MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cwejman SM-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Cwejman SM-1
The Disquiet
Getting familiar with the wonderful Cwejman SM-1. All sounds are solely from the SM-1.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/poly_mod/sm-1-arp[/s]

The two VCOs are tuned in a fifth, first one is a SAW, 2nd a PWM Saw. The PWM is done by LFO2. LFO1 modulates the cutoff of the filter as well is the spacing of the filter.

I'm playing through several filter settings, first clean and at the end SAT1.

I've played keyboard through a Yarns in ARP mode to provide the pitches.
Recorded in one take in Pro Tools, added bit of delay (Echoboy) and reverb (Adaptiverb)
Portabella
thank you .. sounds nice
Sanys
wonderful.
The Disquiet
its an amazing module we're not worthy
monads
The Disquiet wrote:
its an amazing module we're not worthy


Amazing 'standalone module' you mean hihi hihi hihi
Cause I'm not seeing anything you can't accomplish with a cwejman system of separate comparable modules or an S1. Just saying wink
danielraffel
Absolutely gorgeous recording. Nice use of the SM-1!
The Disquiet
danielraffel wrote:
Absolutely gorgeous recording. Nice use of the SM-1!


thanks Daniel! It's peanut butter jelly time!
SnipeCatcher
The Disquiet wrote:
Getting familiar with the wonderful Cwejman SM-1. All sounds are solely from the SM-1.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/poly_mod/sm-1-arp[/s]

The two VCOs are tuned in a fifth, first one is a SAW, 2nd a PWM Saw. The PWM is done by LFO2. LFO1 modulates the cutoff of the filter as well is the spacing of the filter.

I'm playing through several filter settings, first clean and at the end SAT1.

I've played keyboard through a Yarns in ARP mode to provide the pitches.
Recorded in one take in Pro Tools, added bit of delay (Echoboy) and reverb (Adaptiverb)


I love this demo so thanks for posting it! I just got my invoice today for an SM-1. Should be in my hands in 2-3 weeks, fingers crossed’
If you care to share more audio and/or patch notes, I sure would be grateful!
Rudloe
monads wrote:
The Disquiet wrote:
its an amazing module we're not worthy


Amazing 'standalone module' you mean hihi hihi hihi
Cause I'm not seeing anything you can't accomplish with a cwejman system of separate comparable modules or an S1. Just saying wink


Snap.
Gringo Starr
monads wrote:
The Disquiet wrote:
its an amazing module we're not worthy


Amazing 'standalone module' you mean hihi hihi hihi
Cause I'm not seeing anything you can't accomplish with a cwejman system of separate comparable modules or an S1. Just saying wink


True but it wouldn’t easy to buy all the separate Cwejman modules that would make the SM1 and it would probably be much more expensive since the used market would most likely be the only place to find them. Or wait forever for Wowa to make the modules you need.
SnipeCatcher
Gringo Starr wrote:
monads wrote:
The Disquiet wrote:
its an amazing module we're not worthy


Amazing 'standalone module' you mean hihi hihi hihi
Cause I'm not seeing anything you can't accomplish with a cwejman system of separate comparable modules or an S1. Just saying wink


True but it wouldn’t easy to buy all the separate Cwejman modules that would make the SM1 and it would probably be much more expensive since the used market would most likely be the only place to find them. Or wait forever for Wowa to make the modules you need.


Exactly this. Second hand prices for module tend to range from too high to crazy high. The only reason I spent this much in one chunk on a ‘module.’
robotsounds
Sounds great. Cannot wait to get my hands on one.
Sanys
Same same ... I’m couple of weeks from playing the module.
SnipeCatcher
With any luck, my SM-1 should turn up within a week or so, according to Big City Music. I have high hopes for this thing! In the meantime, I’ve searched around for demos, videos, etc., and aside from the really great demo in this thread, I found only one other of Maho doing some awesome noise type stuff. There’s one other one, but it’s a cellphone recording that’s really muddy and doesn’t tell you much about what the SM-1 can do. I’m a tiny bit surprised by the lack of interest in general.
Gringo Starr
SnipeCatcher wrote:
With any luck, my SM-1 should turn up within a week or so, according to Big City Music. I have high hopes for this thing! In the meantime, I’ve searched around for demos, videos, etc., and aside from the really great demo in this thread, I found only one other of Maho doing some awesome noise type stuff. There’s one other one, but it’s a cellphone recording that’s really muddy and doesn’t tell you much about what the SM-1 can do. I’m a tiny bit surprised by the lack of interest in general.


