MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Class notes
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Class notes
giftculture
coil binding for me! looking forward to it!
Keltie
Coil fo sho.
whyfarer
Interested - especially for coil
Rex Coil 7
Pelsea wrote:
I guess the joke is lost on this generation. You have to remember where I was teaching, Santa Cruz California, about halfway between Esalen and Haight-Ashbury.

I’ll post something more representative later this evening.
It's not lost on me! I'm 57, spent the first 12 years of my life (1960 to 1972) in the Bay Area ... San Jose, Fremont, Hayward, San Leandro, Napa/Lake Berryessa, Sacramento, Santa Clara. We used to go see the hippies that were hangin' out at Haight-Ashbury. I clearly remember the coloring books that the Black Panthers were publishing and handing out to grade school kids. I had family that lived in Oakland. My mom's brother (my uncle Don) was a bus driver in Oakland and Hayward, my grandfather was a cable car operator in San Francisco, my grandmother was a telephone operator in Hayward, my father worked at Lockheed in Sunnyvale for 33 years.

So the humorous Tao reference lands with me. Reminds me somewhat of the book "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance". I had a copy of that, as well as a copy of "The Last Whole Earth Catalog".

In '72 we moved from the Bay Area to Orange County (Ca.) ... then in mid 1973 we moved to Tucson Az.

Talk about culture shock! The difference between 60's Bay Area, 70's SoCal, and 70's Az really provided a very large spread of cultural experience in the western USA.

So please do carry on. Zen, Tao, Surfer chic, Mexican lifestyle .... hey man, it's all good! Throw synth-head ethos in that stew and it's a great and filling meal!

thumbs up
giftculture
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Pelsea wrote:
I guess the joke is lost on this generation. You have to remember where I was teaching, Santa Cruz California, about halfway between Esalen and Haight-Ashbury.

I’ll post something more representative later this evening.
It's not lost on me! I'm 57, spent the first 12 years of my life (1960 to 1972) in the Bay Area ... San Jose, Fremont, Hayward, San Leandro, Napa/Lake Berryessa, Sacramento, Santa Clara. We used to go see the hippies that were hangin' out at Haight-Ashbury. I clearly remember the coloring books that the Black Panthers were publishing and handing out to grade school kids. I had family that lived in Oakland. My mom's brother (my uncle Don) was a bus driver in Oakland and Hayward, my grandfather was a cable car operator in San Francisco, my grandmother was a telephone operator in Hayward, my father worked at Lockheed in Sunnyvale for 33 years.

So the humorous Tao reference lands with me. Reminds me somewhat of the book "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance". I had a copy of that, as well as a copy of "The Last Whole Earth Catalog".

In '72 we moved from the Bay Area to Orange County (Ca.) ... then in mid 1973 we moved to Tucson Az.

Talk about culture shock! The difference between 60's Bay Area, 70's SoCal, and 70's Az really provided a very large spread of cultural experience in the western USA.

So please do carry on. Zen, Tao, Surfer chic, Mexican lifestyle .... hey man, it's all good! Throw synth-head ethos in that stew and it's a great and filling meal!

thumbs up

I agree - love the style and the tone, just didn't care for the font! smile
Rex Coil 7
giftculture wrote:
...I agree - love the style and the tone, just didn't care for the font! smile
But you see, that's just it .... that *typeface is a perfect match with the "ethos" of the era and location the author is pitching from.

I think that if he were to retain the Tao as a preface, the typeface he selected should be retained. At least just for the Tao preface. It's the ideal typeface for that writing style. Sortof "philosophically correct" if you will.

*typeface and font are two different things. Most people use the word "font" when what they're actually referring to is "typeface".

Example of fonts, are bold type, or italic type ... different weights and sizes of a typeface. So if the Tao was written in bold, that would be a different font of the typeface that was written in italics. Both are still the same typeface, but the bold and italics are different fonts of that same typeface.

This --> HI
... is a different font than this --> HI
... which is a different font than this --> HI

However all three are the same typeface.

Now that I've pissed off half the membership with some lecturing ...

I'll just get my coat ...
whistlin'
Pelsea
You get it-- the cursive style matches the pseudo religious tone. It's only on that single page-- everything else is blah Word defaults.

I was more inspired by the Tao of Physics, but ZATAMM works too. Also, some posters for sale at a local head shop. (Google the Serenity Prayer and look at images.)

It seemed to serve its purpose, which was to de-stress students who had patch anxiety. Many came into the course with no experience of anything more complex than a stereo, and found a room full of rack mount gear with a 5U telephone style patch bay kind of intimidating. As the years went on, the gear became more friendly and the students more experienced, but even at the last there were a few who were overwhelmed. I even detect traces of that in this forum.
giftculture
Quote:
If signal be lost, the beholder must follow the path from beginning to end, ensuring
the soundness and proper placement of patch cords and the settings of each device. Have
faith, for true failure is rare, and it is not in the power of the user to damage the gear.

