MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

lin exp log response of slew limiter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author lin exp log response of slew limiter
ketem13
I have a question regarding explanations and definitions of slew limiter in different curves response.

I have the following patch: square lfo (-5v +5v) goes into half wave reflector then the out put (0v -+ 5) goes insid maths ch 1 input.

maths ch 1 out put attenuate to make the signal goes between, let's say, 0v- 3v) and goes inside a 1v/oct of an osc (offset 400hz )

if maths rise is fully ccw and fall is fully cccw and curve at lin I will get the pitch of the osc goes 3 octave up then back down to the offset pitch(400 hz).

we could say that:

if rise knob is around noon and fall knob is fully ccw so:

a) in log curve: there is slow change in pitch that increase as we getting close to the end of the rise knob position ?
b) in exp curve: there is rapid change in pitch that decrease as we getting close to the end of the rise knob position ?
c) in lin curve: there is same change in pitch that stays the same as we getting close to the end of the rise knob position ?

is it a right way to explains it ?

same goes to fall time ?

a) in log curve: there is slow change in pitch that increase as we getting close to the end of the fall knob position ?
b) in exp curve: there is rapid change in pitch that decrease as we getting close to the end of the fall knob position ?
c) in lin curve: there is same change in pitch that stays the same as we getting close to the end of the fall knob position ?

any light on the subject will be helpful. Thanks!
cptnal
Sounds right to me. thumbs up
moremagic
the curve knob on maths feeds the channel output to the both cv input, negative feedback for log and positive for exponential

negative feedback slows it down, the higher (technically lower i guess) the output voltage; positive feedback makes it go faster, the higher the output is
ketem13
moremagic wrote:
the curve knob on maths feeds the channel output to the both cv input, negative feedback for log and positive for exponential

negative feedback slows it down, the higher (technically lower i guess) the output voltage; positive feedback makes it go faster, the higher the output is

I did not speaks about the both cv input but only the rise or fall inputs
cptnal
I think moremagic was describing what's happening in the module when you see those results.
Dcramer
Which is cool if you think about it. It would be very easy to patch in some VCAs and such to get a nifty voltage controlled curve thing going on. thumbs up
ketem13
I've got another small question regarding maths and I didn't want to open another topic for it.
in the manual of maths on p. 10 written: 3. CH. 1 Attenuverter Control: provides for scaling, attenuation and inversion of the signal being processed or generated by CH. 1. Connected to CH. 1 Variable Output and Sum/Or Bus.

what does scaling mean ?

Edit: another question regarding maths ch 1 and 4:
in the manual is written: "CH. 1 Variable Output: The applied signal as processed by CH. 1 controls. Normalized to the SUM and OR busses. Inserting a patch cable removes the signal from the SUM and OR busses. Output Range +/-10V.

is it true to say that those outputs are not only of the signal proccessed by the CH controls but also an output of a function (aka envelope ) or osc ?

how will you describe the output option of maths ch 1 and 4 ?

thanks
mdoudoroff
ketem13, channel 1 on MATHS is hardwired to a copy of the lefthand slew’s unity output. Channel 4 on MATHS is hardwired to a copy of the righthand slew’s unity output.

In this context, “scaling” is redundant for attenuation and inversion. (MATHS will attenuate and/or invert, but will not amplify.)

You might find this video helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqkhHhGDPI
ketem13
mdoudoroff wrote:
ketem13, channel 1 on MATHS is hardwired to a copy of the lefthand slew’s unity output. Channel 4 on MATHS is hardwired to a copy of the righthand slew’s unity output.

In this context, “scaling” is redundant for attenuation and inversion. (MATHS will attenuate and/or invert, but will not amplify.)

You might find this video helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzqkhHhGDPI

thanks for the informative video.

got another question regarding the eoc and eor of maths ch 1 and 4.

I knew that ch 1 fire a high voltage trig of 10 v when it arrive to the end of rise, and does the same on ch 4 when it arrive to the end of fall (end of cycle)

I did not know that when there is no activity in ch 4 its generate consist 10 v and ch 1 generate 0v.

any reason for that? what it can be good for?
mdoudoroff
ketem13 wrote:

got another question regarding the eoc and eor of maths ch 1 and 4.

I knew that ch 1 fire a high voltage trig of 10 v when it arrive to the end of rise, and does the same on ch 4 when it arrive to the end of fall (end of cycle)

I did not know that when there is no activity in ch 4 its generate consist 10 v and ch 1 generate 0v.

any reason for that? what it can be good for?

The EOR/EOC is essentially a flipflop: it’s either high or low, and one is the reverse of the other. Ideally, Make Noise would have provided both EOR and EOC for each slew—like they do on their Function module—but they don’t. This is the only way in which the two slews differ, and depending what you’re doing, you might have to choose one over the other.

EOC and EOR have a great many uses, and the fact they’re “gates” rather than simply triggers means they’re good at voltage controlled trigger-to-gate conversion and various pulse-modulation-like activities that mere triggers would not help with.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1