MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best Eurorack sequencer.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Best Eurorack sequencer.
JM Midnight
I already have the Soundmachines DC-1 for beats, the Minibrute 2s and the Soundmachines Arches, but what would be a fine internal sequencer for my rack? So far, I'm looking at the Frap Usta, the Rene 18, the FLXS1, the 1010 and mostly, the NERD SEQ.
JM Midnight
Mostly I like Power Electronics, Harsh Noise, Old-school Industrial and Death Industrial. Either way, I'll probably make smooth Jazz. Chaos is great, but I would still like some control over it.
sutekina bipu-on
JM Midnight wrote:
Mostly I like Power Electronics, Harsh Noise, Old-school Industrial and Death Industrial. Either way, I'll probably make smooth Jazz. Chaos is great, but I would still like some control over it.

We make the same kind of stuff so i think you will like my suggestions? I also like chaos but in true industrial fashion i love everything to be robotically quantized perfectly on the kick.

If i'm lazy i use my Keystep in sequencer mode. You can either record live or step sequencer mode. Just hit record, hit a bunch of notes, hit play and change the rate & note separation. I love it because it outputs cv/gate and can be clocked from a midi drum machine.

I now use an ornament & crime and a modseq however i am considering replacing the modseq with something else i can use as a normal step sequencer. I personally gravitate towards 16 step patterns and the modseq is a 8 step sequencer.

I also have a temps utile i use every time i turn the rack on because it's extremely useful for gate and trigger sequencing alone. The trigger sequencer on it is bad ass and i initially bought it because i found that logic modules were super sick for creating industial type sequences.

I have a MIDI to CV converter to use midi sequencers too. Used to use a doepfer midi to cv but then i sold it for a cv.ocd to get that rack space back.

MMT-8 through a converter
Renoise through a converter
ORCA into a converter

I considered the nerdseq but i hated using lsdj because of the game boy controls being tedious and i would rather use renoise and use my keyboard if i am going to do tracker sequencing.

I cant speak on the others you mentioned.
dekemcculo
i am NOT an expert, im sure more experienced ppl will jump in here altho i believe theres been a couple similar threads before so a search might help u out too, but heres some of my thoughts

it depends what u wanna do, and your preferred workflow. i recently watched POB’s kith ruina vid and heard him talk on podular modcast about how he likes the octone as a performative mixer - fairly basic 8 step with individual gates and some quantization options, but it obviously works for him.

theres always really random (turing machine) reined in with a quantizer (or anything thru a s&h and quantizer lol)

theres always the nlc bindubba which is like a less computery rene :p

i found a step sequencer very uninspiring and found the randomness aspects of popcorn (the sequencer i had) the best part which made it feel like it was taking too much of my attention. Instead of going the turing maching direction, i went with teletype which has the tracker style sequencer as well as random, quantization, etc but its mostly focused around creating “scenes” of interraction which i find more interesting, but that being said i have not 100% figured it out yet and it definitely seems to take some work and rewards a very different workflow than one you’d describe as a traditional “sequencer”. i imagine for a bigger system than mine it could also pair well with other sequencers as something to act as a brain spreading cv and gates around a system... anyways thats the solution ive found for now seriously, i just don't get it
snadge
Maybe consider Orthogonal Devices ER101/2 combo also, extremely powerful and intuitive, I also find it far easier to get 'funky' with it compared to any other I have used, you can also import midi files (write to sd card) and also record from DAW or keyboard using midi to CV.
Heliophile
The NerdSeq can't be beaten. It's far more powerful than any other sequencers I know of. And it may be much more intuitive than you think!
Alphaman
the damn moog mother 32 and nothing else.
ipnoteca
frap tools USTA is on my radar

Sanys
i enjoy cirklon and dont see any competitor in eurorack yet.
er-101 seems rather twisted, isnt it?
insoul8
Aside from the Cirklon, I think the ER-101/102 is probably one of the the most flexible sequencers in eurorack. Granted, i don't have the nerdseq but it also seems like it would be right up there. I have a cirklon and 101/102 though. Both have a pretty unique workflow that might not be for everyone.
mdoudoroff
No such thing as overall/generic “best”—all have tradeoffs. More a question of which will do what you need them to do, which tradeoffs you can live with, and most importantly, which have a workflow that works for you. Super personal.

It’s not hard to locate all the candidates, at least in terms of the more elaborate sequencers you seem to be considering. Here’s a handy table:

http://doudoroff.com/sequencers/

Unfortunately, there’s no way to really sort them out except by reading manuals, watching lots of videos, etc. Or you can start buying, trying and selling them off, which is an approach I experimented with (without great success*).

