MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Friendly Tip: the Takaab 2xLPG is an insane value
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Friendly Tip: the Takaab 2xLPG is an insane value
zerodivide
Saw the Takaab dual Low Pass Gate module in a shootout video on youtube and decided it was the one for me. Went online to look it up and was SHOCKED to discover that its less than $30 USD brand new. If you can turn off the part of your brain that correlates price to worth, this is an absolute steal of a module. I'm surprised not everybody has these given the price. Anybody else agree?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/takaab-2lpg
DeltaTucanae
Can second this, I use it in basically every patch. The three tone switch is especially nice.
hawkfuzz
Where to buy it from though?
circuitburst
hawkfuzz wrote:
Where to buy it from though?

You can buy TAKAAB modules on eBay here:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/siam-west
parasabda
I agree! I know I am biased because I live in Thailand and love to support the local products but all their modules (esp. passive ones) are great value.

for those who don't use ebay or live in Asia you can also find their products on their website: https://www.siammodular.com/ by far the cheapest place to find handy modules, rails and power supplies in the region.
Joe_D
I agree that the Takaab LPG is a great module and a bargain. It's tempting to buy another one to have around. I use it more than I use many much more expensive modules.

Has anyone played around with modding it to get a different (longer or shorter) decay times? Would it just mean a change in resistor values?

The three stock decay times are very well chosen IMO, and cover lots of what I need. But if I had a second one (well, pair; there are two in a 3hp module), some additional decay times could come in handy.
zerodivide
Joe_D wrote:
I agree that the Takaab LPG is a great module and a bargain. It's tempting to buy another one to have around. I use it more than I use many much more expensive modules.

Has anyone played around with modding it to get a different (longer or shorter) decay times? Would it just mean a change in resistor values?

The three stock decay times are very well chosen IMO, and cover lots of what I need. But if I had a second one (well, pair; there are two in a 3hp module), some additional decay times could come in handy.

is the middle mode low pass gating? wasn't sure if it was just a pass through or not since its so much longer
Joe_D
zerodivide wrote:
is the middle mode low pass gating? wasn't sure if it was just a pass through or not since its so much longer

The eBay listing says:

"With the ‘Tone’ switch in top position, the sound has some filtering, but higher control voltages can open the filter near-completely. The bottom position is the dullest, with the most low-pass filtering. Leaving the switch in the centre position gives next-to no filtering although the signal is still somewhat coloured by the circuit."

"One quirk of the module is the relatively sluggish response time, especially on the down-slope, this adds to the plucky sound and also gives a natural ‘release’ to the CV, meaning it works very nicely by simply feeding a gate signal into the CV input without the need for an envelope. This release is dependant again on the tone setting, so the darker setting has a shorter release compared to the bright setting which has a very long release."

I feel that the middle position does color the sound somewhat (it takes away some of the highest partials), and of course, it has that nice natural release, which is why I use it. It makes a nice performance control, as you can switch from either of the more muted modes to the middle for a burst of energy.
SnipeCatcher
Fine, total impulse buy based on a couple reviews. What else is new?!
starthief
I've been tempted to get one even though I am in love with Natural Gate, and even though most of my synth voices don't have that percussive shape where LPGs really shine.
smithjohn
Just echoing everybody else but the sound is absolutely great. And it's DC coupled too, super handy little module screaming goo yo
waveplant
How does it compare to the DPLPG from Meng Qi?
autopoiesis
oh hell why not. looking forward to comparing to my LxD
Bbman
I have two of them along with a Spuntik Quad VCF/VCA and find myself using Takaab more often for low pass gates. They are very compact, passive, and great for making pinging sounds.

Bought directly from manufacturer. They got to California quickly and Takaab even sent me an email apologizing for sending my order in two separate packages.
tapauly
I love mine, though the jacks seem a bit more resistant to accepting cables than most other modules - almost as if they aren't quite aligned with the faceplate, so I'm trying to push them at an off-angle. Otherwise, definitely one of the best values around!
BlinkyLights
Fascinating. How does a Passive LPG even work? I didn't realize that was a thing.
bedhed3000
waveplant wrote:
How does it compare to the DPLPG from Meng Qi?

