MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New setup
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author New setup
codabass
Hey guys, so I have been collecting modules for a short time now, learning them, and am about to spend a fair bit online (black friday sale).

Wondering how this looks for a first setup? Missing anything?

one thing I'm considering is perhaps getting rid of "pam" and getting nerdSQL

however, this is what I'm aiming for now.. would love some feedback...

thanks all

crisponline
You have a load of solid modules in there, and it certainly would give you a lot of synth power and room to learn lots.

Why the two cases?
codabass
Thanks man, appriate the comments smile

Yea, so in terms of the 2 racks.. initially I picked up a 60hp (to go on my moog rack). thought that would be enough... so, just picked up 104hp.. hope that's enough wink

crisponline wrote:
You have a load of solid modules in there, and it certainly would give you a lot of synth power and room to learn lots.

Why the two cases?
sir stony
I'm missing a dedicated filter here, and more modulation sources (envelopes and LFOs) besides maths. A spare attenuverter that can be used as an extra CV source is also always a good thing. I know maths can do a lot, but it can't do it all at once. A modular experience lives by modulating things, and to get the most out of it, you better balance your sound sources and modulation sources.
Take clouds, for example. That is a wonderful module, but to make it really interesting, you can use three or more mod sources for that alone. And to make modulations themselves more interesting, it is common to use a couple and mix/interweave/alternate them.
I'd suggest taking a look at the Klavis Quadigy for a great envelope generator, or the intellijel Quadra/QuadraX if you prefer it simpler and more "hands on", an interesting filter (maybe XAOC Belgrad?), and a tool to manipulate CVs (the Bastl Dynamo is a very interesting module). For an attenuverter (if you can solder and have a deep enough case), get a fonitronik cascade. And in the end, you might think about more LFOs (beyond maths). The Klavis twin waves is very good at that and also makes a very competent VCO at a reasonable price.
benofbrown
You can use outputs from PNW as LFOs, though they might want simpler control over them, of for them to not be synced to the clock as they are by PNW.
crisponline
Maybe trade one mixup for a triatt or similar attenuverter.

You're also missing some CV sequencing (if sequencing is your thing, that is) so trading or accentuating the Pams with a sequencer like NerdSeq could be great.

I'd also recommend Mimetic Digitalis by Noise Engineering, which is a very capable sequencer with a small footprint. Likewise, their Pons Asinorum or Clep Diaz modules add flexible modulation in small hp size.

Good luck, cheers!
Agawell
I'd go for more utilities too

at least 4 attenuators just for clouds - I have a 2hp trim either side of my clouds!!!

so I'd do a deep dive into what different utility modules do and think long and hard about how you would use them - you definitely need a lot more of those

I have nearly a third of my rack being utilities - this works for me

Everytime I think about buying/building a module that is not an utility I think about what utiltiies that module needs - and if I don't already have them spare I buy them either at the same time - or just before or just after

Utilities are the dull polish that make your shiny modules really shine
bemushroomed
Plonk and Rings are pretty meh modules, IMO... Black Hole is super large, doesn't even have sync for the delays afaik, i'd wait for FX Aid, only 4 HP, effects seems awesome, has sync.

A disting mk4 and ornament and crime can do wonders for a small setup.. with disting you have stuff like reverbs, syncable delays, sample players, VCO's, utilities.. it covers a lot, easy to use. Ornament and Crime, same there, covers a lot, sequencers, randomness, LFO's etc. there's a 8HP version, which is preferable over the older, bigger version.
Agawell
+1 for disting

BUT get modules you physically like playing with - the micro clones of various modules are generally not very ergonomic!!! but you might have tiny fingers! or not want to touch them?!?!

personally I prefer larger racks and larger modules to trying to cram everything into the smallest space possible just because I can
bemushroomed
Agawell wrote:
+1 for disting

BUT get modules you physically like playing with - the micro clones of various modules are generally not very ergonomic!!! but you might have tiny fingers! or not want to touch them?!?!

personally I prefer larger racks and larger modules to trying to cram everything into the smallest space possible just because I can

I've had the bigger OC and i have the smaller now, i prefer the smaller, better layout, no problems with the ergonomics at all.
Actually the same with Clouds, i've had the original version, monsoon is just way better, more control, better layout.
Yes Powder
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Image credit: Doctorvague
bemushroomed
Would perhaps be relevant, if he/she anywhere wrote that he wants "analog sound".
Yes Powder
bemushroomed wrote:
Would perhaps be relevant, if he/she anywhere wrote that he wants "analog sound".

Other thread, mentioned falling in love with the sound of modular as opposed to "digital VSTs" or something
Foghorn
Wow, a bunch of very good information here, or at least it is presented very well.
I really agree with this statement
Agawell wrote:
BUT get modules you physically like playing with

Actually his (or whatever) post is full of very good info.

2hp trim or just Doepfer attenuators (A-183-1 or A-183-2)are very useful and are the knobs that you may most wiggle.

Personally I like Plonk and Rings, but voices, and well I guess Plonk is a voice, are a very personnel choice, so get whatever you like.

A simple VCO is always a good choice, something like a Dixie II or an STO are usually very usefull, maybe the core of your sound.
I like to have 2 of the same simple VCOs right next to each other.

Also an oscillator that doubles as an LFO is sometimes great.
Use Modgrid and look for Oscillator and LFO as second function.

Definitely use Modulargrid as a planning resource and to simply browse what exists down this rabbit hole you just jumped into.

Good luck,

Foghorn

footnote: I am so drunk this morning confused
codabass
oh wow guys...

How else can I put it.. I love this site and all of you..

So much good info.. I'm going to disect every message here - and do some serious revamping...

and yes, I'm in love with analog sound.. never even thought some of the modules would be digital...

thanks all - will revise everything
codabass
sorry, also forget to mention - I do have a DFAM and M32 (both have sequencers built in) - would those be sufficiant?

crisponline wrote:
Maybe trade one mixup for a triatt or similar attenuverter.

You're also missing some CV sequencing (if sequencing is your thing, that is) so trading or accentuating the Pams with a sequencer like NerdSeq could be great.

I'd also recommend Mimetic Digitalis by Noise Engineering, which is a very capable sequencer with a small footprint. Likewise, their Pons Asinorum or Clep Diaz modules add flexible modulation in small hp size.

Good luck, cheers!
Agawell
codabass wrote:
sorry, also forget to mention - I do have a DFAM and M32 (both have sequencers built in) - would those be sufficiant?

only you can answer that question!!!

Quote:
Actually his (or whatever) post is full of very good info.

definitely his!!! and thanks!!!
Agawell
Quote:
and yes, I'm in love with analog sound.. never even thought some of the modules would be digital...

I wouldn't worry too much about digital/analog - there are advantages/disadvantages to both- just get what sounds good to you - it's your synthesizer

I see my modular as a patch-progammable analog computer specializing in generating and processing audio and video using a variety of digital and analog modules - one of which is sometimes a macbook pro (which I use for generating/playing video/video feedback)
gtrmstr53
+1 for more modulation options and attenuverters.
MindMachine
gtrmstr53 wrote:
+1 for more modulation options and attenuverters.

Yeah I would agree.

Super interested to hear what would come out of that combo of modules (besides Rings into Clouds).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1