MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Linux for audio, is it a good idea?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Linux for audio, is it a good idea?
rosch
Hi.... I've been using a windows machine with Ableton Suite for about a year now, still a newbie, but i like it. I've always been hardware diy, still am but not so strict anymore obviously.
I have an older laptop and i'm wondering is Linux in audio like always, i.e. everything there, but i just don't know it?
I have some plugins that are only available for win and macOS but i have the suspicion Linux should have its own version of it all too....

Is that true? Any recommendations regarding DAWs? I know Reaper but recently seen Bitwig.
Any recommendation / tips regarding Linux and audio would be great, as I will at the very least put it on that laptop again and use audacity when i go on holiday in May to edit fieldrecordings i'm going to make.
Citisyn
This is something I've been seriously looking into myself. If you like the Ableton workflow, Bitwig would be a good choice. For a more Pro Tool like workflow, Ardour looks like a good option.

As for plugins, there are a few companies that provide native Linux builds, as well as some free/open source alternatives. A pretty good list is available here: http://linux-sound.org/linux-vst-plugins.html. There is also the possibility of using a wrapper like LinVST or airwave to run Windows VSTs, but that's not guaranteed to work with everything.

Anyway, this is all just theoretical for me. I'm sure there are some folks on here actually using Linux for music production. Hopefully they'll chime in...
rjungemann
Sure, give it a shot. Make sure you get a distro with the realtime kernel to prevent hiccups. Ubuntu Studio is a good start. There's actually some nice things about it, such as being able to route audio between applications using Jack, and there are some VSTs available now, like Pianoteq.

And DAW-wise, there's Bitwig, Tracktion, Renoise, Ardour. Studio One and Reaper work through Wine for sure, among others. Plenty of other good apps too, like, PureData—there's a version with a new UI called Purr Data, or the vanilla distribution now has a package manager. I've had fun with ChucK, SuperCollider, and LilyPond too for various things.
scozbor
Not sure if you need to worry about the realtime kernel anymore?

I'm running a default install of Ubuntu with bitwig/renoise/jack/vcv rack/Airwave VST wrapper.

Everything runs great with the exception of some VSTs through Airwave. LinVST might be better but I have felt no need to try it.

Jack is a total game changer for someone coming from a windoze background.

I highly recommend you give it a go!
rosch
Thanks for the tips! This is great info.
powertran
I'll have a wee rant here.A while back I was running Renoise on a Dell netbook on Ubuntu.
Best midi sequencer I ever used. Pattern chaining? Why waste your time. Easily rebuilt. Easy to save sequences as a portable file. I only used it to trigger five synths (on different midi channels) and to record in real time. Consider Linux as as dedicated midi sequencer.
RandomSynthGuy
Tracktion recently released their newest version of their Linux-compatible DAW, Waveform 10. You can give that a look too.
gminorcoles
I used linux for a few weeks then I kept discovering more VSTs that I wanted to play but would only run on Windows or Mac. So I bailed. It makes me sad because linux makes the most sense.
JollyB
Linux can offer loads of opportunities, definitely go for it! SlayerBadger!
It's free, and sometimes being a bit wild is good for creativity.
I'd sudgest a Realtime kernel, it helps for Audio production, but don't see it as mandatory.. if your job scheduling is not tight I think you can have a nice and smooth workflow also with the std linux kernel.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1