2 panel serge as aircraft carryon?

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

fowl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by fowl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 pm

richard wrote:i have a couple of the pottertons but I haven't plucked up the courage to make a frame and drill some holes to mount the pabnels yet

they only just fit on easyjet actually. The way they are made makes them a fraction too big - might need to gentle take a hammer to the metal part to encourage it to be a bit smaller
Ahh cool, would you be able to show me an image of how the Serge panels fit in the P20? (or did you get a custom)
What are your feelings about the build qualit in comparison to a trad wooden or plastic flight case?

Is there rails already fitted (are they strong enough) or would I need to buy some sliding nut rack mounting to attach them into the suitcase?

THANK YOU!

rastko
Wiggling with Experience

Post by rastko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:28 pm

goiks wrote:rastko - i'm curious, have you had any trouble carrying that on? most airlines requirements are 9"x14"x22", seems like you may be a little over on the 14" dimension.
Hi,

The size iz ok for european airlines .
I think I was looking at Lufthansa site when I was checking the size, itmis actaully a bitt smaller then the required size.
I did go like 5-6 trips with it and never had problems.

The problem is or could be the weight as it is 12 kg and the limit is 8 kg. This is where easyjet is good as there is no weight llimit.

Good night world

R

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

I've been traveling in europe and u.s. with this suitcase

pros:
-looks like a normal suitcase, fits perfectly and never had trouble
-cables can stay when closed
-i can have it on my lap and play it without table
-case has flat sides, like a make noise skiff, it feels fine having my wrists on the side an push gates while it's lying flat.
-tiptop uzeus psu is inside
-case was 5 euros second hand

cons:
-a module broke during travel (twice in over 30 shows) & it's very hard to open and see/fix the pcb's - this is also due to my lack of electronic and building skills.
-it's too small, i still need effects pedals (the black strips are velcro for pedals)
-it gets a bit heavy sometimes

I'm looking for a new hand luggage sized flightcase with the equivalent of 4 panels and a bit of extra in the bottom and the cover.
Any help & tips are welcome for the following:

-is it smart to have wheels underneath or will the shocks break modules?
-how to keep the flat sides? maybe a middle compartment between the cover and bottom? anyone seen this in a flightcase?
-lying flat or standing up should be possible for both bottom & cover.
[/img]

opsysbug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by opsysbug » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Floris!! :hyper: did not know you were on the forum. You don't really know me but we talked for a short time after you played some warehouse in
Brooklyn a while back. Anazing show! Been looking for a picture of that beautiful synth that you made for a long time as mine came out all blurry. There she is!
Nice. And welcome around here... :tu:

By the way anyone: Custom ABS cases in USA? Who makes 'em?

JamieDrouin
Common Wiggler

Post by JamieDrouin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Regardless of what the 'official' posted dimensions are for the airlines, I can tell you from recent experience that the largest case that will fit in carry-on, on the widest range of planes, is no larger than 18 x 14.5 x 7.5". Unless you plan on convincing the plane staff to put it in their personal storage every time, you're in for a shock.

weerzin
Common Wiggler

Post by weerzin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:31 am

JamieDrouin wrote:Regardless of what the 'official' posted dimensions are for the airlines, I can tell you from recent experience that the largest case that will fit in carry-on, on the widest range of planes, is no larger than 18 x 14.5 x 7.5". Unless you plan on convincing the plane staff to put it in their personal storage every time, you're in for a shock.
hm, my experience as before is that taking a 23x53x40 cm (9x21x16 inches) serge as carry-on is fine. i've taken the system below on probably close to 100 different flights. (the four serge panels plus macbook, not the mixer obviously)

sometimes it takes a little convincing. usually saying "it's a musical instrument" is enough. for some airlines (easyjet, for example) it's within the limits of what they allow according to their guidelines. for some other airlines, it's a little bigger than what they allow strictly speaking, but 9 out of 10 cases it fits in the overhead bin. in the rare cases that my flightcase really didn't fit the overhead bin, i've had the airline staff put it in one of their storage lockers, usually by the entrance or kitchen areas on the plane. gate-checking, on propellor planes for example, is also an option. this means you carry your case all the way to the stairs of the plane, and then have it stored by hand in the baggage compartment just before you enter. at least this means you bypass all the rough handling you'd get if you checked it in normally. easyjet now allows for an instrument of this size/weight to be taken on board plus a laptop bag at no extra charge! exciting news for me personally.

Hosaka
is board

Post by Hosaka » Sat May 05, 2012 4:30 am

floris wrote:I've been traveling in europe and u.s. with this suitcase

Thank you for the awesome gig in Helsinki. It was a very important lesson for me to hear a Serge modular live :hail:
How can you call yourself a DJ if you don't even know how to babysit a bunch of kids?

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Sat May 05, 2012 5:22 am

Hosaka wrote:

Thank you for the awesome gig in Helsinki. It was a very important lesson for me to hear a Serge modular live :hail:
What!?? How did i miss that gig... Tell me more please?

Hosaka
is board

Post by Hosaka » Sun May 06, 2012 2:25 am

ModHiisi; That gig: http://mentalalaska.org/

It was pure bliss, except for the last band which kind of broke the dronerstoner mood with some blues/rock hoogieboogie :mrgreen:
How can you call yourself a DJ if you don't even know how to babysit a bunch of kids?