Save for plugging outputs into outputs? smile
giftculture
Pelsea wrote:
You get it-- the cursive style matches the pseudo religious tone. It's only on that single page-- everything else is blah Word defaults.

I was more inspired by the Tao of Physics, but ZATAMM works too. Also, some posters for sale at a local head shop. (Google the Serenity Prayer and look at images.)

It seemed to serve its purpose, which was to de-stress students who had patch anxiety. Many came into the course with no experience of anything more complex than a stereo, and found a room full of rack mount gear with a 5U telephone style patch bay kind of intimidating. As the years went on, the gear became more friendly and the students more experienced, but even at the last there were a few who were overwhelmed. I even detect traces of that in this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a lovely idea (which I appreciate) and I am grateful that you are sharing your accumulated thoughts and notes with us! For some reason that particular typeface is hard on my eyes, and I wonder if there might be a similar typeface stylistically that would convey the same feel while being easier to read...

I absolutely will concede that the problem probably lies more with me than with it, and even said, it's the tiniest of quibbles. I'm still very excited to purchase your book once it is published! smile
giftculture
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
giftculture wrote:
...I agree - love the style and the tone, just didn't care for the font! smile
But you see, that's just it .... that *typeface is a perfect match with the "ethos" of the era and location the author is pitching from.

I think that if he were to retain the Tao as a preface, the typeface he selected should be retained. At least just for the Tao preface. It's the ideal typeface for that writing style. Sortof "philosophically correct" if you will.

*typeface and font are two different things. Most people use the word "font" when what they're actually referring to is "typeface".

Example of fonts, are bold type, or italic type ... different weights and sizes of a typeface. So if the Tao was written in bold, that would be a different font of the typeface that was written in italics. Both are still the same typeface, but the bold and italics are different fonts of that same typeface.

This --> HI
... is a different font than this --> HI
... which is a different font than this --> HI

However all three are the same typeface.

Now that I've pissed off half the membership with some lecturing ...

I'll just get my coat ...
whistlin'

Haha!

I'm definitely not pissed to learn something new smile Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us smile
Pelsea
giftculture wrote:
Quote:
If signal be lost, the beholder must follow the path from beginning to end, ensuring
the soundness and proper placement of patch cords and the settings of each device. Have
faith, for true failure is rare, and it is not in the power of the user to damage the gear.

You know, in forty years of repairing gear trashed by university students, I never came across an output that was damaged in this way. The theory is clear-- if a circuit is designed to supply enough current to survive a short to ground, but not a milliAmp more, then connecting to an output that might swing negative could demand too much current. But what engineer in his right mind would release such a design? All it takes is an appropriate sized resistor or capacitor in series with the output, and you are safe. Now that goof is common enough with amateurs trying to piggyback power amps (see bridging power amps), and there was a day (the 50s maybe?) when engineers designed for best power transfer, but that is a phoneco thing.

Besides, we are talking about studios I designed and installed. I made sure everything I bought could withstand a fair amount of abuse. The line was mostly inspired by James Bond movies, where someone types a line of bad code and roomful of racks bursts into flame.

I used to pass that wisdom along as a bad idea, not because of damage, but because it wouldn't work-- you don't get a mix, you get an average weighted by the various impedances.

If others have experienced such a failure, I'd like to hear about it.
Sleipnir
Pelsea wrote:
giftculture wrote:
Quote:

You know, in forty years of repairing gear trashed by university students, I never came across an output that was damaged in this way. The theory is clear-- if a circuit is designed to supply enough current to survive a short to ground, but not a milliAmp more, then connecting to an output that might swing negative could demand too much current. But what engineer in his right mind would release such a design?
[snip..]
If others have experienced such a failure, I'd like to hear about it.

Bwahaha, you don't use much Euro, I assume?
I've only trashed one module ( Pittsburgh Generator ) and that was plugging out ("Index out") to out (I forget what, probably something labeled confusingly on the GenXpander).
This was within a couple of weeks of building my first modular, so I was a bit gun shy after that.

Anyway, will def buy a coil bound version. I've enjoyed your posts and am glad you found Muffs.
Also, as a born & bred Santa Cruz boy, I hope you don't mind me turning the Zen bit into a poster for my studio. love
Pelsea
Sleipnir wrote:

Bwahaha, you don't use much Euro, I assume?
I've only trashed one module ( Pittsburgh Generator ) and that was plugging out ("Index out") to out (I forget what, probably something labeled confusingly on the GenXpander).
This was within a couple of weeks of building my first modular, so I was a bit gun shy after that.