I have both. I've found that the DPLPG has a brighter sound and shorter decay, but I think that may depend on the specific vactrols used in either module. The tone switch gives the Takaab a bit of an edge feature wise, but I like having both because, depending on how I configure my case, I might need an odd or an even HP module to fill up the remaining space.
autopoiesis
how's it with fast envelopes?

some vactrol-based VCAs do really well (like the NSL-32 1U module by PulpLogic) to smooth out the transient clicks/pops that can happen when a low-harmonic waveform meets a fast attack. others, like the LxD, are not so good at this.
zerodivide
Joe_D wrote:
zerodivide wrote:

The eBay listing says:

"With the ‘Tone’ switch in top position, the sound has some filtering, but higher control voltages can open the filter near-completely. The bottom position is the dullest, with the most low-pass filtering. Leaving the switch in the centre position gives next-to no filtering although the signal is still somewhat coloured by the circuit."

"One quirk of the module is the relatively sluggish response time, especially on the down-slope, this adds to the plucky sound and also gives a natural ‘release’ to the CV, meaning it works very nicely by simply feeding a gate signal into the CV input without the need for an envelope. This release is dependant again on the tone setting, so the darker setting has a shorter release compared to the bright setting which has a very long release."

I feel that the middle position does color the sound somewhat (it takes away some of the highest partials), and of course, it has that nice natural release, which is why I use it. It makes a nice performance control, as you can switch from either of the more muted modes to the middle for a burst of energy.

thanks for this. for some reason didn't realize I can just send it a gate pulse rather than an envelope! this is so much easier now
zerodivide
autopoiesis wrote:
oh hell why not. looking forward to comparing to my LxD

please report back because I was eyeing the LXD for a while before finding this little guy

tapauly wrote:
I love mine, though the jacks seem a bit more resistant to accepting cables than most other modules - almost as if they aren't quite aligned with the faceplate, so I'm trying to push them at an off-angle. Otherwise, definitely one of the best values around!

yeah same, I have to use 2 hands to insert a cable. But given the price, no complaints smile

autopoiesis wrote:
how's it with fast envelopes?

some vactrol-based VCAs do really well (like the NSL-32 1U module by PulpLogic) to smooth out the transient clicks/pops that can happen when a low-harmonic waveform meets a fast attack. others, like the LxD, are not so good at this.

not that I have much to compare to but really good! I've been sending it the shortest possible Maths envelopes and it works really well. Also just tried sending gates from Rene into the CV and it pings it nicely there too albeit a bit differently. lots of options here depending on your source

BlinkyLights wrote:
Fascinating. How does a Passive LPG even work? I didn't realize that was a thing.

you should read up about it, especially from the Buchla side of things. but basically imagine lowering a VCA and a low pass filter by the same trigger but at different rates relative to each other so that a sound decays in a way closer to sounds in nature. tends to be more pleasing. this is usually accomplished via "vactrols". though some popular LPGs like Rabid Elepehant's Natural Gate are modeled after vactrols without actually using them
autopoiesis
haven't thought much about passive LPGs vs. active LPGs and how that affects the sound. I'm ignant here so I had assumed that passive LPGs would just act more like VCAs with vactrol-shaped response curves, without the frequency rolloffs known in classic LPGs.

I wonder if in the case of the LxD the only active components are handling the normalization of output1 to input2, whatever feedback path is used to make the first channel resonant, and possibly comparators used for the strike inputs.
peabreu
Having it and the Lxd I have no doubts I much prefer the Lxd but the Takaab price is great. Having to decide between both I would go Lxd all the way and never looking back.
zerodivide
peabreu wrote:
Having it and the Lxd I have no doubts I much prefer the Lxd but the Takaab price is great. Having to decide between both I would go Lxd all the way and never looking back.

interesting. In this shootout video the Takaab wins hands down:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8OcPlh_bI

Then again theres a lot of luck involved when it comes to vactrols right? No two are identical. What kind of envelopes are you feeding these guys when comparing?
peabreu
Several, from Intel. Quadra to Roland 540, Zadar... the little takaab is slughish with way less impact than the Lxd or Optamix but is useable. Yes I bought it because of that video but never quite gelled with it. Still need it in the rack due to 3hp and sometimes gets some use.
crisponline
Glad I saw this, may consider this lpg for a lunchbox build
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2