ModHiisi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ModHiisi » Sun May 06, 2012 3:17 am

Hosaka wrote:ModHiisi; That gig: http://mentalalaska.org/

It was pure bliss, except for the last band which kind of broke the dronerstoner mood with some blues/rock hoogieboogie :mrgreen:
Thanks Hosaka.

Damn, that venue's barely 200m from my place... And i usually check that site too...

But good to hear that it was a blast. And yeah, i think i know what you're talking about the boogie.. Hahaha!

By the way, you don't happen to be from these parts..? (A Serge Head from Hel here...)

Hosaka
is board

Post by Hosaka » Sun May 06, 2012 3:42 am

ModHiisi wrote:By the way, you don't happen to be from these parts..? (A Serge Head from Hel here...)
Yup, I am from the eastern parts of HKI. Getting a little gassy towards Serge. Too bad my financial situation is not agreeing with me so I'll have to stick with my few Euro modules for some more time. Need to get a job and/or go to study for one.

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:59 am

Opsysbug, Hosaka, great you liked my sets!
Late reply, wasn't following too much.
I'm rebuilding the case now, it'll house more actual Serge.

dmitri
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dmitri » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:45 am

pros:
-looks like a normal suitcase, fits perfectly and never had trouble
-case was 5 euros second hand
I found this photo online and it inspired me to build some into this $10- pseudo Samsonite from the thrift store. The lid is only about 2" deep. I managed to get it all in to the lid by laying all the caps down, bending the banana jack connectors down & some other tricks. It doesn't close while patched like the Floris's though so now I gotta build another synth for that :)

ImageImage

BHC303
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BHC303 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:17 am

Hey Richard,

I have been speaking to Oliver at enclave cases to get a custom flight case made.

PM me if you want any details, I actually need some details from you Serge owners, spec etc... :mrgreen:

It could be cheaper if we get it done at the same time, maybe a group buy on the forum? he has told me its defiantly cheaper than the powered 3u version :hihi:

They look sexy!

Here's Richard Devine's recent touring case

Oblisk mounted in the side 8_)
Dmmavar wrote:what do I need to get into drones
Pighood wrote:A bees nest and a small container of corn syrup.

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 pm

I talked with Enclave guy one of this days about a custom serge case too, Im interested in a group buy for sure.

Scories
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:35 pm

BHC303
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BHC303 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Setherian wrote:I talked with Enclave guy one of this days about a custom serge case too, Im interested in a group buy for sure.
Cool 8_)

We might get it cheaper with a few! I might start another thread to get some interest...

Do you know precisely the measurements of STS panels face plate mounting locations?
Dmmavar wrote:what do I need to get into drones
Pighood wrote:A bees nest and a small container of corn syrup.

stimresp
Common Wiggler

Post by stimresp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:01 am

As long as you are not flying Ryanair...

emenel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by emenel » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:46 pm

weerzin wrote: hm, my experience as before is that taking a 23x53x40 cm (9x21x16 inches) serge as carry-on is fine. i've taken the system below on probably close to 100 different flights. (the four serge panels plus macbook, not the mixer obviously)
I realize this post is very old at this point, but I'd love a little more info on your case design. I really appreciate all the info so far in this thread.

I'm currently planning a short tour around Europe and would love to bring my full 4 panel system, but haven't been able to figure out how to fit it into a case that's close enough to carry-on size.

A couple specific questions:

1) Could you share a picture of the case closed up? Do the two halves fit directly together?

2) Do you close it patched? Or re-patch for each show?

3) I see there aren't any rack ears. Are you boats wedged in tightly with the foam? Any heat issues?

Thanks again, if anyone even sees this after so long :)

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:44 am

I would suggest bringing your system to a flight case builder and see if they could fit it to carry-on size.

Larger items such as my film projector, I took on board on an extra seat on inexpensive flights.

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:17 am

Interesting info about 4-panel cases. That would be a dream. Thanks for sharing.

I notice some concerns about carrying an M-case on to flights. I have carried mine on several dozen US and European flights and never had a single issue.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:03 pm

how do you guys get headphones out from a Serge panel?

is it that mod on the XFADE?

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:33 pm

FatRocky wrote:how do you guys get headphones out from a Serge panel?

I plug in to one of the UAP outputs. There's an adapter that splits the signal to stereo so you can hear it in both headphones. Rex has the part # for that.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Mood Organ wrote:

I plug in to one of the UAP outputs. There's an adapter that splits the signal to stereo so you can hear it in both headphones. Rex has the part # for that.
Thanks for the answer ,
I have the R*S Stereo mixer, I don't know how different it is from the UAP. It 'd be great if i could get the headphones out from there. I have two XFADE s , ( one R*S and one STS ) and i read somewhere (possibly in STS info) that it can be moded to support headphones. That would be awesome because it's exactly that panel ( Animate) that i want to take on the road.

Mood Organ
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Mood Organ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:07 pm

FatRocky wrote:
Mood Organ wrote:

Thanks for the answer ,
I have the R*S Stereo mixer, I don't know how different it is from the UAP. It 'd be great if i could get the headphones out from there...
Have you tried plugging headphones into one of the 1/4" outputs?

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”