Buchla USA announces Red Panel

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:47 pm

Demi Jon wrote:
Ceres wrote:The logo on the panels is not aesthetically pleasing and it still doesn’t say “Buchla”.
The Buchla aesthetic is so refined and well established, slapping a logo in a bold font onto it is really jarring and awful. Most of the clones even keep to the original font.

At least keep the Red Panel logo in the same decorous Buchla font, even if it's printed in bright red. Please.
How does this rub you?

I think these (re) makers do a pretty good job of declaring their brand while sticking to the original aesthetic.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:29 am

I think Random*Source did an awesome job on their panels.

The red logo in a different script on the Red Panel modules just doesn’t look good to me. The original Catalyst panels looked better. I think aesthetics should matter to a company like buchla. Moog found a way to have both affordable euro modules and expensive handmade modulars and kept their product line classy and professional looking top to bottom.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:57 am

Ceres wrote: Moog found a way to have both affordable euro modules and expensive handmade modulars and kept their product line classy and professional looking top to bottom.
Moog hasn't released a Euro module. They have 500 series modules, but only weird patchable things for euro.

Knarzwaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by Knarzwaltz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:20 am

AutomaticGainsay wrote: Well, in any case, yes. The fact that these modules don't fit Buchla aesthetic standards that didn't exist in the 100 Series is an outrage. Also, that they don't say "Buchla" on them, like none of the original 100 series did. These are definitely reasons for righteous indignation.
The 100 has its own unique standards and aesthetics. An there where 100 series modules labelled "Buchla Associates" as well as SFTMC and CBS labelled.

Knarzwaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by Knarzwaltz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:27 am

And I dont understand why they maintaning this silly story about "the one" red panel that has LSD on it. Ther where many red panelled modules and it would be fun to know the real story behind why Don made some in red.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 am

thetwlo wrote:
Ceres wrote: Moog found a way to have both affordable euro modules and expensive handmade modulars and kept their product line classy and professional looking top to bottom.
Moog hasn't released a Euro module. They have 500 series modules, but only weird patchable things for euro.
Moog Mother and DFAM are clearly euro modules.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:26 am

Ceres wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
I think it's fair to call them weird patchable things as someone who owns and likes them-- it's annoying that the sequencer always effects the oscillator, glide is tied to sequencer, a few other nitpicks that I don't remember.

BACK ON THE SUBJECT OF THESE BUCHLA PANELS:
I think they are attractive and I like the "RED PANEL" logo. I am not an electronics wizard, and from a player's perspective separating the jacks into different formats feels limiting to me, especially because a lot of things that drew me to modular in the first place were the abilities to do audio rate modulation on a lot of other parameters.

Part of what I like about synths is to just sit and explore, and this looks like something fun to play that would probably not be my main instrument. Enjoying the demos from this and it looks like a great way to honor the work Catalyst Audio put into the project by making it a part of the official lineup.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:05 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Ceres wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
I think it's fair to call them weird patchable things as someone who owns and likes them-- it's annoying that the sequencer always effects the oscillator, glide is tied to sequencer, a few other nitpicks that I don't remember.
TIL that many (maybe most?) Eurorack modules may not in fact euro modules but are just “weird patchable things” that just happen to be fully compatible with euro and fit in euro cases. I’m glad this important distinction is finally being brought to light... :hmm:

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Sensibly: I think they are self contained semi-modulars that conform to Euroack connectivity.

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:43 pm

That red font slapped across iconic Don Buchla's panel designs is one damn horrible idea. Red font immediately communicates negative meaning - "Access Denied", Unauthorized Copy"... If they have to have it in red, at least the font should be 1/3 of its current size. Or better yet it should be a textless logo. As said earlier, Random source are a good example of getting it right. So were Catalyst Audio.

That red panel story is silly by the way.

Demi Jon
Switched Out

Post by Demi Jon » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:46 pm

MindMachine wrote:How does this rub you?

I think these (re) makers do a pretty good job of declaring their brand while sticking to the original aesthetic.
Agreed. I'm unlikely to add Elby Serge to my case because I prefer the true-to-the-original look of the Random*Source modules. Part of my current setup:

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Knarzwaltz wrote:And I dont understand why they maintaning this silly story about "the one" red panel that has LSD on it. Ther where many red panelled modules and it would be fun to know the real story behind why Don made some in red.

