MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Who's this little fella then? (Board Chirper)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author Who's this little fella then? (Board Chirper)
DickMarker
Board Chirper
chrisdermo
Lovely! Might have to pick up one to accompany my Boardweevil2012 in the future
BugBrand
Yeah, I felt I was missing a 'board' design. Should have got it out before Christmas really - the first batch was built but took me another month to clear other things and do some (very damn basic) documentation.
cebec
Sounds incredible!
BananaPlug
Outstanding! That plus headphones, tucked in a backpack, for walks in the woods. thumbs up

Edit:
Okay, instead of headphones...

Though you might get some pushback!
ClausF
BananaPlug wrote:
Outstanding! That plus headphones, tucked in a backpack, for walks in the woods. thumbs up

- minus headphones
- plus power amp to show all these other littler chirpers what is a real chirp!
rowsbywoof
Such a cool little guy. I was tempted, but figured I'd wait for now... Had to pick up a DRM2 today, instead. smile I can see picking up one of these in the future, though.
lud
Beautiful little Chirper, no doubt even more fun with the touch points (really intrigued by their control - lovely graphics!). Sounds just as good as the original.

Is it exactly the same synth minus the banana jacks?
Kafgee
Wow!
BugBrand
lud wrote:
Beautiful little Chirper, no doubt even more fun with the touch points (really intrigued by their control - lovely graphics!). Sounds just as good as the original.

Is it exactly the same synth minus the banana jacks?

It is very similar but I had to do some distinct tweaks to get it running off a single battery. + doesn't have things like sync.

I did a pair of proto full-size chirpers with touch expanders (some might have seen pics on Instagram via Palle and MengQi) but there were design niggles I didn't like, especially on something large/expensive like that - so the small board standalone approach seemed a much more suitable place to install the touchy stuff.
lud
Glad you solved the conundrum Tom, the Board looks rad!
southphillysynths
Are similar plucky pining sounds still possible from the filter? Would anything be able to be soldered to banana jacks to modulate?
BugBrand
southphillysynths wrote:
Are similar plucky pining sounds still possible from the filter?

Absolutely!

southphillysynths wrote:
Would anything be able to be soldered to banana jacks to modulate?

I knew this would be asked! I don't really recommend connecting external machines (go for the proper Chirper!) and said that on the instruction sheet. Sure there'd be ways, but... as always I design for the specific purpose and this one was for portable exploritations.
BugBrand
Some minimal descriptive ideas on touchplates & combinations (not that I know them all by any stretch!) - there are some small labels on the back:::

Each OSC has four plates:
- on the outside the one above the other are square-wave (SQR) output on top and triangle (TRI) wave below
- the next block in is the CV input - try touching an osc output (either osc) back into this.
- the most central block for each connects to the comparator input (COMP)of each oscillator. Really it just seemed like an interesting node to allow access to!

The Filter has 8 plates:
- the lowest two are Filter CV (similar to Osc CV) on the right side and Filter Input on the left side. The good thing with the input is that you can turn down the Drive control (yellow knob) to mute input to the filter and then touch a signal across to the input.
- the other plates are inputs and outputs for each filter stage - Lo/Band/Hi outs and points to their input summers (labeled eg BPND = bandpass NODE)

The two triangular plates connect to V+ and V- (via current limit resistors) - the theory was that touching these along with one of the CV inputs would raise or low the section but I don't think it quite works like that in practice.
- the centre square connects to 0V and might be useful for muting certain parts or otherwise mutating behaviours.
BananaPlug
something wonderful
Breaking radio silence to bring you this message.
Board Chirper emanations have been detected. This may not be a test.
Threat or menace? Analysis suggests three pedals also involved.
>LISTEN<
Kafgee
I cannot listen to the link seriously, i just don't get it
BananaPlug
I've fixed the server. The formerly broken link is working. It's peanut butter jelly time!
chrisdermo
BananaPlug wrote:
something wonderful
Breaking radio silence to bring you this message.
Board Chirper emanations have been detected. This may not be a test.
Threat or menace? Analysis suggests three pedals also involved.
>LISTEN<

The bit at 03:21 is pure sci fi coded message in space. Nice recording! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1