MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Convert 1/4" jacks to banana on reds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Convert 1/4" jacks to banana on reds
Vcoadsr
Hi everyone,

I've noticed that the 1/4" jacks on the stand alone reds have discrete PCBs that are then connected to the main board via cables. As I use my Bugbrand system independently/self contained I was wondering if it's possible to replace the 1/4" jacks with bananas?

I made some of those 1/4"-banana jack converters but would prefer just simple banana sockets if possible.
phisynth
Vcoadsr wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've noticed that the 1/4" jacks on the stand alone reds have discrete PCBs that are then connected to the main board via cables. As I use my Bugbrand system independently/self contained I was wondering if it's possible to replace the 1/4" jacks with bananas?

I made some of those 1/4"-banana jack converters but would prefer just simple banana sockets if possible.

Yeah, I wanted to that as well, should be pretty simple but the problem is the holes for the jacks are much bigger than those for bananas, so I didn't came up with a nice solution unfortunately
tIB
Think the 1/4 inch are balanced too...
BugBrand
Well there are somewhat different approaches in play with the reds - though, yeah, the lines can be blurry sometimes..
Outputs typically could be treated identically. Inputs typically just have a preamp stage to bring any line signal up to regular amplitudes.
I've sometimes used 1/4" to banana cables in a pinch, but am generally fine working with the reds as more like out-board.
BugBrand
tIB wrote:
Think the 1/4 inch are balanced too...

Impedance balanced so you just want TIP connection.
Ring is just connected to signal 0V via a fixed resistor.
Vcoadsr
Thanks for the info.

The size of the holes from 1/4" jacks is the biggest problem to figure out, I'll have a think.
BugBrand
Search for 'Should Washer'
tIB
What size is the hole for the 1/4 inch~10mm? You'll need 8mm (internal) for the bananas. You might find some red shoulder washers...
BugBrand
1/4" socket holes are 0.4" so a 10mm outer diameter is ideal.
You could potentially cover such nylon washers with acrylic paint perhaps? Don't think I ever saw 'interesting' colours.
tIB
Wondered whether they could be dyed though saw pics of red on Google... not sure how available they are.
chrisdermo
I may be wrong but I believe Batchas switched the jack input on his DRM1 for a nana?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7164xSyVI0s

but there it looks totally flush with the panel!
Kafgee
Miley Cyrus My pt delay was the old version with cv input jack Tom switched it
Vcoadsr
BugBrand wrote:
1/4" socket holes are 0.4" so a 10mm outer diameter is ideal.
You could potentially cover such nylon washers with acrylic paint perhaps? Don't think I ever saw 'interesting' colours.

Perfect! Thanks
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1