Buchla USA announces Red Panel

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

nohsodesu
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nohsodesu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:38 am

Hey Todd -
Great overview of the 158. :yay:
It's especially good to have the background included - test equipment ruled the studio back then.
Nice to make the connection.
Thanks.

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 pm

nohsodesu wrote:Hey Todd -
Great overview of the 158. :yay:
It's especially good to have the background included - test equipment ruled the studio back then.
Nice to make the connection.
Thanks.
Thanks so much Bob! I’m delighted that you enjoyed the connection!
There’s more ahead too...I’ve created a YouTube playlist where I’ll collect my demos and tutorials. Four to start with:

Best wishes,
Todd

Common Wiggler

Post by 01235813 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:49 am

Awesome videos Todd.

Man this is getting tempting. :party:

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:45 am

ix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ix » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:01 am

super demos and i think it all highlights quality over quantity , my only concern is now that Buchla is involved they will price these relative to their other designs and prices so as to not undermine the Buchla brand at some price point.

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

Just posted this, enjoy!

[video][/video]

nohsodesu
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nohsodesu » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:58 am

WOW!
So good :party:

Siren
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Siren » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:16 pm

That was pretty amazing...such a brutal sound.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:35 pm

Foxtone prices...

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Siren wrote:That was pretty amazing...such a brutal sound.
It's true that for a double VCO, no filter... it is pretty interesting...

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:57 am

I'm guessing people either didn't hear or believe me when I've been for years saying the 100 System sounds good ;)

It does terror FM very well.

https://soundcloud.com/peake-1/158a-try-1wav
I just can't help imagining that this would be better with vactrols

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:56 am

Peake wrote:I'm guessing people either didn't hear or believe me when I've been for years saying the 100 System sounds good ;)

It does terror FM very well.

https://soundcloud.com/peake-1/158a-try-1wav
Thank you fMr Peake for this FM bit and thank you Mr Barton for this smart and clear presentations...really interesting!!!

After a bit more than 20 years of synthesis (which is nothing compared to our glorious and respected peers here indeed, so please spare me...), I must admit that after the usual common paradygm of the 3 VCO linear synth approach, this approach to synthesis got my attention.

So, this 100 series are making me quite excited (don't come yet Charlie Runkle...). I had a small 2-3 Buchla 200e modules set but never really got any kicks out of it. I'm 42 and already an old fashioned fuck, not usually interested with new trends and hype so spare me please.

I just want to thank Catalyst Audio to bring this back and Buchla to take on this. I just hope we can get more modules down the line like the double Reverb and the model 114 controller to come around...

Exciting times indeed to be able to play with this rare approach to synthesis, really happy with it !!!

You're on the bus or off the bus...
Last edited by beyourdog on Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

vgermuse
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vgermuse » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:16 am

A snapshot of the prototype modules and case at NAMM earlier this year...

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:41 am

Thank you Vgermuse for the picture!!!
I guess on the left is the mixed module lopass and then bottom is bandpass or something...personnally looking forward for the reverb too so I do nt

I still think the 114 would be more interesting for dynamic control though...Looking forward for the square wave double VCO too as there is an amplitude modulation on it...I never played these things yet, so can you use the 158 to modulate anything else with a sine wave ? Can you use the 158 as a trigger for anything? Can you use a 114 as a square trigger?

thanks my little darlings...

sukyaneer
Common Wiggler

UK Prices

Post by sukyaneer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:15 am

I was so excited about these modules until I saw the UK prices today.
Juno has them up for pre-esale

https://www.juno.co.uk/search/?q%5Ball% ... thcoming=0

Given the relative simplicity of the circuitry and the potential limited audience for this series the prices seem rather out of whack, when seen in context of other Eurorack manufacturers too. I remember the Catalyst modules were quite a bit cheaper, before the Buchla connection, too.

£410 for the Model 110 Quad Voltage Controlled Gate Module
£539 for the Model 158 Dual Channel Oscillator Module
£429 for the Model 180 Dual Attack Generator Module

It's so disappointing.

