Buchla USA announces Red Panel

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 pm

According to Chris Meyer, the Catalyst modules, which are through-hole, except for the 156M, will be redesigned to be mostly surface mount, and Buchla will take over manufacturing.

Edit: In an attempt to clarify, I'm told that it was not Buchla that did the redesign. David Small was already working on this, to simplify manufacturing, before the Red Panel thing happened. Apologies for giving the wrong impression about that.

lumin
Common Wiggler

Post by lumin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:17 pm

snufkin wrote: This is basically my feeling, I don't have a problem with this at all but if they don't have the in house RnD to do 200e or other pioneering industry leading work then I don't think they have a future.
This is one of the more ridiculous things ive read.
As if all the 200e modules themselves, or even the easel, have all been exhausted and cant produce new interesting sounds/music. Ive had my easel for only a few years and come up with something new every time i sit with it. If the Buchla sound is starting to get boring, whose fault is that? More modules wont make anyone more creative.

Don Buchla was a very unique genius. I know the buchla community wants to see new things, but if you expect the ideas to just pick up where he left off, that doesnt really happen. It may take some time. Look at Moog. I havent seen any ground breaking ideas emerge since Bob died. Maybe cost effective options, but nothing new. I believe Don left us with a whole ton to play with. Shit, even the fact that the 100 series is getting reissued is a testament to the genius. But lets complain about some red font...

I have a feeling the red panel modules will open things up for the company. Hope they sell a ton. Im excited to see who uses from the euro crowd and what gets made. Will breathe new life into the buchla club. If anything, this means funds for RnD.

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Just wanted to pop my head in over here and say hi.
Happy to answer any questions that you guys/gals may have (that I can).

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:05 am

pre55ure wrote:Just wanted to pop my head in over here and say hi.
Happy to answer any questions that you guys/gals may have (that I can).
Hey! Is it true that Art for the Ears is doing the rack? He does beautiful work.

djs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djs » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 am

pre55ure wrote:Happy to answer any questions that you guys/gals may have (that I can).
What was your process for migrating the circuits from buchla standard to eurorack? Thinking about how most of the 100 series ones that i've seen run on just 15v and 0v, instead of 12v? Also, are the control voltages made bipolar, or remain unipolar?
"Noise is what the Earth is made of" - David Bowie

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:24 pm

mgscheue wrote: Hey! Is it true that Art for the Ears is doing the rack? He does beautiful work.
Yep. Dave from Art for the Ears is doing the rack/case.
I was very happy to hear that he was going to be involved.
djs wrote: What was your process for migrating the circuits from buchla standard to eurorack? Thinking about how most of the 100 series ones that i've seen run on just 15v and 0v, instead of 12v? Also, are the control voltages made bipolar, or remain unipolar?
Most of the modules run from 12v to 0v, with appropriate component value tweaks. The majority of the audio outputs have DC blocking capacitors on them (as per the originals) so that audio is bipolar.
The CV remains unipolar and in most cases have a trimmer that allows you to set the desired response (ie the VCA's (aka voltage controlled gate) can be set to open fully anywhere between 5-10v)

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:30 pm

I noticed that on some pictures of the circuit boards that the layout. At a glance, looked similar to the originals but with some obvious changes such as ICs (though minimal) can you talk about what circuit changes had to be made due to obsolescence or other design choices? What are the ICs that have been added?

Thanks!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:54 pm

Ceres wrote:I noticed that on some pictures of the circuit boards that the layout. At a glance, looked similar to the originals but with some obvious changes such as ICs (though minimal) can you talk about what circuit changes had to be made due to obsolescence or other design choices? What are the ICs that have been added?

Thanks!
Sure,
In most of the modules that produce or process audio (158, 106, 110) there is usually a simple opamp circuit to bring the audio output up to "standard" Eurorack levels. (About 8v PP). There are jumpers on the back of the module if you want to bypass the opamp and just use them at the traditional (line level) audio output.
I generally tried to change as few things as possible, but some of the capacitors needed to be changed from tantalum to audio grade electrolytic, as it's generally impossible to find tantalum caps with the values specified in the originals. (They also have a bad habit of catching fire when they fail :eek: ). Transistors, resistors, and ceramic caps are all pretty much the same with the exception of a few transistors that needed to be hand selected for a particular behavior. This was true of the originals as well though, as the schematics occasionally specify transistors with a particular property (hfe, ids, etc...)

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 pm

thanks for your answers

will Buchla keep the same price of your modules?

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:59 pm

lumin wrote:
snufkin wrote: This is basically my feeling, I don't have a problem with this at all but if they don't have the in house RnD to do 200e or other pioneering industry leading work then I don't think they have a future.
This is one of the more ridiculous things ive read.
As if all the 200e modules themselves, or even the easel, have all been exhausted and cant produce new interesting sounds/music. Ive had my easel for only a few years and come up with something new every time i sit with it. If the Buchla sound is starting to get boring, whose fault is that? More modules wont make anyone more creative.
Is it? I want Buchla to be in a position to create the next "easel" which wasn't really a site of new Buchla designs anyway it was about optimising them for performance (yes some of the specific circuits were different to other iterations but most of the functions had been implemented in other Buchla instruments already).

Of course an easel or even poorly designed or simple instruments can produce new interesting sounds or music, don't read more into what I said than what a wrote.

What I am saying is that the 200e still needs some work as a system and it would be cool to see Buchla in it's current iteration engage with that more.

