VCV Rack: Open-source virtual modular synthesizer

Reaktor, MAX/MSP, VST/AU, etc. A place for all things soft....

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Fedor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Fedor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:31 am

dasdreieck wrote:
Would be really nice if the basic VCO had an LFO setting for simple stuff and clocking
For now I'm using Even VCO set to the lowest octave, with Dual Atenuverter's
Offset patched into Even VCO's V/Oct input. Then you can control the speed of this "LFO" with the offset. It goes relatively low.

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:35 am

Tides is a good LFO, and I'll be adding Rampage in a week or so.

dasdreieck
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dasdreieck » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:53 am

Fedor wrote:
For now I'm using Even VCO set to the lowest octave, with Dual Atenuverter's
Offset patched into Even VCO's V/Oct input. Then you can control the speed of this "LFO" with the offset. It goes relatively low.
Good idea. And yeah Rampage will be great for LFO stuff, didn't realise that was gonna be included. Sweet as

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:24 am

Works nicely here, win10.
Dream features request:
FRAMES or PEAKS would be amazing!!! (Peaks drums... plus being discountinued, that would be great!!!)
Oh, and PARASITE firmwares???

By the way, i am joining the "How do we access the Braids menu" brigade.

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 am

^ Added issue for Braids menu https://github.com/VCVRack/AudibleInstruments/issues/2

I don't own Frames or Peaks, but I'd port either if I could borrow one to learn it. On a scale of 0-10, how menu-divey are they?

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 am

Vortico wrote:
I don't own Frames or Peaks, but I'd port either if I could borrow one to learn it. On a scale of 0-10, how menu-divey are they?
I'd loan you mine if we were somewhat more local..
Frames is simple enough to use in my opinion. Peaks is rather more fiddly however, albeit still a great module. I honestly think Peaks would benefit from considerable modification if it is to be implemented in Software form (CV control of each knob, for one). I'd probably break it down into a single (Peak?) module too, instead of dual. That along with a better way to view and select algorithms (Basically all the most popular feature requests, common grumbles and arguably the very reasons why MI no longer produce this module)

Fantastic job so far tho Vortico :tu:

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:11 am

Had some more fun with VCV, this time pinging the vcf.. It works nice!
I notice about the filter is that the freq don't go low enought if you use it as a sound source (pinging or as an oscillator) so I tried sending a negative voltage to the CV input but don't have an effect and can't go lower. Would be great to extend the range , either altering the knob range, or with a "low" switch ala serge VCFX o just made it respond to negative voltages at the CV input when the knob is set at 0.
Hope to get nice BD sound pinging the beast, only bongos for now :deadbanana:

:tu:
Last edited by synthi on Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kymátika studio | facebook | soundcloud
Recording - mixing - mastering

shagrax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by shagrax » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am

nice one!
Thanks Vortico !

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:27 am

Some bug reports (i'm on windows 10):

1. My audio interface (RME HDSPe RayDAT) seems to have too many audio inputs/outputs. The dropdown menu of the audio interface module apparently tries to display them all by overlaying several dropdown menus on top of one another. That creates a flickering mess which makes it pretty much impossible to select an output. I'm having some trouble documenting this, as a screenshot is static and doesn't display the issue. But I assume it's not too hard to recreate with some test-data.

2. I can't paste my password into the password field. Not a big deal for a beta, but typing a randomly generated string 25+ character string every time I start the program... not so great.

Sadly can't test it further as I literally can't select an audio device at all.

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:04 am

This is incredible work. Thank you so much for releasing this, especially in an open-source manner. Having a package manager built-in with the first public beta was a great move.

1) Any timeline on the plugin SDK or instructions for creating modules? I'd potentially like to contribute.

2) Like others have mentioned, I'm getting low CPU usage on the modules (like 1-2% on Rings) but very high CPU usage reports from the audio interface module (90% or so). Unlike the other reports, I'm getting this on Mac with the default output selected.

3) Is it possible to connect one output to two destinations? I don't see anything listed in the Wiki. For now, I'm just using the Links emulation.

4) One quick suggestion is to port Sheep if you already have Tides (same interface and everything: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/tides/firmware/). In the Tides code, there's a #define for WAVETABLE_HACK. If you uncomment one line, it turns Tides into an excellent wavetable oscillator/LFO: https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack ... ator.h#L37

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am

x2mirko wrote:Some bug reports (i'm on windows 10):

1. My audio interface (RME HDSPe RayDAT) seems to have too many audio inputs/outputs. The dropdown menu of the audio interface module apparently tries to display them all by overlaying several dropdown menus on top of one another. That creates a flickering mess which makes it pretty much impossible to select an output. I'm having some trouble documenting this, as a screenshot is static and doesn't display the issue. But I assume it's not too hard to recreate with some test-data.
I`m having the same issue in windows7 when I connected both the AIRA + Iconnect audio interfaces. It seems that try to display all in a single sccreen (no scroll) and the names overlap and flick all over the place.
I managed to select the interface with some blind trial/error. :hihi:

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 am

Yes! having stackcables emulated (the gfx are already there!) would be great!

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Mac issue fixed and working here great in OS X 10.8.5.
Thank You!

And Damn you!
There goes any free time I had been pretending to have!

