MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers ES-9 USB Audio Interface
os
Just announced this:

https://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/es9.html
Quote:
The ES-9 is a Eurorack 16-in/16-out USB audio interface, with DC-coupled inputs and outputs that can be used for both audio and CVs.

With its balanced 1/4" main outputs & headphone socket, it's the perfect one-stop solution for integrating a modular synth and a laptop/tablet, either in the studio or when playing out at a gig.
dubonaire
This will be my first Expert Sleepers module. I could run this as a second audio interface. My only concern is with this and the Cirklon I could run everything from outside the modular and not sure if I want to do that. But will get this anyway.
tiger001
what type of (premium?) USB cable do you advice with these?
os
I've been using these - same as I use with the FH-2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DRKWU8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_kukGDb2NE 4KSC
dubonaire
os wrote:
I've been using these - same as I use with the FH-2.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DRKWU8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_kukGDb2NE 4KSC

thumbs up
mdoudoroff
os, thank you for making this module. Someone needed to!
damase
So many inputs and no adat waah
TemplarK
tiger001 wrote:
what type of (premium?) USB cable do you advice with these?

One with nice braiding.
cackland
Very nice. I'm probably the minority, however would love to see a baby brother in the 1U (Intellijel & Pulp) format.
starthief
This is nice!

I of course just picked up an ES-3 and ES-6 last week... lol Had I been just a little slower on that, I'd have held out for the ES-9, and replaced my audio interface and reduced some cable clutter. Ah well smile
organon
451mA eek!
organon
Will this replace the ES-8 or will there be a restock and ongoing support for the ES-8? Just asking because I noticed the ES-8 is out of stock everywhere and now here comes this announcement.
os
The ES-8 should be back in stock very soon.
ryangaston
Looks amazing!! I’d been wondering lately why something like this didn’t exactly exist. Just add a Little Mikey and it works great for external instruments/mics too...brilliant Guinness ftw!
ckwjr
This looks great. I've been using the ES-8 for several months, have never had any problems with it. I'll definitely think about upgrading to the ES-9!
lauprellim
Don't mean to state the obvious, but it looks like there's only 14/out and 8/in on this module. But there are optical ins/outs. Do you need to expand with another module to get the full 16/in/out?

Definitely like the headphone jacks, but not able to upgrade....we just got ES-8, ES-6 and ES-3, and I'm very happy with those! But the headphone jacks WOULD be really useful!

Thanks and have a great day.
dumbledog
Os, have you tried installing one into the newer 51mm 4ms Pods? I feel like this could be a nice compact interface solution for me that would allow me to sideline my MOTU 828x, which doesn't really get the use it that it should.
os
Quote:
Don't mean to state the obvious, but it looks like there's only 14/out and 8/in on this module.

You've got them the wrong way round. The middle section (white background) are inputs.

Quote:
Os, have you tried installing one into the newer 51mm 4ms Pods?

Yes, we tried it. It's tight, but it fits!
Jaypee
Exactly what I needed!!! Was about to buy a Lynx Aurora 16...

Would love to hear an A/B comparison with a 'high end' converters though
scrunday
Please forgive what is possibly a naive question--

Is the ES-9, and its predecessors for that matter, designed to replace a native Mac/PC soundcard as well as serve as a hub for line-in and line-out or is it primarily designed to serve as an interface for line-in/out and that should be used in tandem with an external soundcard (e.g, UA, Focusrite, Presonus, etc.)?

This question is based on my understanding that the soundcards in most consumer-grade computers lack what is required for music production even for a completely in-the-box approach.
dumbledog
os wrote:
Quote:
Os, have you tried installing one into the newer 51mm 4ms Pods?

Yes, we tried it. It's tight, but it fits!

Oh hell yeah, thanks much. I haven't even so much as bothered to turn on the modulars in about four months but this will be fun.
pekbro
Very nice!

scrunday wrote:

If you have a mac you should be able to set it up as an aggregate device
in conjunction with your "soundcard"

If you have a pc, it will replace it as a pc cannot use more than 1 interface
(at the same time) and it doesn't seem to have ADAT support. ADAT would
allow it to be used to extend the in and outputs of another ADAT interface.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up a dedicated interface
for it. Definitely it would be super handy though.
scrunday
pekbro wrote:
Very nice!

scrunday wrote:

If you have a mac you should be able to set it up as an aggregate device
in conjunction with your "soundcard"

If you have a pc, it will replace it as a pc cannot use more than 1 interface
(at the same time) and it doesn't seem to have ADAT support. ADAT would
allow it to be used to extend the in and outputs of another ADAT interface.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to give up a dedicated interface
for it. Definitely it would be super handy though.

I get the aggregate device thing. It's what drove me away from the PC environment 5 years ago (i.e., trying to use multiple hardware devices with audio over USB simultaneously on a PC laptop).

The ES-9 looks awesome. I'm just curious if it's soundcard capabilities (not just getting sounds and CV in and out of my computer) is sufficient for music production or would I need to augment it with something like a UA Apollo for mixing and mastering.
VibratingMotorGate
What is the signal to noise ratio and dynamic range? I suppose this might depend on the power supply.
theotteryears
Is there a way to turn down the monitor outs via the front panel?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4