MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Idea for a compact 2 player system
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Idea for a compact 2 player system
chrisdermo
Since I read about this Serge album and saw this picture I kind of fell in love with the idea of a self contained two player modular synth.

Which got me thinking that 2 of the 11fw frames with the dual end cheeks could make for a neat way of pulling it off in Bug land.

I had thought maybe one person should be responsible for rhythms while the other is more focused on "melody" (albeit non standard tuning), but then thought perhaps both parties would want an element of each. So I came up with the below out of modules I currently have available.
Wondering if I could build mixer functionality into one of the end cheeks (Bill's tiny mixer pcbs) to free up 2 more fw.



Looking for ideas of things you'd miss as a player of this system and would swap out modules for others. Could be anything!

Top (upside down) row - rhythmic player:
Dual Envelope, Dual Filter, CVCO, Bugcrusher, Le Seq, Weevil, Joystick/Touch

Bottom row - 'melodic' player
Touchplates / seq, 2 x CVCO, SV Filter, Wavefolder, Dual VCA, PT Delay, Dual mixer
lud
I love that Serge album, the music on it is so sweet!
Looks like a great little system, would love to try doing something like this.

First reaction, personally I *might* like to have a bit more on the table - maybe a three rower divided in half or even four so the players could generate more layers and have a bit more flexibility. Or could just add my DRM 1X to that and I'd be happy for a gig.

Nice thread!
chrisdermo
I did think about 3 or 4 rows, and do like that idea a lot, but I also (neglected to say) I wanted this to be a battery powered system - 2 framer works with a rechargable laptop battery!
I also worry that 2 rows per person could contribute to an absolute mess of sound and less cohesion between. Though with practice that wouldn't be a problem. Dunno!

Would love to see other peoples ideas on a 2 player system! What would you need in the system? nanners
lud
Take 2 batteries! nanners

Has le seq a built in clock?

Your proposed set up looks fun, I'd like to have DDSR in there and one of Tom's new dividers when they're out (and the logic).
Guess I could tack on a 5fw boat for that?!
+ attach a DRM on the other side.

I think the bottom row needs an envelope, can you use one from the top?
chrisdermo
lud wrote:
Take 2 batteries! nanners

Has le seq a built in clock?

Your proposed set up looks fun, I'd like to have DDSR in there and one of Tom's new dividers when they're out (and the logic).
Guess I could tack on a 5fw boat for that?!
+ attach a DRM on the other side.

I think the bottom row needs an envelope, can you use one from the top?


True (2 batteries).....
le seq has a built in clock yeah, but I'd use one of the weevil channels as clock master probably. Good to have the option though. A 1fw divider and Logic would be great additions.
A single envelope would be good too! I did imagine using one from the top and having mostly pinged filter percussion going on up there with option for oscillator rhythms.
2 batteries could expand the system to 2x16fw nicely...
chrisdermo
Given our discussion and a recent trade I've switched out an oscillator for a CLK2A on the rhythmic side. Thinking about it, I do like the idea of having one row each, I reckon it'd promote the idea of 2 people working as one unit, if each person had 2 rows there's greater opportunity for each to work entirely independently of each other. Something about the idea for me is grounded in simplicity I guess, kind of like the thought 'If I had another pair of hands right now I could do some awesome tweaking to this patch!'. Dunno. Gonna try this out soon!

nikfrisbee



please excuse the rough sketched image.
My understanding of Will & Kalima Sawyer system was two vertical tkb and x3 horizontal panels. I like this idea/approach, over the back to back layout as this encourages the middle modular section to be shared, but leaving individual control over the tkb sequencer.

With that in mind and my poor understanding of the frac format, and unfamiliarity of the bugs system. I like the idea of 3 by 8 horizontal controlling the sequencing = tkb and vertical panels to match the width of the vertical sequencer. Panel width on the bugs system is a lot more flexible and could be any width come to think about it.

The Sawyer system had to utilise two small end containers to compensate for the extra panel width.
chrisdermo
nikfrisbee wrote:



please excuse the rough sketched image.
My understanding of Will & Kalima Sawyer system was two vertical tkb and x3 horizontal panels. I like this idea/approach, over the back to back layout as this encourages the middle modular section to be shared, but leaving individual control over the tkb sequencer.

With that in mind and my poor understanding of the frac format, and unfamiliarity of the bugs system. I like the idea of 3 by 8 horizontal controlling the sequencing = tkb and vertical panels to match the width of the vertical sequencer. Panel width on the bugs system is a lot more flexible and could be any width come to think about it.

The Sawyer system had to utilise two small end containers to compensate for the extra panel width.


Yeah that's neat, I love the idea of dual control over a shared set of utilities! And also reminded us all of the abandoned red mini sequencer of yesteryear! cry
chrisdermo
Ok so I messed around with this idea a lot today..... and I this is where I've ended up. Going to try teach a few people modular synthesis with this set up in the hope to record some collaborative performances!



I figured the 2bit binmux will make a nice sequencing addition - gestural with the joystick/touch with the option of automatic stage selection via the other sequencing bits. I'm loving the weevil again lately - such a deep module for timbre even just modulating itself!
otoskope
As I already said on insta - love this idea! I'd think maybe a 2x16FW could work too - you can prolong the 11FW frames with a 5FW.

I'd love to play like this. Starting to think about how to set something like this up. Inspiring!

And I need to look for that old Serge album!
chrisdermo
otoskope wrote:
As I already said on insta - love this idea! I'd think maybe a 2x16FW could work too - you can prolong the 11FW frames with a 5FW.

I'd love to play like this. Starting to think about how to set something like this up. Inspiring!

And I need to look for that old Serge album!


I will almost certainly expand this to 2x16 in the end, but for the purpose of teaching a few people that don't make music at all how to patch there's quite a lot going on already :-).
If it was two of me playing I'd definitely be going to 2 x 16! It's peanut butter jelly time!
otoskope
This teaching idea is really very nice! You must tell us how it goes.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group