MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Running out of rope
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Running out of rope
papz
Hence the name is TinyMixer Mr. Green
thelowerrhythm
Lots of really good thoughts here. Personally, working within limitations is one of the focuses of my art practice, and definitely part of the attraction of modular. Though I also enjoy overcoming them so I can deal with other ones.

I wrote a piece of software that randomly spits out X number of modules from my collection and I force patching exercises based on that.

I also like to build tiny test racks on ModularGrid, for the w00t of it. I find the most challenging size is a dual 60hp rack. with the DFAM as a requirement.
Blairio
dubonaire wrote:
Blairio wrote:
Pelsea wrote:
The history of musical instrument development is mostly about overcoming limitations.

Yes, but perhaps the focus here is more on musical creativity, and the question of whether a resource constraint (a finite number of patch cables) can be turned to an advantage in that regard.

I'm not suggesting these things are rules, there are no rules. But I do think it's a good idea when buying modules to think about how you will modulate them fully if you ever want to from a whole of system perspective.

I guess you could come up with an algorithm for calculating the number of each type of utility module required for a system containing '1-n' oscillators, '1-n sound shapers etc, but there would be a risk of falling into either east coast or west coast orthodoxy.

I for one would have appreciated a few simple rules when I started out in modular, such as:

a. make sure you have at least one VCA (unless you only want drones)
b. aim for at least one envelope generator (for instance to modulate the VCA)
c. aim for at least one LFO (or a VCO capable at running at LFO rates)
d. remember that you cannot 'hear' utilities (only their influence), and there are good brands that offer utilities at very reasonable prices
dubonaire
Blairio wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
Blairio wrote:
Pelsea wrote:
The history of musical instrument development is mostly about overcoming limitations.

Yes, but perhaps the focus here is more on musical creativity, and the question of whether a resource constraint (a finite number of patch cables) can be turned to an advantage in that regard.

I'm not suggesting these things are rules, there are no rules. But I do think it's a good idea when buying modules to think about how you will modulate them fully if you ever want to from a whole of system perspective.

I guess you could come up with an algorithm for calculating the number of each type of utility module required for a system containing '1-n' oscillators, '1-n sound shapers etc, but there would be a risk of falling into either east coast or west coast orthodoxy.

I for one would have appreciated a few simple rules when I started out in modular, such as:

a. make sure you have at least one VCA (unless you only want drones)
b. aim for at least one envelope generator (for instance to modulate the VCA)
c. aim for at least one LFO (or a VCO capable at running at LFO rates)
d. remember that you cannot 'hear' utilities (only their influence), and there are good brands that offer utilities at very reasonable prices

I'm not sure you can do that algorithm thing, because it really depends on so many things, not least the amount of CV-able inputs you have and how many of them come with their own attenuators or attenuverters. It also really does depend on how big your system is and how you use it, and whether you want to patch it and let it do it's thing or you want to wiggle. But I think a key to interesting electronic music is subtle variation in tone and rhythm, and that is something that really can enabled by VCAs, switches, logic, attenuation and inversion.

If you look at a Doepfer standard system, that really is only a 1-2 voice synth, and pretty much contains the elements you will find in a $500 monosynth, but it costs $2.5k.

http://www.doepfer.de/A100_System_BS1_V2.gif

If you look at a Makenoise Shared System, that really is a heavily sequenced complex osc voice with some control, VCAs and effects and costs 4-5k.

People just tend to undercook their modular systems.
zengomi
For the time being, the only constraint I'm willing to embrace is that of working as exclusively as possible within the modular domain.

I see no point in putting limits on what is already a form of limitation. So my system grows in what is, to my mind, a natural way.

Moreover, as long as there are desirable modules on offer, my modular will grow.

As if I could resist INSTRUĊ or ADDAC.
dooj88
Pelsea wrote:
every wiggler should have cable building and repair in his skill set.

well shit. if the good dr says so, then i've got some work to do. learning this is probably a good confidence booster as well.
thelowerrhythm
dooj88 wrote:
Pelsea wrote:

well shit. if the good dr says so, then i've got some work to do. learning this is probably a good confidence booster as well.

For sure. It's also a good start on the road to DIY module work, even if just doing repairs.

Riffing a bit on what someone else said... letting the system grow naturally. I like that. I'm on the same path, more or less. Have slowly started dumping non-Eurorack gear that I don't use anymore, though I'm on the hunt for a good outboard budget EQ. Last I checked there aren't any good stereo 31 band EQs in the Eurorack realm... stormcat
cptnal
Pelsea wrote:

Uh oh! There's that 'S' word again. (hides)
mousegarden
Levit8, you can use it as a mixer as well.
I'm paranoid about running out of attenuators, I have 16 in my 15U plus the Levit8, and I still run out.
artieTwelve
papz wrote:
The Bill's TinyMixer works nice as an attenuator and can do more :

I could use 3 of these right now.
electricanada
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2