MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

(VIDEO) Melodies on a Buchla 200e - Yes!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author (VIDEO) Melodies on a Buchla 200e - Yes!
djangosfire
Wanted to show an example of melodic possibilities on a Buchla 200e. This a focus on the concept of pitched transpositions (not the tone of the patch this time).

Modules used:

Buchla 251e, 223e, 281e, 292e, 206e
Studio H: 258e & Control and Signal Router

A few notes on the pitch aspects of the patch:

- 258e is tracking 1.2v/oct
- 251e is tuned to play octaves
- the 223e is tuned to play a Major scale
- the Studio H Control and Signal Router is mixing and buffering the all of the CV into the 258e

Repeatable, pitch tracking on a Buchla 200e is possible, and sounds amazing! Once you set up a patch like this.. anything is possible.

More later - Thank you, Djangosfire

Fuzz
Good to have you back!
sensanalog
Nice demo Adam! This increases my lust for a 200e system even more. So good!
corkyburger
Nice. I have had some success with melodic material on my Buchla, though mainly using Midi.

I recently got a 251e and have been exploring creating melodic sequences free of Midi. I managed to get all 4 oscillators (Primary and mod of my 259e and 261e) tuned and tracking pretty good with the 251e, but there are inconsistencies with the tracking that require lots of fine tuning across all 4. Not too annoying as the results are worth it. The other day though i switched my Buchla on and loaded up my preset and it seemed like all my tuning was out. Not sure how this happened.

I just created two pieces for Buchla and Windchime where I filled the 251e with a selection of notes matching the notes of the windchime, and then used S&H mode to randomly address those notes. Sort of like the Source of Uncertainty playing the role of an electronic breeze! Hope to release those later this year.
askthedust
I’m working on a show for Synthfest France next June based on 200e melodic sequences stored in the 251e. It wouldn’t have been possible without the 258e.h
mritenburg
Lovely!

When did they start building 251e's with green 8-segment displays? My 251e has gold 8-segment displays. I like the green.
mathomas
mritenburg wrote:
Lovely!

When did they start building 251e's with green 8-segment displays? My 251e has gold 8-segment displays. I like the green.

I bought mine last November and it’s green. Several people have commented on it. I never even noticed. My color discrimination/vision sucks, so I kind of ignore colors until they really matter, and then I suffer a bit.
Ozz
This is great! thanks again for sharing Djangosfire.
Rex Coil 7
I am stupid-new to this entire archetype of synthesis. I didn't know getting simple things such as pitched/scales from one of these units was such an achievement.

Obviously I could use some instruction.

Member *djangosfire I dig your avatar, I saw that movie when I was about 10 or 12 (I'm 58).

oops oops
weinglas
I really missed your Buchla explorations. Love it.
Glad to have you back at electronic music we're not worthy
Igorianych
Hooray!
I missed your videos, and this video is brilliant
What kind of module that looks like 210 on steroids?
Minimoog56
Adam is back! Yay. Muffs rebirth.
mathomas
Igorianych wrote:
Hooray!

I missed Adam's videos, too.

I gushed some about the "new 210e" in this message, then decided I shouldn't trample on Adam's thread, so it's gone now.
djangosfire
@Fuzz - Thank you!

@sensanalog - Thank you, I appreciate that . . . but don’t blame me for your gear lust wink

@corkyburger - I LOVE your idea/concept of the Buchla/Winchime.. awesome! Can’t wait to hear your work when its ready to share smile

@askthedust - I know what you mean.. for me the 258e is a winner with my 200e system. It really gets the classic 200 tones and allows for full use of the 200e preset manager. I still plan to add a 261e to my system… the 259e (for me and my style of patching) is an amazing modulation source, but I will always gravitate to the more analog offerings.

@mritenburg - I “just” bought this 251e new from Eric at Foxtone (HUGE thank you to Eric BTW) .. pretty sure its the most current build/run.

@Ozz - Cheers!

@Rex Coil 7 - Quatermass and the Pit" (aka "Five Million Miles to Earth") Used to play randomly on the local sunday afternoon monster movie tv show when I was a kid... used to scare the crap out of me! Still a great bit of sci-fi. So getting pitched tones from a 200e has always been possible - the trick is finding the way that works for YOU! I have always loved the fact that there are so many different ways to achieve the same audio result on a Buchla.... many times this means we have to throw out what we thought was a "standard" way to get a patch working. To some, this ism too much work.. but I enjoy the challenge... and many time, this leads to stunning patches and new ideas smile

@Virusinstaller - Cheers!

