MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ornament and Crime for Dummies?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ornament and Crime for Dummies?
mmelnick
I’ve had an Ornament and Crime for a while and it’s sat in my rack neglected. I tried to use it today and damn, I hardly remember anything about it. I’m not the greatest with figuring things out, is there some kind of cheat sheet, a web page or even a book with easy steps to get it happening? I could use some straightforward help. Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest. Rockin' Banana!
modmac
Have you seen the manual?
https://ornament-and-cri.me/user-manual-v1_3/#overview

Try some of the simpler modes that do something with out requiring inputs, like Low-rents to create chaotic modulators.
mmelnick
Yes, I have. I meant a cheat sheet or something even more basic. I’ll review the manual again, thank you for the reply.
sduck
The start of the manual is about as basic as you can get, yet surprisingly comprehensive.
sutekina bipu-on
I would start on the Peaks program to learn to use it as an ADSR. I found that to be the easiest to learn by far and then the rest basically makes sense after that. Disclaimer: I knew temps utile before o_c, so i already had the menu system down. I still think its the easiest program to learn how the o_c works.
Euro Trash Bazooka
I was wishing the same thing this weekend as I tried to figure out the Harrington 1200 mode.

I wish there was a cheat sheet like the ones for Maths (although Maths was already way too complex I think.)

My main gripe with those cheat sheets and manuals (I've read the O_C manual a few times, I eve' printed it) is that they always assume the users are already familiar with all the terms a'd functions and whatnot, and don't make any efforts to soften the über steep learning curve.

We need simple patch notes and everything laid out for us before it starts making sense. I can't understand how each parameter reacts if I can't even make a simple patch right from the get go. Like, "patch this output from the O_C in this input of your oscillator, patch this output in such input from your sequencer, etc..."

LIKEWISE, I watched YouTube videos about it as well and I had the same issue.

Manufacturers and savvy people always assume too much about the beginners or the ones who try hard but don't know everything already...
mdoudoroff
O&C isn’t difficult, but it’s a little tedious and it has a gestalt you have to get a handle on. These characteristics are the result of the hardware limitations in terms of size and controls. You can’t just read the manual—you have to actually do it.

I think the only way to do it is to focus on a particular app and master that one. The rest of them will more or less follow the same patterns. Sequins and Acid Curds are a bit more complex—more trouble (fiddly) than they’re worth to me, in fact. YMMV.

Harrington 1200 and Automatonnetz aren’t going to make much “sense”, intellectually, if you don’t already understand Tonnetz transformations, although you can certainly just use trial and error to find results you like. They’re kind of cool.

For me, the core of O&C are the quantizer-oriented apps, and they’re all super-straightforward. CopierMaschine is one of the best quantizing shift registers around—much fun to be had. Quantermain is a straight-up useful quad quantizer. Meta-Q is just like Quantermain, except you get some assignable CV inputs in place of two quantization channels.

As sutekina bipu-on points out, Piqued (and Low-rents) are easy ones, too.

Chances are, you’ll seldom use more than one or two of the apps in O&C—the module will likely settle into one or two particular roles in your process. And that’s perfectly fine. That might even change over time. For example, O&C was mainly a quantizer for me, but I finally got my Sinfonion, so now O&C is now freed up to do other things.
autopoiesis
agree with @mdoudoroff , to just pick one app and master it. I've had one for about 3 years and now 99% of the time I'm just using Quantermain, since any or all of the 4 channels can act as:

- a 12TET or microtonal quantizer
- a Turing Machine-style loopable random stepped modulation source
- a looping stepped modulation source based on really useful patterns (e.g., the integer sequences) that you can mutate with CV
- a sample & hold

and each can act with or without quantization, and with or without different clock divisions per channel driving the new sample acquisitions.
hinterlands303
O_C for dummies already exists and it's called Hemispheres! The applets in Hemispheres are much easier to understand, although admittedly less powerful. Once I installed Hemispheres I never looked back.

Also, the fact that it is split into two "hemispheres" makes it much more useful for me. For instance: I usually use a quantizer in my patches but I rarely need 4 channels of quantization. With Hemisphere's I still have the other side of the module free to use for other functions.
BaloErets
mdoudoroff wrote:
I think the only way to do it is to focus on a particular app and master that one.
100% this! thumbs up

mdoudoroff wrote:
CopierMaschine is one of the best quantizing shift registers around—much fun to be had.
1000% this!! thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
pld
Good, Hemispheres has already been mentioned...

Parts of o_C should simply be viewed as quirky experiments with niche appeal at best.
E.g. after implementing them I never actually found the Tonnetz apps particularly useful and would have been just as happy to throw them away. You can thank Timmy there was any documentation at all for them smile
mdoudoroff
pld wrote:
Parts of o_C should simply be viewed as quirky experiments with niche appeal at best.
E.g. after implementing them I never actually found the Tonnetz apps particularly useful and would have been just as happy to throw them away. You can thank Timmy there was any documentation at all for them smile

On the other hand, these were fun to do:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/automatonnetz-sketch-ornament[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/neo-riemannian-study-alt[/s]
nrg242
i agree with all thats been said. Hemispheres made it a lot easier to digest what some use cases would be in my rack. then it freed up my other OC to basically just sit in one of the quantizer modes all the time, also adding turing functions. I too was going to replace this OC with Sinfonion, but mine had to get RMA'd so i'm sitting here with a giant gap awaiting its return.
Euro Trash Bazooka
The threads about the O_C and Hemisphere are both too large to start delving into to me.