Most people don’t make demos and not many of these have even been released.

Most modular demos suck anyway.
B0bcat
I wonder how people will integrate this into a small-ish system, e.g. what modules to complement it with. I'm thinking to add URA, Maths, Quad VCA and a more "character" filter, and perhaps a third oscillator?
SnipeCatcher
My 10U setup is ‘smallish’ so I’ve been wrestling with MG to figure out a sensible solution
robotsounds
SnipeCatcher wrote:
With any luck, my SM-1 should turn up within a week or so, according to Big City Music. I have high hopes for this thing! In the meantime, I’ve searched around for demos, videos, etc., and aside from the really great demo in this thread, I found only one other of Maho doing some awesome noise type stuff. There’s one other one, but it’s a cellphone recording that’s really muddy and doesn’t tell you much about what the SM-1 can do. I’m a tiny bit surprised by the lack of interest in general.


Only a small number of people have actually been able to get their hands on this module so far, they are still in production. I think there will only be 300 or so produced in total.
SnipeCatcher
robotsounds wrote:
SnipeCatcher wrote:
With any luck, my SM-1 should turn up within a week or so, according to Big City Music. I have high hopes for this thing! In the meantime, I’ve searched around for demos, videos, etc., and aside from the really great demo in this thread, I found only one other of Maho doing some awesome noise type stuff. There’s one other one, but it’s a cellphone recording that’s really muddy and doesn’t tell you much about what the SM-1 can do. I’m a tiny bit surprised by the lack of interest in general.


Only a small number of people have actually been able to get their hands on this module so far, they are still in production. I think there will only be 300 or so produced in total.


Yeah, if I heard correctly, Big City Music has only gotten 32 of em so far. Thankfully, one of em is mine! Supposed to arrive at my house on Thursday of next week smile
BlackDoors
Have it in a palette here at the moment (it wasn't totally happy in my intellijel 7u which has a lot of very digital modules in, although it worked great in my Doepfer case).

The sound and performance are amazing, having the LFOs and env broken out onto jacks mean theres so much you can do. If you add a couple of VCAs and attenuators as well it expands the possibilities into the stratosphere. It can achieve a wide range of vintage and FM/PWM tones with that powerful sound under very tight control that I expect from Cwejman.

Worth noting some of the waveforms marked on the panel are not the usual ones from VCO-2RM, I didn't test directly the difference but SM1 panel shows PWM saws (I will have to check if this is only a cosmetic difference but from memory the saw on VCO2RM does not respond directly to PWM).

In any case I would say a range of very aggressive sounds are achievable. There are lots of areas of 'classic Cwejman' overlap in SM-1 but the agressive character that one can muster via the filter saturation and waveforms are a little distinct from S1 and the combo of (say) DLFO, VCO2RM, MMF1, ADSR-VC2 plus VCA.

Brilliant module anyway and the functional density is just awesome.

John
SnipeCatcher
I have an Intellijel 7U...fingers crossed! Also have a MN skiff...at least I can compare
BlackDoors
SnipeCatcher wrote:
I have an Intellijel 7U...fingers crossed! Also have a MN skiff...at least I can compare


Let me know how you get on, I got noise in the 7u when the SM-1 filter was open but i didn't start ripping other modules out to find the source yet..... and that's sort of the 'dirty digital high powered modules with screens' box for me!

John
SnipeCatcher
I’ll definitely report back on it when my SM-1 finally gets here smile
peripatitis
BlackDoors wrote:
...

Worth noting some of the waveforms marked on the panel are not the usual ones from VCO-2RM, I didn't test directly the difference but SM1 panel shows PWM saws (I will have to check if this is only a cosmetic difference but from memory the saw on VCO2RM does not respond directly to PWM).
....
John

pwm'ed saws was a vco6 thing.
flo
BlackDoors wrote:
I will have to check if this is only a cosmetic difference but from memory the saw on VCO2RM does not respond directly to PWM.


peripatitis wrote:
pwm'ed saws was a vco6 thing.


There are two different saws responding to PWM on the VCO2RM thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group