@weinglas - Thank you brother smile

@Igorianych - Thank you! I'm glad to have a little spare time to devote to Buchla and electronic music... I had to take a break and focus on other music for a while (solo acoustic finger-style, Delta Blues and slide guitar) - That is a Studio H "Control and Signal Router" module... and it is SO NICE to have a 200e compatible module for solid, jitter-free, reliable CV patch recall.. this allows for pitch scaling/offset that can be tailored to work with most any Buchla oscillator to bring out repeatable pitches (be they melodic or otherwise).

@Minimoog56 - Cheers my friend smile

@Mathomas - Thank you, glad to have time to patch again smile Hey.. please do gush! These threads are for us to share and learn from.

Cheers! - Adam
mathomas
Igorianych wrote:
Hooray!

Gushing: it is *exactly* a 210e on steroids, from Studio.H. Number one: DIRECT MANIPULATION OF MATRIX NODES. No more missing your dogdamn node and having to click around the dogdamn thing again to select the right one! (And maybe missing again!). Suddenly the 210e is performance friendly. Well, not actively performance hostile, anyway.

Multi-select, including across matrices (audio and CV). Mute and solo of selections. Randomization of levels/scaling of selections, row and column selections.

And ... fixes a lot, if not all of the original 210e’s bugaboos (dithering/jitter) because the mixing/scaling in this one IS ANALOG.

Fully supports presets. Win win win.

One small downside: 7 inputs rather than 8. Whatever.
mathomas
djangosfire wrote:

@Mathomas - Thank you, glad to have time to patch again smile Hey.. please do gush! These threads are for us to share and learn from.

Cheers! - Adam

Thanks! Gushed above :-)

There’s a story behind me backing off originally. I used to be very active on one of the photography forums. One of the admins posted a thread where he reviewed a photo bag. It was a well-done review, and people asked some questions, as they do. I’d happened to do a video review of the same bag, so commented by adding my video to the thread, along with some text content.

A few hours later I got a PM from the admin that had posted the review, wherein he lambasted me for “trundling over” his review thread. I responded with something like, “Oh sorry. I guess I’m confused, though — isn’t this a forum, where we share info about the stuff we use, and isn’t your thread about a certain bag, and isn’t my video review about that same bag, and did I say anything at all bad about your text review? Wasn’t I just adding to the discussion?”

He basically wouldn’t back down and stayed completely crotchety about it and there may have been some veiled threats about my future with the forum, but eventually he “let me off with a warning”. Very weird.

So, I didn’t expect at all that you’d be the same, but that experience did stick with me, and I’ve wondered if I was wrong in that instance by some measure, so decided to just keep it quiet and let you answer the questions asked.

Thanks for NOT being like that guy! we're not worthy
pertiet
Thanks for the vid!!
Especially interested in the 210
mathomas
pertiet wrote:
Thanks for the vid!!

I’ve posted a couple of short/simple vids to my Instagram:

http://www.instagram.com/mathomas62

More to come...
pertiet
mathomas wrote:
pertiet wrote:
Thanks for the vid!!

I’ve posted a couple of short/simple vids to my Instagram:

http://www.instagram.com/mathomas62

More to come...

Thanks - having a look right now
Rex Coil 7
mathomas wrote:
djangosfire wrote:

Cheers! - Adam

Thanks! Gushed above :-)

There’s a story behind me backing off originally. I used to be very active on one of the photography forums. One of the admins posted a thread where he reviewed a photo bag. It was a well-done review, and people asked some questions, as they do. I’d happened to do a video review of the same bag, so commented by adding my video to the thread, along with some text content.

A few hours later I got a PM from the admin that had posted the review, wherein he lambasted me for “trundling over” his review thread. I responded with something like, “Oh sorry. I guess I’m confused, though — isn’t this a forum, where we share info about the stuff we use, and isn’t your thread about a certain bag, and isn’t my video review about that same bag, and did I say anything at all bad about your text review? Wasn’t I just adding to the discussion?”

He basically wouldn’t back down and stayed completely crotchety about it and there may have been some veiled threats about my future with the forum, but eventually he “let me off with a warning”. Very weird.

So, I didn’t expect at all that you’d be the same, but that experience did stick with me, and I’ve wondered if I was wrong in that instance by some measure, so decided to just keep it quiet and let you answer the questions asked.

Thanks for NOT being like that guy! we're not worthy
Geezus .... what a punk! Not you, the over-sensitive narcissistic little baby diaper boy admin that got his undies up his crack because you were "trundling over" his precious thread/video. Some people simply cannot handle positions of power. "Let you off with a warning" .... oh please .... "a warning" .... really then! Yup, in a previous life and career field of mine, a fella of that ilk would be called "badge heavy".