*in my case, the answer wound up being “none of the above”. For now, I use simpler sequencers, some of them external. At this time, the only Eurorack sequencer I would consider is the Vector. But I’m not you.
cackland
Orthogonal Devices +1
Nidopallium
mdoudoroff wrote:

It’s not hard to locate all the candidates, at least in terms of the more elaborate sequencers you seem to be considering. Here’s a handy table:

http://doudoroff.com/sequencers/

I don’t think anybody has read my mind so well and guven ne something before I could even ask since I discovered Ikea sold ice creams at the exit when I was hot and tired.
Sanys
insoul8 wrote:
Aside from the Cirklon, I think the ER-101/102 is probably one of the the most flexible sequencers in eurorack. Granted, i don't have the nerdseq but it also seems like it would be right up there. I have a cirklon and 101/102 though. Both have a pretty unique workflow that might not be for everyone.

Thx I will keep an eye on it
insoul8
Sanys wrote:
insoul8 wrote:

Thx I will keep an eye on it

This is a great series on the 101/102- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEDfBgC1tAomRytBkuaCU9mrbL5V4LX Tu
hyena
i love my og rené (monophonic yes, but with all the logic operators goodness at its place ;D ) and use also kria on monome grid + ansible.
i'm looking forward to Usta given the huge amount of features (i had the opportunity to try a prototype and the user experience is also great) and the user interface.

i think other great complex ones include stillson hammer mk2 by IME, nerdseq by xor electronics and the er-101\102 combo by orthogonal devices (i have the er-301 and it's an holy grail of a module so i'd expect the same amount of awesomeness from its sequencer).

i think i'll go for Usta when it's out there but keep my other ones as well.
Sanys
insoul8 wrote:
This is a great series on the 101/102- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEDfBgC1tAomRytBkuaCU9mrbL5V4LX Tu

will dive into it right now
Zymos
Totally subjective of course.
But Vector is really the best. cool
2disbetter
In terms of what is most capable I submit Expert Sleepers FH-2.

Because it can act a host or client it means that ANYTHING with can send MIDI via USB works with it. This means you can use whatever software or hardware sequencer you can think of with it. It is also able to use both usb ports simultaneously. Meaning you could half your jacks for sequencing and the other half as a midi to cv converter for your Roli, Keystep, etc.

The FH-2 supports up to 64 jacks which can be CV, Gate, or triggers. A solution that allows your sequencing needs to expand, and permits a sequencer that is not cramped or squished into a eurorack module.

If that is not a concern then I highly recommend the OD ER-101/2 combo or the 1010 Toolbox.
advrsry
mdoudoroff wrote:
*in my case, the answer wound up being “none of the above”. For now, I use simpler sequencers, some of them external. At this time, the only Eurorack sequencer I would consider is the Vector. But I’m not you.

What disqualified the OD101/102 for you?
robotsounds
I have been getting into the Intellijel Metropolis lately. Different sequencers tend to suit different styles sometimes I think.
mdoudoroff
advrsry wrote:

Workflow. Dialing numbers into a “form” is tedious to me. I find it hard to keep track of the overall sequences (four of them!) in my head. I had the ER-101/102 for almost two years, but I found myself avoiding them. They are unquestionably capable modules, but not a good fit for me.
insoul8
mdoudoroff wrote:
advrsry wrote:

Workflow. Dialing numbers into a “form” is tedious to me. I find it hard to keep track of the overall sequences (four of them!) in my head. I had the ER-101/102 for almost two years, but I found myself avoiding them. They are unquestionably capable modules, but not a good fit for me.

What ended up being your cup of tea?
mdoudoroff
insoul8 wrote:
What ended up being your cup of tea?

I’m currently using a Koma Komplex, a Metamorph, and (sometimes) a Rene1 in conjunction with a gate sequencer and O&C. Sinfonion inbound. I’ve got an FH-2 and may play around with DAW-based sequencing. Or not. Also eyeing the Vector, but no immediate plans. My first plan is to see how far I can get with the Sinfonion and all these “basic” CV sequencers. This approach appeals more to me than conforming/contorting myself within the hermetic world of these more monolithic pitch+gate sequencers. That said, change is a constant.
Daisuk
Got a Squarp Hermod on the way, and got high hopes for it. Squarp Pyramid is probably the best midi sequencer I've used. Only a bit worried about the tiny screen and only 8 buttons, although the workflow should remedy those.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4