MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

FENIX XL
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Author FENIX XL
xart
applause

Bert Vermeulen <bl.vermeulen@XXX.com> Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:32
Cc: fenix.modulair
Hi,

Here is a short update about the fenix XL.

I am working now at some prototypes of the Fenix GT. This is the
sequencer (XL1) and the synth (XL2) in one case.
In March I hope that I could finish these prototypes end of May but I
was too optimistic. The front panels has been arrived this week but
the screen-print of the front is not ok. Assembling and testing the 54
pcb will take also more time. I have in May also other obligations so
I could not spend enough time at the prototype.
The result is that making a decision to start a production will be
delayed. I want first build the prototypes and the unit must be test
by a number of people and rate the different modules, find issues and
improvements. Also I must investigate production capacity and parts
availability.

At http://dutchsynth.nl/FenixXL_QA.html I will post the answers of
the questions I got. The answers will be updated when needed

At http://dutchsynth.nl/FenixXL.html you can see the front panel,

If you have any questions, please mail me.

I will give you an update next month.

Bert

Rawk!
SynthBaron
eek!
citizen mori
O_O

my synton fenix is my dirtiest non buchla secret.
Reese P. Dubin
Its no secret at all that I adore my Fenix.

While it is a total cult item, it is completely underrated.

Bring em on.
oeps seems the synth and seq will be on one panel now
mono-poly
That is just the panel for the 3 test systems.
I think the actual ones might be different.
Now they are about 1mtr in size.
science
Very cool. This is the first I had heard of the new Fenix.
Reptil
very exciting!
sascha.victoria
Synton Syrinx is the synth I've wanted most for quite some time. Too bad they're so damn rare!
Bricks
Admittedly I haven't done much homework on the Synton cult stuff other than a little reading. Anyone have any links to good sound clips? There are those weird vids on youtube...
Reptil
Bricks wrote:
Admittedly I haven't done much homework on the Synton cult stuff other than a little reading. Anyone have any links to good sound clips? There are those weird vids on youtube...

+1 on more examples. (some handson tweaking of different functions might be handy, with good sound quality, for those not in the know (me))
mono-poly wrote:
That is just the panel for the 3 test systems.
I think the actual ones might be different.
Now they are about 1mtr in size.

ah,ok
Reptil
since the sequencer (looks good!) is banana it would be smart to get a banana synth to go with it, right? It would be my first step into bananaland
I'd say to Bert: Don't hold back please, include any freaky circuit that you can. (and I understand from users, you got a acouple in your pocket.
very exciting!
hihi It's peanut butter jelly time!
ix
love to know where the fenix stuff sits in serge / buchla / moog / roland / toneworld.....you know , why is it regarded so highly ? filter ? weirdness ?how does it sound ?

Reptil wrote:
since the sequencer (looks good!) is banana it would be smart to get a banana synth to go with it, right? It would be my first step into bananaland
I'd say to Bert: Don't hold back please, include any freaky circuit that you can. (and I understand from users, you got a acouple in your pocket.
very exciting!
hihi It's peanut butter jelly time!
mono-poly
I guess you can compare it best with modcan.
chrisso
ix wrote:
love to know where the fenix stuff sits in serge / buchla / moog / roland / toneworld.....you know , why is it regarded so highly ? filter ? weirdness ?how does it sound ?

The thing I can say is the Fenix does a ton of interesting things, and it sounds nice.
As for being so highly regarded that prices for used ones are way up there..... I think rarity and cult status are the major reason.
Yes, the Fenix is sort of Modcan-ish.
The filters sound different and they are good. You get three and they give you varied features. Same with the three oscillators.
The Fenix is packed with sounds..... all good.
It isn't weird like Serge or Buchla. I would put it on the same level as Modcan for build quality and sound.
If I did a soundfile demo for you, you'd say it was a great sounding synth, but also realise it isn't so different from other similar synths.
It was a bit of a bargain at the original asking price, but a bit over priced now..... well for the money I've heard them selling for lately.
Reptil
thanks!
ok... hmmm hmmm..... modcan eh?
less weird than Serge?
hmmmmmmm
mono-poly
The Fenix stuff is not designed with an west coast filisophy like most modcan stuff isn't.
If you want cool westcoast stuff get Wiard, Serge, Buchla.
All other stuff is more designed for substractive synthesis.
Reptil
mmmmm hmmm.....

ok, we'll see.... still 2 and something months to decide w00t
mono-poly
There might be a little change i can review it.
Reptil
yes please!
nanners Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time!
mono-poly
http://www.dutchsynth.nl/FenixXL.html

Pics off 2 off the 3 prototypes witch are gonna get build.
And witch will be used for testing.

Last Sunday i've seen the "missing knob" proto sequencer in real life.
It's an amazing thing and i am trying to get some stuff added by Bert.
wetterberg
those are the most insane systems around. Please do a bunch of videos/audio when/if you get close to them.
Reese P. Dubin
Oh fuck me.

Feeling Ill, must have both.

I like the look of the patchbay on the original much better, however it would never work with SO many more jacks on the new model.

Keep us updated please, Marc and Bert have been pretty quiet and I dont wanna bug them, and take time away from getting these done for me to buy.
mono-poly
wetterberg wrote:
those are the most insane systems around. Please do a bunch of videos/audio when/if you get close to them.

Will do.

Reese P. Dubin wrote:
Oh fuck me.

Feeling Ill, must have both.

I like the look of the patchbay on the original much better, however it would never work with SO many more jacks on the new model.

Keep us updated please, Marc and Bert have been pretty quiet and I dont wanna bug them, and take time away from getting these done for me to buy.

On the new ones the knobs feel really better.
This one will be done by Bert only i think.

And remember the 3 test systems will be sequencer and synth in one.

After that probbaly the synth and sequencer gonna be build as a single device and might differ from the 3 prototypes.

That's what i know and can tell so far.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Page 1 of 38