MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Advanced Envelator patches
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Advanced Envelator patches
addendum
Does anyone know the patches that simulate either or both of the following behaviours in the Envelator?

1. Retrigger during the Attack stage

2. Reset to zero Volts upon the transition from the active Decay stage to a new Attack stage (so that the Attack stage starts from zero, not from the level of the Decay stage before the transition, which results in overly slurred sounds in many applications)

I didn't get to use my system for quite a while and I won't, soon again, so it would be nice to refresh my memory while I can. I seem to recall knowing those patches but if that's true, I forgot them. I may post some incomplete approaches later.
addendum
Two classic patching tips I do remember from that context:

3. Modifying an external clock signal's pulse width
- Patch the clock or gate signal into an Envelator's gate input.
- Set mode to AD.
- Set Decay time to minimum.
- Use the SQR output as your new clock, gate or trigger signal.
- Vary Attack time to select gate length/ pulse width.
This is the same as Grant's patch to derive a short trigger pulse from a gate signal or LFO, just explained with a slightly wider scope.

4. Isolating consecutive Sequantizer "gate" outputs from each other
- Sum all gate outputs that you want to use as a trigger or gate signal for something else. You can chain up to three of the Wiard's Multiples to do that if you have no other means. (The gate outputs are diode isolated, you won't harm your Wiard.)
- Feed the sum of that into a VCA (needs to be a fast responding one, not a lowpass gate).
- Open the VCA with the same clock or gate signal that you patch into the Sequantizer's „step“ input.
- Use the VCA output as your combined gate signal.
This way each of the Sequantizer's stages can trigger an Envelator separately, instead of once for the duration of all consecutive ones that you summed.
Navs
addendum wrote:
Does anyone know the patches that simulate either or both of the following behaviours in the Envelator?

1. Retrigger during the Attack stage

2. Reset to zero Volts upon the transition from the active Decay stage to a new Attack stage (so that the Attack stage starts from zero, not from the level of the Decay stage before the transition, which results in overly slurred sounds in many applications)

I didn't get to use my system for quite a while and I won't, soon again, so it would be nice to refresh my memory while I can. I seem to recall knowing those patches but if that's true, I forgot them. I may post some incomplete approaches later.

I don't have an Envelator any more (foolish cry ) but I'm guessing from your use of the word 'simulate' that it is part of the characteristics of the circuit that prevent, e.g. re-triggering during attack. That's why, for example, we can use these slopes as crude clock dividers. That being the case, I could imagine VC-ing the attack to be very short and thus 'complete' at the same time you want it to re-trigger. Is that what you're after?
addendum
Found my way back to patch Nr. 1. What you're mentioning is part of it, but what I had been overlooking was the need to pull up the inverted gate signal that goes into AMOD so that it's zero when the gate source is on and a positive voltage when the gate source is off. Simple maths. And the Wiard conveniently provides two different ways to do this pull-up (one uses a second (single) Envelator, the other uses the Mixolator and the joystick).
This simulation is pretty solid in that it adapts to varying gate signal lengths and works both for AR and AD mode.
The sudden change in the Attack slope may be rounded off a bit by patching the inverted and pulled up gate signal through the "AR" (actually, slew limiter; the minimum A time setting will suffice).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1