MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Desktop Euro Sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Best Desktop Euro Sequencer
eyeiaye
Hello,

Looking for ways to play with my euro that is not in my rack. What is the best desktop (no skiff) euro interface?

Would love some suggestions.
Nightly Closures
SE Engine has probably been my favorite. Digitakt w/ Mutant Brain works well also. BSP is very good and great value for the money. Keystep gets used really often as well. Mobius couldn’t be more straightforward. Sq-1 is handy. The only one I didn’t get along with was the mfb-step 64 (could’ve been me). If you have any questions about any of these, don’t hesitate.
dubonaire
There is no doubt Cirklon with its Euro CV interface is the best sequencer for Eurorack but unfortunately, the backlog is the worst its ever been.
Richard deHove
Polyend SEQ coupled with the Polyend POLY (or the new Poly 2) is ideal, if expensive. The SEQ has eight channels of mono 32-step (and a pseudo poly mode). Lovely to program which I find is a rarity in sequencers.
Dedal
I vote for pyramid! But you need to buy multiple channel midi cv converter.

But best all in one is arturia beatstep pro IMO
sloth713
If you want a fully featured "classic style" 8 to 16 step sequencer it is hard to beat the Doepfer Dark Time. It has great tactile feed back, good visual fead back, and sits next to perfectly in one's lap
mosorensen
The Koma "Komplex Sequencer" is another option.
versipellis
Best? Cirklon, hands down. wink
ranzen
+1 for SE Engine & CV/Gate extension
ratchet
There is no 'best'. Better to think about what you need and how you would use it.

Cirklon is very powerful but I honestly find it a little 'clunky' due to the need for the breakout box (or midi/CV interface). It also demands a lot effort to learn. While I wouldn't sell mine it is boxed at the moment.

Something like the Doepfer Dark Time, Korg SQ1 or the Beatstep are more immediate. As well as being cheaper and obtainable.
Jaypee
Cirklon is of course one of the kings! (eurorack or not)

But it lacks gate/cv inputs to interact in modular world. Don't you think? Or maybe I miss it? smile (I'd like to reset some tracks using gate inputs, but I don't think it's possible)
mdoudoroff
As ratchet said, there is no “best”. Unless you want to compare some quite specific purpose.

I went with a Komplex a couple years ago because it was straightforward and totally patchable—check out that patch bay. “Best” for me? Maybe. So far.
rurs
The Circuit Mono Station is worth a look. Built in CV/gate and clock, assignable mod source, really straightforward to use, plus you get a nice monosynth on top, quite literally.
The pads (up to 4 octaves) also make a nice controller for just playing, outside sequencing.
WaveRider
the best sequencer in modular is: lots of simple step sequencers patched into each other!
jzwoopwoop
With the prevalence of ready-made cases (with or without built-in power options) I'm curious why the OP sets the criteria of a desktop sequencer. I mean, do what you want to do, OP. It just seems like an arbitrary requirement that the sequencer be a desktop unit.
rustyjaw
The Deluge is a great sequencer and great all around groovebox with a pretty open-ended and flexible UI.

It can drive a bunch of MIDI gear, but also has 2 channels of CV out and 4 gate outs.
ratchet
jzwoopwoop wrote:
With the prevalence of ready-made cases (with or without built-in power options) I'm curious why the OP sets the criteria of a desktop sequencer. I mean, do what you want to do, OP. It just seems like an arbitrary requirement that the sequencer be a desktop unit.

Good point. The OP could get a 4ms POD or other small case and probably have a smaller desk footprint than many stand-alone sequencers. The choice is then opened up to the many great eurorack sequencers.
dubonaire
Jaypee wrote:

But it lacks gate/cv inputs to interact in modular world. Don't you think? Or maybe I miss it? smile (I'd like to reset some tracks using gate inputs, but I don't think it's possible)

It does for now but apparently that is on the feature list.
cackland
I would agree, there is no 'best'. Dependent on your style and how you want to sequence your modular. IMO, a couple of sequencers that do things differently would be ideal. One predominately for control voltage manipulation and the other that specializes in trigger based sequencing.
eyeiaye
Thanks for everyone’s reply. What if your interested in more experimental pursuits vs 4 on the floor drum and bass.
Jumbuktu
eyeiaye wrote:
Thanks for everyone’s reply. What if your interested in more experimental pursuits vs 4 on the floor drum and bass.

I am not interested in techno drum machine imitations (not being critical of those who are). I find the Kilpatrick Carbon works for me.
leterell
eyeiaye wrote:

i have a cirklon ATM, it facilitates any need if one just remembers to think outside the 4/4 16 button/knob interface. i had an SE engine, it was great but not as flexible, alas more prone to 4/4 things, but also easily allows polyrhythmic sequencing. somehow on the cirklon the polyrhythmic / non conventional beats feel more intuitive to program, may be the display and more controls. aaaaaand cirklons are hard to come by nowadays. and the engine i also very much liked, just not as much.

best sequencer for experimental pursuits? for me ER-101 (+ER-102 depending on how deep an interface / possibilities one desires), hands down best for approaching sequencing with a blank mindset. it does not force the visual context of 8 or 16 steps as a starting point and thus with that sequencer i've made the most interesting melodic progressions so far. in-rack tho. put it in a small skiff? i'm tempted by that idea myself at the moment.
Jaypee
dubonaire wrote:
Jaypee wrote:

It does for now but apparently that is on the feature list.

Ow! ok! time to upgrade Cirklon then!
Jaypee
For me, René and ER 101/102 are the best. Total opposite...

Got rid of ER 101/102 as soon as I got my Cirklon though.

edit : oups I missed the "desktop"...but with 4ms pod, everything can be desktoped smile
stickman
Desktop I'd shout out A4, or Digitakt for moar midi.

Can be had the same price as other sequencers and comes with 4 free mono synths..

five12 when it becomes desktop.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2