Wow-- I notice those modules are no longer made. I wonder why? In any case labeling a jack simply "BAD" is a great example of poor design as discussed in one of my other threads.
Pelsea
Of course, the Tao does address this, perhaps I should include more emphasis?

Quote:
But if two signals are to be joined, it must be within the mixer, each signal to its chosen input.
Rex Coil 7
Sleipnir wrote:
....Also, as a born & bred Santa Cruz boy, I hope you don't mind me turning the Zen bit into a poster for my studio. love
I am considering the same thing. But using this process from these folks ....

LINK = https://fractureme.com/affordable-framing-prices

They can mount pretty much anything ~flat~ on a glass surface that can be hung on the wall, or placed on a shelf.

I'm already having them do the cover art from ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery" album. That's an H.R.Giger piece, simply iconic. $45.00 bucks.

LINK = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_Salad_Surgery
Sleipnir
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sleipnir wrote:
....Also, as a born & bred Santa Cruz boy, I hope you don't mind me turning the Zen bit into a poster for my studio. love
I am considering the same thing. But using this process from these folks ....

LINK = https://fractureme.com/affordable-framing-prices

See, now you got me thinking about having it printed on my reflector cloud above the mixing desk.
Hmmmmm
hsosdrum
You publish; I purchase.

Suggestions:

• Use a larger font size with relaxed character spacing. Many (most?) of us are getting older and can't comfortably read smaller print on hard copy. (IMHO Cambria has more readable character spacing than Times New Roman.)

• Coil binding for sure, so we can lay it flat while trying out the stuff you suggest.

• Ignore those lacking a sense of humor or cultural history and definitely include the Tao, along with any other writings that help establish context for your work. People only learn when they are confronted with things they do not yet understand.
Rex Coil 7
hsosdrum wrote:
People only learn when they are confronted with things they do not yet understand.
You've just described precisely what's completely missing at many colleges and universities across the entire US. They're no longer centers of learning and higher education, they're overpriced indoctrination camps. I feel sorry for some of these kids. "Ok, we've shoved our political BS down your throats for 4 years ... now be the good little communist proletarians we've trained you to be and pay Big Brother every dime you make for your first twenty years after graduation! PAY! ... YOU OWE THE ELITE ... WE MADE YOU WHAT YOU ARE!!"

It's really a shame. The average grade point is 3.4 at graduation ... and yet, US college students rank 40th (or so) among the developed nations in S.T.E.M. All they've learned is how to be good little followers.

Back on topic, and just for fun (in the spirit of the New Youth) I've developed a chant sprinkled with protesters, a few violent actions, immature bird-flippers, and bullhorn toting soapboxers for authenticity .......

Retain the Tao! .... Retain the Tao! .... Retain the Tao! ... Retain the Tao! .....

I agree! lol! I agree! lol! I agree! lol!
smack! f u Rawk! headcrabs! Soapbox Rage!

HA!!! lol thumbs up

RETAIN THE TAO!
(dammit!) thumbs up
PhineasFreak
personally i think that diagram is an absolute nightmare - if i didnt already know every single thing youre saying i'd be totally confused. it reads to me like youre talking to people who already understand the material...
Pelsea
PhineasFreak wrote:
personally i think that diagram is an absolute nightmare - if i didnt already know every single thing youre saying i'd be totally confused. it reads to me like youre talking to people who already understand the material...

You mean this one?

Well, it’s not out of the blue— there is an earlier page that discusses waveforms, and one even earlier that introduces oscillographs. I made that particular drawing with MacDraw, which is why it uses a pulse wave. (You couldn’t draw a sine curve in MacDraw.) Maybe I should redo it with something more modern? (I'm going to have to redo it anyway-- blown up to this size, I see that the drawings have lost their alignment somehow.)

Or is it the lack of units that is bothering you? It’s just a sketch I used to make on a whiteboard.
merchant
Dear Peter, just a note to say thanks for your contributions, I’m one of those people who bought and read your books, and your Max tutorials have been super useful.

Chalk up another buyer for your notes here.
phats
The tao te ching is a spiritual, even religious text. Some people take those sort of things pretty seriously.

I'd rather a book about synthesis focus on synthesis, or memes about cats and too many vcas if it needs some lightening up. Just sayin'
Pelsea
Well, I mean no disrespect to Daoists, but with Amazon listing 30,000 titles that include the word Tao, I think that cat is out of the bag and out the door. I think we can all live in harmony with the fact that “tao” is a word meaning “way” or “path” (the path of signal, get it?), and my effort is no more offensive than “The Pizza Bible”.
dubonaire
Pelsea wrote:

The Tao of Physics had a big impact on me when I read it.
a100user
pdf or hard copy would be great and yes, I would pick up a copy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6