Common Wiggler

Re: UK Prices

Post by 01235813 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:45 am

sukyaneer wrote:I was so excited about these modules until I saw the UK prices today.

Given the relative simplicity of the circuitry and the potential limited audience for this series the prices seem rather out of whack, when seen in context of other Eurorack manufacturers too. I remember the Catalyst modules were quite a bit cheaper, before the Buchla connection, too.

It's so disappointing.
I was actually expecting them to be more expensive. I'm not saying I approve, I just assumed/expected them to be on the pricy end, buchla was never cheap.

In all fairness you also have to consider the cost of import taxes and whatnot for the U.K. - see Foxtone pricing.

sukyaneer
Common Wiggler

Re: UK Prices

Post by sukyaneer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:15 pm

01235813 wrote:
sukyaneer wrote:I was so excited about these modules until I saw the UK prices today.

It's so disappointing.
I was actually expecting them to be more expensive. I'm not saying I approve, I just assumed/expected them to be on the pricy end, buchla was never cheap.

In all fairness you also have to consider the cost of import taxes and whatnot for the U.K. - see Foxtone pricing.
Just that the Catalyst modules were reasonably priced when they came out and for their actual functionality these are very limited and expensive unfortunately. Just because Buchla label goes on them doesn't mean they need to be so expensive and thought this would have been an opportunity to open up something that for many is always too expensive and elite! I live in hope for everyone :-D

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Aren’t these pretty much $50 more than the Catalyst modules were? Doesn’t strike me as too bad. I imagine the R&D that went into these was non-trivial, too. The possibly limited audience would tend to make them more pricey, too, not less.

misa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by misa » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:30 am

I've only been able to listen to Todd's wonderful demo (thank you Todd!) on my laptop speakers (I know, I know!), but the 158 reminds me a whole lot of the sound of the Doepfer A-110 Standard Oscillator. It also does the FM in a crazy good way!

When it comes to Euro, never underestimate the power and versatility of Dieter! ;)
OUT NOW: GRAT - CHAOSMAGIC. on CD (digifile) and download, three dark ambient tracks rooted in Magic Realism. CHECK IT OUT HERE

Buy it now: "Heart Murmur" 10" vinyl on Bandcamp (solo Buchla 200e, no overdubs, recorded live in Berlin) out now everywhere!

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:04 pm

So, did anyone receive their red panel? Impressions / Sound?

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:32 am

I bought a 158 at Knobcon (where I had a great time talking with Todd) and a 156 a few weeks later, along with a Mantis for much planned expansion. I haven’t had loads of time but I’m enjoying them. Very fun and playable and I’m having fun learning about the 100 system. I’ve never used an original 100, not surprisingly, but I think it sounds much like what I’ve heard from recordings of the original. Very well-made, too. I can appreciate how much work Dave Small put into these.

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:21 pm

mgscheue wrote:Aren’t these pretty much $50 more than the Catalyst modules were? Doesn’t strike me as too bad. I imagine the R&D that went into these was non-trivial, too. The possibly limited audience would tend to make them more pricey, too, not less.
Indeed. It always "looks" simple but manufacturing is never easy and as you scale up it actually becomes more challenging in certain ways. Also in the US we now have to contend with import tariffs on everything from aluminum and PCBs to microcontrollers and other electronics. Those were not in place when Catalyst started offering the 100 series modules.

drewskee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drewskee » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:25 pm

Anyone care to share a photo of the circuit boards...Behind the Red Panel etc? (For those that recall Behind the Green Door) :twisted:

Interested to see if it's through hole, surface mount etc. Hopefully not an egregious request...
Things should be as simple as possible but not one bit simpler - Albert Einstein

MadGav
Common Wiggler

Post by MadGav » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:10 pm

drewskee wrote:Anyone care to share a photo of the circuit boards...Behind the Red Panel etc? (For those that recall Behind the Green Door).
You are on Shakey ground here.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:03 pm

Thanks for your feedback...

Back of some modules here:

https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/buchl ... l-106.html

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”