MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quadrax and Qx by Intellijel + [ VIDEOS ]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Quadrax and Qx by Intellijel + [ VIDEOS ]
intellijel

The Intellijel Quadrax consists of four independent, CV-controllable channels, each of which can be configured to perform any one of the following functions:

an AD (Attack, Decay) envelope
an AHR (Attack, Hold, Release) envelope
a cycling envelope (resulting in a unipolar LFO)
a pulse burst generator (Finite repeated functions that ascend or descend in amplitude)
a morphing, bipolar beat syncable LFO
The envelopes all feature a continuously variable response curve, ranging from logarithmic through linear to exponential, and each stage can be as snappy as 0.3 ms to as lengthy as 20 seconds.

When set to Burst mode, the channel generates a rising or falling burst of pulses, with full control over the length of the pulse burst, the number and shape of the bursts within it, and whether the bursts increase or decrease in amplitude over the burst.

AD, AHR, Cycling and Burst modes all feature a user-selectable maximum output level of either 5V or 10V.

LFO mode offers control over the frequency and waveshape, while providing a unique morphing feature that creates numerous variations of the selected waveshape. LFOs can be either free-running or beat-synchronized using the channel’s TRIG input.

Channels can be chained together to create complex multi-stage envelopes, with each channel triggered by the previous channel’s trigger input, end-of-rise, or end-of-fall. This enables multiple function generators to fire simultaneously, or it enables the creation of complex multi-stage envelopes by allowing the linked function to fire either at the end of the previous function’s rise time, or at the end of its fall time.

Four freely-assignable, step-attenuverted CV inputs are capable of modulating any or all of the various parameters across all four channels using the built-in CV matrix, and built-in attenuversion for each assignment.

Quadrax remembers its current state (Mode and CV assignments, channel links, etc) and retains that state even if power is removed, meaning Quadrax will always turn on in exactly the same state as you last left it.

Use the optional Qx module to add individual outputs for each channel’s End-of-Rise and End-of-Fall triggers.

Quadrax Page
Qx page

Manual for Quadrax and Qx

SavageMessiah
I just skimmed through the manual for this thing and it does a lot more than I expected it to, pretty damn impressive. The CV matrix is particularly cool. I wish the CV inputs on Zadar worked that way rather than being dedicated to a channel. If I hadn't just bought a Just Friends, it would be using that same 14hp. Still..... Dead Banana
dubonaire
Yep this looks like an excellent envelope generator!
exper
This turned out beautiful. Love the design and power packed into it. Looking forward to the demos, and getting one in my system asap.
Glitchmachines
Looks excellent! Congrats to Danjel and team!
joem
Wow. I really like how it's designed. It sounds like even though the module has some pretty complex ways it can be used, I wouldn't really need to refer to the manual after reading it once. Well, maybe I'd have to check it a few times for the LFO wave chart. But all the rest seems to just make sense and have enough on the panel to point you in the right direction once you know something's possible with it.
megarat
I've been waiting for this for months, and just ordered mine (with the Qx) this afternoon. I'm psyched.

I noticed in the manual that there are two expansion connectors on the back of the Quadrax. Do you have other expansions in mind apart from the Qx?
comacomfort
What is the knob resolution? How fine can we dial in the speed? With digital modules manufacturers (other than roland) never advertise the knob resolution, and I find it very confusing as to why. The reason I got into modular was because midi controllers were limited to 127 steps of resolution on the knobs. Modular is more accurate.

If I wanna detune one looping envelope microscopically faster than another, what is the slowest rate that they can beat against eachother?
With an analog module, the beating could be almost infinitely tuneable. So how big are the "pixels" on this?
Spiff
It looks amazing love
djd_oz
Where can I see the manual for this?
cackland
On the product page of their website (Specs and Downloads)
dubonaire
djd_oz wrote:

Link is in Intellijel's post.
ugokcen
This is impressive, definitely going into my next case applause

The CV matrix seems really powerful though I am not a fan of multi-function buttons in general. I need to see one in action to get a sense of how easy or difficult it is to make assignments. At worst, I can just ignore it because the rest of package already offers a ton of features.

