MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best audio editor for creating perfect loops?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Best audio editor for creating perfect loops?
wminor
I'm in the market for a standalone audio editor. Free would be great, but I'm happy to pay a bit for the right program. Cross platform would be great, but I mostly use OS X these days so if it only works on there that's okay. Linux only would be alright as well.

My main use case is chopping up longer recordings that come from my modular to create sample packs. I work with loops a fair bit, so the ability to set a bpm and create a perfect loop at that bpm is one of the main requirements for me. I've looked at a bunch of programs but none of them seem to mention having this feature, and I've not been able to find it in any of their manuals.

I know that I can do this in a DAW (it's what I've been doing for a while now) but I'd really like to find something more focused and lightweight for this if possible.

What audio editors are you all using for this kind of thing?
robkramble
Check out Myriad by AudioFile Engineering. I honestly only use it for batch normalizing and renaming of samples, but I know it can do a lot more than that, and it seems pretty lightweight and peppy.
JohnLRice
WaveLab Elements maybe? Not free ($99) but really great, cross platform, and 30 day free trial.
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/wavelab/version_comparison/wavel ab_elements.html
mt3
AudioFinder.
mritenburg
Audacity? It's cross-platform and free.
Umcorps
DSP-Quattro is my go to editor for loop creation.

Has a dedicated loop window showing start and end points to sample level detail. Also, once you get to know the software, you can do most everything via key commands which speeds everything up.

Has a decent batch processor too.
wminor
Sweet, thanks for all the responses. Will check these all out... except Audacity, which I'm afraid I've just never got on well with seriously, i just don't get it

Particularly interested in DSP Quattro cos I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts and the advanced looping thing sounds ace!
CF3
I haven’t found one that does it all yet.

I use:
DSP Quattro
Wave Editor
Recycle
Myriad
Izotope RX7
among others...

They all are missing key bits, but do specific things really well.
My main one is DSP Quattro. Version 4.4, I’m not crazy about the new version 5. For just quickly chopping stuuf into piece Recycle is hard to beat. Myriad is nice but a prefer the older Wave Editor.
jimfowler
Another vote for DSQ Quattro but I agree that V5 isn’t as easy to use as V4
Monofunk
The graphical interface for Audacity is tough. I want to like it but struggle with it.

DSP Quattro V4 is a easier to work with.
tomnicholson
Adobe Audition is great but last time I checked it wasn't possible to buy it, only to sign up for some cloud, pay monthly rubbish.
wminor
tomnicholson wrote:
Adobe Audition is great but last time I checked it wasn't possible to buy it, only to sign up for some cloud, pay monthly rubbish.

Yep, I won't use any of the Adobe Creative suite for that reason (among others).
JollyB
I suggest Ardour or Audacity both great and open source!

Rockin' Banana!
Scories
With Audacity, I like to copy a loop twice and make a 'repair' at the end of the first loop. Then I delete the 2nd loop.
That's how I get glitch-free loops.
alexander92
Oscillicious BeatCleaver is a good slicer, unsure how it handles long audio takes
alexander92
CF3 wrote:
I haven’t found one that does it all yet.

I use:
DSP Quattro
Wave Editor
Recycle
Myriad
Izotope RX7
among others...

They all are missing key bits, but do specific things really well.
My main one is DSP Quattro. Version 4.4, I’m not crazy about the new version 5. For just quickly chopping stuuf into piece Recycle is hard to beat. Myriad is nice but a prefer the older Wave Editor.

On which version of OSX do you run dsp quattro if i may ask?
Funky40
Umcorps wrote:
DSP-Quattro is my go to editor for loop creation.

i´m running the Demo right now ( no time limits, NO save functionality)

loop to BPM: manual, page 78
wink

edit: i open a own thread and ask there
here if anybody wants to chim in: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3053697#3053697
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1