Because man ,like you know ,we're Buchla, we're DIFFERENT, think different, stick it to the man, we do LSD, banana cables, uhm new music paradigms, quadrophonic, this is the real thing if you have a free thinking MIND man, hm uhm give us your money.

incekt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by incekt » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:27 pm

interesting fact: all red paint contains LSD.

ArguZ
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ArguZ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:51 pm

Not anymore they don't ;)

chaosick
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chaosick » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:38 pm

incekt wrote:interesting fact: all red paint contains LSD.
That explains why my friend "Bernie" refuses to set foot in any non-red buildings.

underthebigtree
Common Wiggler

Post by underthebigtree » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:34 pm

[video][/video]

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 am

So has anyone done the rough maths will this self contained system come to around the same price an easel?

lasesentaysiete
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lasesentaysiete » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:38 am

This video leads me to think that they will end up doing some 100 series in proper Buchla format.
underthebigtree wrote:[video][/video]

traffkin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by traffkin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:48 am

+1 definitely
mutierend wrote:At the risk of sounding salty, I really wish Buchla would show some investment in the 4U format. This deal with Catalyst is just badge engineering.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 am

snufkin wrote:So has anyone done the rough maths will this self contained system come to around the same price an easel?
Wouldn't be surprised. Prices released?

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:50 am

Following

Pailo
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pailo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:32 pm

My two cents is I wanted to get the catalyst 100 series and went
tokyo tape music center. again because I thought they looked
a bit better. and Kuro shows you the back of the modules.

I have never seen the back of the catalyst ones and getting
them was close to impossible. so its weird now that buchla
has taken them on I guess it will be harder to get? and
will we ever see the back of the modules?

The big REDPANEL does look really weird I agree.

They crammed the dual panels like the filter and RM, and
that defeats the purpose of how they were originally
designed, but 2hp is really popular, and I think catalyst
did it well. Eurorack is about condensing things down.

about killing off the clone market, they always take shots at the
clone people, when most of us building thank god, clones exist.

Again I like these white panels and may get the touch module panel.
Todd does great demos, and he is way more into it than a lot of their last
presenters. looks pretty cool.

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:46 pm

if you want to see the back of the modules just go here
https://www.schneidersladen.de/en/catal ... l-158.html

Majesticunicorn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Majesticunicorn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:39 pm

some 100 series in proper Buchla format
I have an issue with the statement ar 0:59 in this video in relation to original 100 series 'product'.

These are cool, but a as stated these are of a design other than Don's, with his statement replying "correct"

The original 100 series is an original/official Buchla line product, but it is what it is... This is a modded combo package made a new.

If this was the first Buchla comp of the series , he could have honestly said yes... but it this is not an accurate statement IMO, unless further preserved for Don's legacy in accordance(RIP) and faithfully made under re-production...

Im not saying these are bad modules, Its cool...but I digress that these are not the same thing as the original / official Buchla 100 series. I could buy a clone with or without 'corporate customer service'

I do give him props for his love of these, for reproduction into a modernised comp of a 100 series-like clone. Ive made these too, and its not easy to approximate the original series. I give him props for doing the work and for getting the contract ;)

EDIT: I made some grammatical changes due to beer.

EDIT 2:
Red Panel has worked closely with Dave Small of Catalyst Audio and Buchla artist consultant Todd Barton in order to bring Don Buchla’s seminal product line, the 100 Series, to the Eurorack format.
I don't disagree with this at all, they are both great at this, and it is doing just as intended... but seems like a 1:1 thing upon first questions...

Todd clarifies...

todd at namm 2k19

snufkin
Ultra Wiggler

Post by snufkin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:30 am

mutierend wrote:At the risk of sounding salty, I really wish Buchla would show some investment in the 4U format. This deal with Catalyst is just badge engineering.
This is basically my feeling, I don't have a problem with this at all but if they don't have the in house RnD to do 200e or other pioneering industry leading work then I don't think they have a future.

An indication of their plans for the 200e system would be desirable and interesting.

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”