MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FENIX XL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Author FENIX XL
qstate
Out of curiosity, what does a Fenix II run used?
pelican
Just depends. The last one that sold on ebay went for 9 grand.
thetwlo
pelican wrote:

you can check that on ebay. easy. no, can't find that.
$6,700 is the highest I found? you have some citation? or just trying to sell your own?
sunnypedaal
maybe for the 2 and 3 together ?
i think a 2 might be doing 4500euro's , if you find one, the sequencer ( fenix3 ) is more difficult even to find as there are less made ( 25 or so )
pelican
thetwlo wrote:
pelican wrote:

you can check that on ebay. easy. no, can't find that.
$6,700 is the highest I found? you have some citation? or just trying to sell your own?

It was a month or two ago, auction was listed on matrixsynth
Sorry not 9grand 8891+ 200 euro shipping
Item number 261422372427
qstate
Thanks for the data pelican, thetwlo, and sunnypedaal.

Any opinions on functional density for $7-8K compared to a similar price used Serge or Buchla system? Like 2 Panels/M-boats of Serge or 6-8 200e modules?
skkatter
sunnypedaal wrote:
maybe for the 2 and 3 together ?
i think a 2 might be doing 4500euro's , if you find one, the sequencer ( fenix3 ) is more difficult even to find as there are less made ( 25 or so )

I asked Bert and he said he made 75 of the Fenix II and 25 of the Fenix III as that's how many enclosures he had in total.
wavecircle
qstate wrote:

Any opinions on functional density for $7-8K compared to a similar price used Serge or Buchla system? Like 2 Panels/M-boats of Serge or 6-8 200e modules?

I don't think the Fenix is necessarily "functionally dense". It does have a lot of functions but it is physically a much bigger system then a buchla or serge, all the sections do their own job in the same way an east coast system is laid out. Banana patching certainly improves the way you think about approaching it though.

I think I worked it out at the time that you would need about 4-5 serge panels to "match" or get close to the functionality of the Fenix II/III. I sold mine because all the things I liked about the Fenix were the parts which reminded me of the Serge. They are big things too at 11U each. I would personally be happier with 3 panels of Serge as I don't really need all those filters and sequencers.
Reese P. Dubin
Most powerful synth that will probably ever be built behind one faceplate. Really not that large either.
wavecircle
I should probably clarify, If you are comparing the Fenix II/III to 6/8 modules of Buchla or 2 shop panels of Serge, the Fenix will blow it out of the water in terms of available functions. Just when I think of functional density I think of functions per area. The Fenix really is an excellent system and a great deal but 24U of Buchla or STS Serge will be far more functionally dense than the Fenix combo but then we are heading into $25000+ territory.
jenamu6
Still loving mine.....but lately I've been thinking about selling the sequencer. to buy a cirklon.
I love the sequencer, but for production it's just not convenient.
....difficult.

Any sequencer users here that want to share thoughts?
Vootman
I vant von.
skkatter
jenamu6 wrote:
Still loving mine.....but lately I've been thinking about selling the sequencer. to buy a cirklon.
I love the sequencer, but for production it's just not convenient.
....difficult.

I own the Fenix II and III and also a Cirklon. I still use the Fenix sequencer a lot, mostly to send sequences to some filter CV ins of the Fenix II, but also to sequencer Serge stuff as I've got four panels of that.

The Cirklon is perfect as the master brains behind the tracks I'm working on, but for quick hands on simple sequences the Fenix III is better as it's more physical and hands on.

But then again I'm a bit of a step sequencer fiend, I've also got a Sam-16 that I use constantly.
schmuck
Plus you can do stuff with the fenix III that is just not possible or very cumbersome with the cirklon. Apply CV to the clock in and length, for example. Hands on.

So I agree they are very different it just starts with the fenix III not having "note values" to enter. Both have their places, the fenix is far more inviting to me for experimenting weird stuff. If I want to explore scales or add melodies to existing compositions, the cirklon might be easier...or if I am in a "programming" mood.
Morley
qstate wrote:

The Fenix is PACKED. I had an old Serge 6 panel system and Buchla 200 whilst I had my Fenix I and then Fenix II/III.
Honestly, they are all just very different. I sold my Buchla and Serge and would probably consider another Serge system. Buchla, I am a big fan of the older style and a small "analog" system would give me the goodness. Not interested in a big 200E.
The Fenix is a great centerpiece to any electronic setup though. Add others for flavour.
I have a VCS3, 2600 and a 100m as well and they all compliment each other whilst sounding different, but the Fenix II/III is certainly a complete synthesis package that could be your sole instrument.
MindMachine
Morley wrote:
qstate wrote:

The Fenix is PACKED. I had an old Serge 6 panel system and Buchla 200 whilst I had my Fenix I and then Fenix II/III.
Honestly, they are all just very different. I sold my Buchla and Serge and would probably consider another Serge system. Buchla, I am a big fan of the older style and a small "analog" system would give me the goodness. Not interested in a big 200E.
The Fenix is a great centerpiece to any electronic setup though. Add others for flavour.
I have a VCS3, 2600 and a 100m as well and they all compliment each other whilst sounding different, but the Fenix II/III is certainly a complete synthesis package that could be your sole instrument.

Hey Morley - what about your Polyfusion? Did that go to make way for the Syntons?
Morley
MindMachine wrote:

Hey Morley - what about your Polyfusion? Did that go to make way for the Syntons?

Sold it to help pay for my house. Kicking myself a little over that one :-(

Problem is that I never bought any of this stuff for collector prices and basically just used them to work with. My income from music vs the inflated value of some synths meant I had to sell. Alas.

Would still love more modulars but just can't afford them if I'm honest.
pelican
Any more news on fenix 4?
vav
pelican wrote:
Any more news on fenix 4?

The whaaaaaaaat?
cat6batch
I sold my Fenix II & III last year sometime for anyone keeping track, they stayed in Australia which made me happy smile
cat6batch
Posted one last video of the units in my possession

http://youtu.be/j2ccqggTKX4
faneflip
Heavy Metal Kid wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good Youtube demos of the Fenix synths? The first ones I found there were quite horrible.

Some of my videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MOaF6_VEfg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXResryKryc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcR-AG_4hf0
cat6batch
My two videos up at the moment, sorry about the second potato cam one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LIHwPS8FDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ccqggTKX4
qu.one
one sold on ebay recently for $8500... eek!
Nelson Baboon
qu.one wrote:
one sold on ebay recently for $8500... eek!

you mean the 2+3, or just the 2 (or 3)?

damn - I love mine, but if the prices get high enough....I mean I'd sell my 2+3 for $25,000. Anyone interested? (just joking).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Page 36 of 38