It was also not clear to me which output the voltages come out from when they are linked. I suppose the default is their own dedicated outputs but one reason to link the envelopes is to create multi-stage envelopes that would then control one parameter.

Also a big thumbs up for the detailed manual! All other manufacturers should take notice.
djd_oz
dubonaire wrote:
djd_oz wrote:

Link is in Intellijel's post.

Ahh, thanks, couldn’t see it on the tiny phone screen.
depaffect
perhaps a silly question, but can the LFOs be reset as opposed to clock sync?
CaneMan
Definitely putting this module (plus expander) on my buy list. The config for the CV's is a little more cryptic than I'd like. Though even without the CV inputs, that's a lot of extra features over the original Quadra. applause
doublestewart
I usually try to stay away from multi colored button selectors, but in this case they really pack in a ton of functionality into 14 hp. And with 5 different function types and the ability to link functions, this is looking like a must have.
gonkulator
Now THAT is intelligent and useful panel design. Cheers to Intellijel!
Ras Thavas
Lot of valuable functions in this module, very tempting, till I got to the point in the manual that describes how the cv assignments work.

For me at least the interface seems difficult. I know that if I worked with this on a regular basis it would be no problem to use, but I also know if I left it alone for awhile and came back to it I'd have to relearn much of it.

I have too many modules like this already smile
CaneMan
Ras Thavas wrote:
Lot of valuable functions in this module, very tempting, till I got to the point in the manual that describes how the cv assignments work.

For me at least the interface seems difficult. I know that if I worked with this on a regular basis it would be no problem to use, but I also know if I left it alone for awhile and came back to it I'd have to relearn much of it.

I have too many modules like this already smile

Agreed. The CV assignments are esoteric. If I had already bought a Quadra (plus expander), I wouldn't bother. Since I haven't...

If I look at quad envelopes at 18HP or less I find modules like the Klavis Quadigy, Xoac Devices Zadar, and Malekko Quad Envelope. (My only envelopes ATM are a Befaco Rampage, and the non-playable outs from Pam's New Workout.) They all have some pretty exciting features, but the Quadrax (plus expander) has enough playable and immediate features, that I find myself drawn to it. And if the CV ins prove too annoying to configure, I'll just ignore them.
Ras Thavas
CaneMan wrote:
Agreed. The CV assignments are esoteric. If I had already bought a Quadra (plus expander), I wouldn't bother. Since I haven't...

If I look at quad envelopes at 18HP or less I find modules like the Klavis Quadigy, Xoac Devices Zadar, and Malekko Quad Envelope. (My only envelopes ATM are a Befaco Rampage, and the non-playable outs from Pam's New Workout.) They all have some pretty exciting features, but the Quadrax (plus expander) has enough playable and immediate features, that I find myself drawn to it. And if the CV ins prove too annoying to configure, I'll just ignore them.

Good point, if I didn't have a Quadra plus expander, or other envelope/control modules, this could be a really useful module just with the top level features.
Mend
Really cool. Love the fancy layout smile
cowboyelectronics
love the panel design. i cant imagine how many hours intellijel put into these two modules.
Nightly Closures
Ordered.
pieter
I've gone on record that to me Intellijel has the most attractive module design out of all the manufacturers. Clean and intuitive. You are again hitting it out of the park with this one. I read the manual and the only thing I learned from it was the rise/fall behaviour in burst mode, and the two-second hold on the CV button. The rest is entirely intuitive. Congrats!

I currently have the Quadra, which I use in almost every patch. I also have a Maths, a Stages, a Batumi, a URA and a Triple Sloths, which together round out my function generation section. I am really tempted to upgrade the quadra to the Quadrax for the burst alone.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2