Also I guess because I use a small 200e all the time the h modules and these new euro modules just aren't relevant to my needs or interests. I guess I was speculating what might suck me back in as a 200e user. :despair:

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:12 pm

pre55ure wrote:There are jumpers on the back of the module if you want to bypass the opamp and just use them at the traditional (line level) audio output.
:tu:
pre55ure wrote:I generally tried to change as few things as possible, but some of the capacitors needed to be changed from tantalum to audio grade electrolytic, as it's generally impossible to find tantalum caps with the values specified in the originals. (They also have a bad habit of catching fire when they fail :eek: ).
Haha, I noticed this on some pics of the boards! (Though looks like they still have pads to accommodate the tantalums.)

I'm curious what variant of the 158 circuit you use? And do you get anywhere close to the (supposed) original 5Hz-20kHz?

pre55ure
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pre55ure » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm

anselmi wrote:thanks for your answers

will Buchla keep the same price of your modules?
My understanding is that they will be around the same pricepoint. Possibly a little more due to some of the additional costs (custom knobs, panels etc...)
However - Just to be clear - I am not saying that in any sort of official capacity. The final decision on that will be made by Buchla.
if they don't have the in house RnD to do 200e or other pioneering industry leading work then I don't think they have a future.
Just my personal take on this - I don't think the lack of new modules is related to a lack of ideas or engineers, rather a lot of time and effort has been put into ensuring that QC and distribution is where it needs to be moving forward.
diophantine wrote: I'm curious what variant of the 158 circuit you use? And do you get anywhere close to the (supposed) original 5Hz-20kHz?
Its based on the 158A, and no not really. I'd say closer to 5hz - 14khz.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 pm

pre55ure wrote:
diophantine wrote: I'm curious what variant of the 158 circuit you use? And do you get anywhere close to the (supposed) original 5Hz-20kHz?
Its based on the 158A, and no not really. I'd say closer to 5hz - 14khz.
Nice, still better than my DIY! :tu:

geoffmar
Common Wiggler

Post by geoffmar » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:30 pm

I'm really excited about this line. I haven't been in euro for years but have always loved Buchla and the timbres/tweakin possibilities. Will definitely be following this.

talfred
Wiggling with Experience

Post by talfred » Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:51 pm

I think these modules looks very tempting, I just hope they won't be too expencive.

But I have a question regarding the Buchla company, what are they now after Don's passing? Like how many people are involved?
I guess the market for the 200 system can't that big. Might be good for them going eurorack to make more money.

rechner7
Common Wiggler

Post by rechner7 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

Are there any news regarding the availability?

Does anyone know how high the voltage peak-to-peak level for unbuffered Model 158 is approximately?
It would be interesting to run other oscillators with the unbufferd Catalyst/Red Panel modules. Thanks!

m
Learning to Wiggle

Post by m » Thu May 02, 2019 3:45 am

Hi!

I really love the Catalyst modules!
They sound amazing, and the workflow is very creative and inspiring. I have 5 of them and use them as a small self contained system, and sometimes with control from the outside.

I'm also interested in the availability.

And will Catalyst make other modules now? Or develop/bring more of the models to the market (hopefully)?

I hope the Red Panel-Label will be toned down at least, as the Catalyst modules look so clean and Buchlaesk.

verstaerker
Common Wiggler

Post by verstaerker » Sat May 18, 2019 4:38 am

I visited the Buchla-Booth at Superbooth2019 and was quite disappointed of the presentation ... it was run by a Korg SQ-1 Sequencer and some of the modules (including the sequencer) didn't seem to work - also the VCOs behaved a bit strangly to the CV of the SQ1...
As there was no one around I could ask I left the booth disappointed after a few mintues. Definitely lost my interest in the Red Panel System by this.

misa
Ultra Wiggler

Post by misa » Sat May 18, 2019 4:32 pm

verstaerker wrote:I visited the Buchla-Booth at Superbooth2019 and was quite disappointed of the presentation ... it was run by a Korg SQ-1 Sequencer and some of the modules (including the sequencer) didn't seem to work - also the VCOs behaved a bit strangly to the CV of the SQ1...
As there was no one around I could ask I left the booth disappointed after a few mintues. Definitely lost my interest in the Red Panel System by this.
For me it was the opposite. I played around with the Oscillator ("158") and was impressed at the rawness and the capabilities for timbre that came out of that module.

I was modulating it within itself, from the mentioned SQ-1 and really thought "wow". If I was still buying Eurorack, I would definitely keep a close eye on the Red Panel line.
OUT NOW: GRAT - CHAOSMAGIC. on CD (digifile) and download, three dark ambient tracks rooted in Magic Realism. CHECK IT OUT HERE

Buy it now: "Heart Murmur" 10" vinyl on Bandcamp (solo Buchla 200e, no overdubs, recorded live in Berlin) out now everywhere!

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by indexofmetals » Sun May 19, 2019 2:13 pm

snufkin wrote: An indication of their plans for the 200e system would be desirable and interesting.
I asked Foxtone about this at Superbooth and I got a vague we have amazing things in the works. They've followed through with pretty much everything else they've said so just have to wait.

mgscheue
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mgscheue » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:09 am

Demo from Todd Barton.
[video][/video]

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:24 pm

Fat sine, big itchy saw wave, broken robot FM...that's the 100 :D

Great stuff Todd! Great stuff Catalyst!
I just can't help imagining that this would be better with vactrols

mathomas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mathomas » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:39 pm

indexofmetals wrote:
snufkin wrote: An indication of their plans for the 200e system would be desirable and interesting.
I asked Foxtone about this at Superbooth and I got a vague we have amazing things in the works. They've followed through with pretty much everything else they've said so just have to wait.
I sure hope to hear something positive. I admit to worrying, now and then, that they’ll just discontinue it.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Cool tones in these demos-- love the strange, raw sound and I'm looking forward to more of that. Any word on price? To be honest, it looks difficult to play and that appeals to me. :banana:

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 am

[video][/video]

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”