Doesn't Hemisphere make menu-diving more tedious? I might consider it.

And yes, for what it's worth I did manage to get interesting results with Copier Maschine and even with Quadraturia before. I think it's definitely worth spending time on learning how to use some functions one by one.
rayultine
Hemispheres has almost no menu diving for the main app.

WARNING: Hemispheres will make you want to have two o_Cs
jnduffie
mdoudoroff -- that second track, "neo-Riemannian Study," is absolutely lovely. Reminded me a bit of Roedelius' Self-Portrait tracks.
Arneb
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:
My main gripe with those cheat sheets and manuals (I've read the O_C manual a few times, I eve' printed it) is that they always assume the users are already familiar with all the terms a'd functions and whatnot, and don't make any efforts to soften the über steep learning curve.

Agreed on the O_C manual, but cheat sheets don't have the purpose of teaching beginners. Those things are for quick recall of stuff you already know in principle but won't remember.
Orwell
I find it is helpful to use the o and c oled screen visuals as a guide - look at the visual feedback and plug in, plug out, notice the visual changes along with sound changes. Wiggle a knob and always go back into the screen mode and watch the visual feedback.
pld
mdoudoroff wrote:

Awesome. My hope in not throwing it away was that other people might find more use for it...

And not to derail things, but I get the feeling there are some pretty high expectations of the manual. That content doesn't just magically appear.
Again, you can thank (mainly, IIRC) Timmy for ensuring there's a fairly comprehensive documentation at all; I for one don't always have intrinsic motivation for that effort, let alone at a scope that might soften any learning curves, for free, on what at times seemed like throw-away code on an obscure DIY thing smile
If you bought the module and have higher expectations, apply pressure to the folks selling them. And we've always been open for additions or tutorials.
strawberry
Check out
Voltage Control Lab
on youtube
Euro Trash Bazooka
[quote="pld"]
mdoudoroff wrote:

And not to derail things, but I get the feeling there are some pretty high expectations of the manual. That content doesn't just magically appear.
Again, you can thank (mainly, IIRC) Timmy for ensuring there's a fairly comprehensive documentation at all; I for one don't always have intrinsic motivation for that effort, let alone at a scope that might soften any learning curves, for free, on what at times seemed like throw-away code on an obscure DIY thing smile
If you bought the module and have higher expectations, apply pressure to the folks selling them. And we've always been open for additions or tutorials.

Wait, I didn't mean to come off as an ungrateful ass or anything. Truly, I find it amazing that such great and intense work is being shared for all to use and I am very thankful for that. I don't have higher expectations about the module. It's quite opposite actually. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that most manufacturers (that excludes you since the module is diy) have higher expectations of what their newer consumers already know, which isn't always a given or maybe like it used to be when it comes to modular as the eurorack market keeps attracting new hobbyists and people without formal synthesis education as it grows.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread, I'm done with that and looking forward to tips and all. I'll install Hemisphere this week and will maybe get another O_C after that, who knows. I sure love the module, I just wish I could get more acquainted with it faster. Please keep up the amazing work.
Markthom
Ornament and Crime is a wonderful module that can be amazingly easy to use or something you need to spend some time with.

Piqued is my 2nd favourite and its a flexible, easy to use envelope generator.

Top spot for me has to go to Quantermain - wonderful random / semi random musical content generator, I've had numerous happy accidents whilst deliving into it, particularly using the built in Integer Sequences and have created a playlist of some of those tracks - all of the content is generated by the module, there is nothing "composed" as such. I'd love a standalone modules with the parameters brought to the surface, its so musical smile

Joe_D
I just started listening -- very nice stuff, Markthom! I will check out more of your O_C tracks.
BaloErets
mdoudoroff wrote:
pld wrote:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/automatonnetz-sketch-ornament[/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/mdoudoroff/neo-riemannian-study-alt[/s]

Beautiful tracks mdoudoroff! we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
Bartelby
autopoiesis wrote:
agree with @mdoudoroff , to just pick one app and master it. I've had one for about 3 years and now 99% of the time I'm just using Quantermain, since any or all of the 4 channels can act as:

- a 12TET or microtonal quantizer
- a Turing Machine-style loopable random stepped modulation source
- a looping stepped modulation source based on really useful patterns (e.g., the integer sequences) that you can mutate with CV
- a sample & hold

and each can act with or without quantization, and with or without different clock divisions per channel driving the new sample acquisitions.

Quartermain is why I bought the module. It was the cheapest way to get multiple quantizers.
Then when I read further and discovered the Turing Machine function I was stoked.

I'm not sure I've used anything else on it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2