He probably got his ass kicked daily in high school and had his lunch money taken away by bullies, so later in life (as in ~now~) he's getting even with Karma now by wielding his almightyness and satisfying his need to seize control over others.

Yup, know the type quite well.

From what I can tell, your presence in this subforum has been missed and those that take part in this subforum are happy to see your return!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
anomie
Excellent video, not just for the patch, but for showing how great Doug Clauder's stuff is. Using the 258 is a little bittersweet for me - it's a great osc, but it really shows up how poor the CV tracking is in, say, the 259e. If only Doug would think about a Studio H version of that...

Thanks for posting Adam - it's great to hear pitched stuff on Buchla!
Default1
Hi everyone, I am resurrecting this thread to ask if it is possible to to get the mod oscillator on a 261e or a 259e to accurately track pitches coming directly from the 225e MIDI decoder.

I am working on a track, and had a spare mod osc and channel on the quad dynamics manager, so wanted to add in a bass line. So far: no good. The tracking falls off after a few notes.

I know its been discussed at length that the MIDI bus is the way to get accurate pitch tracking. But all my MIDI busses are used up at this stage. I was hoping not to have to resort to another synth... and make a pure 200e piece.

Then, Djangosfire posts this video and I got excited that maybe I too could make it happen. But perhaps this is just that the 258e has been designed to track accurately and the 261e has not. Please let me know if I can make this baby track. Its a great sounding oscillator by itself, and it seems a waste to allow it to lie silent coz it won't pitch accurately.

Thanks
dougcl
Default1 wrote:
Please let me know if I can make this baby track. Its a great sounding oscillator by itself, and it seems a waste to allow it to lie silent coz it won't pitch accurately.

The Studio H CSR (Control and Signal Router) shown in the top row in Adam's video can attenuate CV and also boost to ~1.2x. What this means is that you can send your pitch CV through it and tune each oscillator (column) to each CV source (row). Once tuned, long press of the CSR encoder saves the tuned value for easy recall (called up by short press of the encoder).

With this you can either run a number of oscillators in unison with a single CV source, tuned to the particulars of the CV source (in this case the 251e)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8M-k-BqyV/

or you can have multiple CV sources, each with different characteristics (in this case the 251e and the 250e with quantizer), running in tune with multiple oscillators.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx8VE9LhszL/

Of course transpose of two different CV sources also works, once individually tuned in the CSR.

Haven't tried this on the 225e, yet, but all that is needed is a CV source that is linear. Doesn't matter if it is 1.2v/oct or not.

Doug
Default1
Hey Doug!

Thanks so much for writing back! So, to clarify...

The e series oscillators will track accurately at 1.2 v per octave. But the issue with buchla is that the control voltages outputted by the sequencers (and presumably the 225) tend to be inaccurate. The CSR can fix this as long as the error is linear. So... Presumably CSR could convert 1.0 v per octave to buchla format too!

Am definitely now interested in the CSR.

Presumably this would also mean the CSR could make any equal temperament scale! So, you could have 24 TET... Yes?

Is there any way to make it quantize to non equal temperament?

Thanks
Degault1
dougcl
Default1 wrote:

The e series oscillators will track accurately at 1.2 v per octave.

I don't think anyone is claiming that smile

I think it is true that both the 259e and the 261e are slightly less than 1.2V/oct so some attenuation is needed. The amount of attenuation is not the same for each though.

Default1 wrote:

the control voltages output by the sequencers (and presumably the 225) tend to be inaccurate.

I think the 251e is okay, but the 250e quantizer is slightly different. I understand the 225e CV is off but I have not tried it. In any case it doesn't matter because the CSR can compensate for each source separately, provided you dedicate a matrix row to each one.

Default1 wrote:

Presumably CSR could convert 1.0 v per octave to buchla format too!

Yes this should be possible.

Default1 wrote:

Presumably this would also mean the CSR could make any equal temperament scale! So, you could have 24 TET... Yes?

Is there any way to make it quantize to non equal temperament?

Each CSR node is a simple attenuator (or boost), so you can compress the range (24 TET) or stretch it. You can, for example, use it to convert the voltage range switches on the 250e to octave switches.

I think three things make the CSR well suited for tuning.
1) Each node represents a CV/oscillator pairing, so you can adjust for each possible combination individually. You can then sum the sources together to transpose, if desired.
2) The encoder allows for fine tuning and might be nicer to deal with than the oscillator attenuverters.
3) The tuned node values can be saved into memory (encoder long press) for recall (encoder short press), and the values are applicable across all the presets. So you don't have to sync up a bunch of presets. Just press the encoder to pull up the tuned value no matter what preset you are in.

Hope this helps.
Doug
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2