. If not exactly self explanatory...

I'll confirm that as well. Outside jack on the left (Channel 1) is clock in. Outside jack on the right (Channel 2) is clock out/through. The module uses one clock to control both channels.
meatbeatz
I can also confirm the above. That's why I ended up buying 2 so I could run at different clock rates. Super fun and funky. 8_)
Paranormal Patroler
Junk Rhythm wrote:
I'll confirm that as well. Outside jack on the left (Channel 1) is clock in. Outside jack on the right (Channel 2) is clock out/through. The module uses one clock to control both channels.

Any of those channels can work as an input and you can use the other one as a mult. It only receives on clock input and earlier in this thread the manufacturers said it is unwise to input two clocks. I do find the mult to be most useful and the module self explanatory and totally worth it.
Steffe
I use the Stoicheia in almost all of my patches. It's always there adding rhythmic pulses and accents.
jnlkrt
can anyone give me a detailed descriptive panel rundown? the knobs are explained well on the website, but the jacks?
???
It would be better if they could run at different rates. It's fun anyway and a great module. What does "unwise" means? Can I damage the modules by sending the stoicheia 2 clock inputs?
Paranormal Patroler
??? wrote:
It would be better if they could run at different rates. It's fun anyway and a great module. What does "unwise" means? Can I damage the modules by sending the stoicheia 2 clock inputs?

I do think so. I'm certain there was a post from the designers either earlier on this thread or some other Stoicheia related one that cautioned against such practices. I was the one being cautioned so that's why I recall; don't take my word for it though, search.
negativspace
No, the issue with plugging in 2 clocks is that the jacks are most likely passively multed - which means in doing so you're shorting the two outputs of the clock modules together. That can cause problems if said clock modules are not protected. (Most are; but it's good practice not to connect outs to outs.)
Paranormal Patroler
negativspace wrote:
No, the issue with plugging in 2 clocks is that the jacks are most likely passively multed - which means in doing so you're shorting the two outputs of the clock modules together. That can cause problems if said clock modules are not protected. (Most are; but it's good practice not to connect outs to outs.)

Well the opinions have been divided on this specific issue, not that I'm saying you're wrong or anything. You're more of an expert than I'll ever be, but I have to point out that I've run into many threads with contradictory statements filled with electronic circuitry facts regarding the use of mults as mixers. Recently the tide seems to be turning into the "not much of an issue" side.

In any case, I have used both the inputs with different clocks with no problems once but having been warned by the manufacturers to not do it I have since stopped. Plug your sockets responsibly kids.
negativspace
It generally isn't much of an issue, but there was a thread here recently where someone made the magic smoke by plugging an out to an out... (A 5U forum post maybe? Within the last few weeks.)

Point is it does happen, at least slightly more often than never. It's a good habit not to mix with mults unless you know what you're doing.
???
Well it turns out feeding 2 clock to the stoicheia produced really interesting rythmic patterns. I'll stop doing this however, and I was lucky not to damage the module. I'm guilty of not reading this entire tread, but this should be more explicitly mentioned somewhere on their site, just in case.
Paranormal Patroler
??? wrote:
Well it turns out feeding 2 clock to the stoicheia produced really interesting rythmic patterns. I'll stop doing this however, and I was lucky not to damage the module. I'm guilty of not reading this entire tread, but this should be more explicitly mentioned somewhere on their site, just in case.

Can't find the damn post. very frustrating

EDIT

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67287&start=all&post days=0&postorder=asc

scroll down to the big schematic by clack
???
I can't read schematics, but I guess I'm lucky not to have fried mine. Thanks for the info. It's strange that it works so well with 2 clock inputs and that, even if people think the module is self explanatory, there is not much info about it's functions (at least for the inputs). Both clock input have an arrow that point to towards the middle LED which respond to clock so I thought there were just "integrated/merged".
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 6 of 8