:love:

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:52 pm

On Mac 10.10.5 from pre-build binary, any time I save as, the file saves, but the File pulldown will not go away. I resort to shutting down the app and restarting. In the following pic, the file has been saved and that dialog goes away, but the UI stays like this and accepts no other input besides command-Q:

Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

Kaput
merry prankster

Post by Kaput » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:06 pm

Is it just me (user error) or does the sequencer gates not work as expected? If I fire two or more consecutive steps, the gate doesn't fire. For it to work, I have to leave out every other gate... :hmm:

Great work though! :woah:

haebbmaster
Common Wiggler

Post by haebbmaster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:09 pm

I downloaded https://vcvrack.com/downloads/Rack-0.3.0-lin.zip
but it doesn't work because he needs glibc 2.25 but I have 2.24

./Rack: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by ./libzip.so.5)

Ubuntu 17.04

any ideas?
thank you

synthi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Kaput wrote:Is it just me (user error) or does the sequencer gates not work as expected? If I fire two or more consecutive steps, the gate doesn't fire. For it to work, I have to leave out every other gate... :hmm:

Great work though! :woah:
Same here, seem to "tie" all gates in a continuous voltage

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

thelizard wrote:This is incredible work. Thank you so much for releasing this, especially in an open-source manner. Having a package manager built-in with the first public beta was a great move.

1) Any timeline on the plugin SDK or instructions for creating modules? I'd potentially like to contribute.

4) One quick suggestion is to port Sheep if you already have Tides (same interface and everything: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/tides/firmware/). In the Tides code, there's a #define for WAVETABLE_HACK. If you uncomment one line, it turns Tides into an excellent wavetable oscillator/LFO: https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack ... ator.h#L37
Ignore #1. I found the repos. I'm having trouble with the makefiles, but I'll report back if I figure out what's different on my setup. Currently, wget is complaining about invalid addresses.

For #4, I think that I could do this and put in a pull request. Essentially, you should just be able to duplicate Tides.cpp in the Audible branch and slip "#define WAVETABLE_HACK" before "#include "tides/generator.h". Of course, the class will need to be renamed as well. I'll see how quickly I can get my repos working.

I opened an issue for Branches not having input normalization, but that's also something I'll fix. I'll put in a pull request once I have it working.

Oblivion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Oblivion » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 pm

x2mirko wrote:Some bug reports (i'm on windows 10):

2. I can't paste my password into the password field. Not a big deal for a beta, but typing a randomly generated string 25+ character string every time I start the program... not so great.
I hadn't seen this before - I duped this as an Issue on github. Same problem on Mac.
Perpetual n00b.
Budding Phonogeneticist.

eircom
Common Wiggler

Post by eircom » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Ok. An attempt to sum up the bugs I've encountered so far.

1. Warps Algo CV IN seems to do nothing
2. Sample frequency, login and password are forgotten every time the app is closed (macos sierra here). Sample freq reverts to 44100 Hz.
3. Sequencer gates don't work in trig inputs (is this the intended behavior?)
4. Consecutive sequencer gates indeed seem to tie together
5. Clouds port is missing buttons

Anyway, it's amazing piece of code.

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:23 pm

:yay:

This is really great

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 pm

Are there any additional build steps required on OS X not listed in the repo?

wget failed for making the dependencies, so I installed wget through homebrew. That fixed that step.

cmake fails while building glfw. I could install cmake through homebrew if needed.

When it's building jansson, I get "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables". I reinstalled the XCode command line tools just to be sure. The problem persists.

Is there some configuration step that I'm missing? Is there something else failing quietly in the background?

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:47 pm

^ Yes, I should list the build deps. Could you email me the terminal output near "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"? contact@vcvrack.com

thelizard
in it for the money

Post by thelizard » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Vortico wrote:^ Yes, I should list the build deps. Could you email me the terminal output near "configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables"? contact@vcvrack.com
I figured out what was happening. First, installing cmake fixes the one cmake error for glfw.

The C compiler issue is due to the SDK CFLAG:
export CFLAGS = -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.7.sdk \
-mmacosx-version-min=10.7

I changed "MacOSX10.7.sdk" to "MacOSX.sdk" (i.e. the current version... I'm on 10.12) and it got through *most* of the dependency compilation. I ran into trouble when compiling libsamplerate, as it depends on old Carbon headers:
audio_out.c:38:3: warning: redefinition of typedef 'AUDIO_OUT' is a C11 feature [-Wtypedef-redefinition]
} AUDIO_OUT ;
^
./audio_out.h:9:28: note: previous definition is here
typedef struct AUDIO_OUT_s AUDIO_OUT ;
^
audio_out.c:435:10: fatal error: 'Carbon.h' file not found
#include <Carbon.h>
I'll try getting the 10.7 SDK installed and seeing if that clears up everything.

After I get this up-and-running, I'll submit some pull requests for Branches and Sheep.

EDIT: Oh goody, I just remembered how difficult it is to install old SDKs for XCode 8 :lol:

Vortico
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Vortico » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:14 pm

I really need a way for the Makefile to select which MacOS SDK to use, so people like you don't need to go through the trouble of finding old SDKs, and people like me can just add a Makefile flag to produce a build with maximum compatibility.

Return to “Music Software”